List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a problem. Michael Tuck had the physique of a skun rabbit. Could see Blakey with the same body type. Could only hope for the same durability.

It's a big problem if want him to be a key position player one day.

I think he looks better as a midfielder anyway.

Lol, dumbest analysis around.

We lose contested possessions and inside 50s, therefore get more back men.

"sYDNEY SWANS

Defensive depth

There are a few areas for improvement for the Swans to address. They ranked last for points scored from stoppages, 17th for contested possession differential and 17th for inside 50 differential. Denver Grainger-Barras will very likely to go to the Swans with Pick 4 and will offer a way to stem the bleeding in defence when faced with inside 50 onslaughts as well as future-proofing the side for when seasoned veterans like Dane Rampe hang up the boots."
Whoever wrote this obviously thinks we are taking DGB and has made his analysis fit the pick.

especially if we get word the Guilden will go first rd, may as well trade out next years for a top 10 this yeaR as it would go back a bit next year, plus I back us to be better than a top 5 pick next year.

I think we have focussed in the last few drafts on guys that can kick well with pace
Yep it's flown under the radar a bit but we now have some great ball users such that a player like Florent stands out because he's not a great kick. Some of our ball movement at times last year was outstanding. It has enabled us to change our game style.

especially if we get word the Guilden will go first rd, may as well trade out next years for a top 10 this yeaR as it would go back a bit next year, plus I back us to be better than a top 5 pick next year.

The first round currently as it stands ends after Pick 21, but with bids expected on academy/FS players JUH, Campbell, McInnes, Jones and Coleman before or around where a possible Gulden bid would come, that would push the end of the first round to Pick 27. That would then see other academy players expected to go around the mid to late 20's then come into play and could push the end of the first round to Pick 30. This no ordinary first round this year.

Gulden will be a First Round pick purely because of the length of the first round this year. Our worry is where he'll be selected. We will want him to go around Pick 20, still a first round selection but no deficit for next year.

The first round currently as it stands ends after Pick 21, but with bids expected on academy/FS players JUH, Campbell, McInnes, Jones and Coleman before or around where a possible Gulden bid would come, that would push the end of the first round to Pick 27. That would then see other academy players expected to go around the mid to late 20's then come into play and could push the end of the first round to Pick 30. This no ordinary first round this year.

Gulden will be a First Round pick purely because of the length of the first round this year. Our worry is where he'll be selected. We will want him to go around Pick 20, still a first round selection but no deficit for next year.

I dont see the deficit making a big/any difference next year.

I dont have the mental arithmetic skills for it but we have enough points for Campbell, the question is more so how many academy bids before Gulden. I 100% expect Jones and McInness but it's not out of the question Downie (Hawthorn) or Walker (Freo) get taken before Gulden which would be a win. Hell, it's not even a 100% given Campbell isnt after McInness and/or Jones.

The closer we get the more i start to believe we could theoretically have a live pick in the mid 50's at the end of the night if we wanted it

I'll tell you a funny story.
Mickey O is my all time favourite Swan.
About 5 years ago.
My sister knew nothing about AFL. She lives in Sydney. Her husband is a rugby coach. They are both into rugby union big time. He has coached two Shute Shield teams. He is a school teacher and has coached plenty of private school rugby teams very successfully.
She went to a party at a friends place there were about 4 other families there. Great party every had a great time few drinks. She told me the kids were all dancing on the dining table. She met one bloke and asked him what he did. He said he was coaching with the Swans. She asked him whether he had played AFL. He said he had played a few games. When she got home she googled him and she said "I have never been so embarrassed in my life".
Micky O's book was the greatest AFL book I have ever read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just tune out when an 'expert' says we need to take DGB because we need a key position defender.

It's not a slight on DGB, he may well be the best available player, but KPD is pretty much the only position on the ground that we actually have reasonable depth. Whereas we have gaps in nearly every other position on the ground.

Not to mention that KPD would have to be the easiest position on the ground to fill if you really have to. You could have had Tom McDonald for basically nothing this year if you really needed someone.
I consider the taking of DGB at pick 3 (4) is pretty much the same thing as selecting a 30 y/o 3rd rate ruck with that pick.
He may be a very good intercept marking defender but we already had one of those who we gave to Port Adelaide in order to gain a draft pick that we could use to get Hickey. Many people have said that Aliir had a poor year last this year which is probably true. Then again, when you are asked to play in every bloody position bar the one you are best suited to, most would have a poor year.
Others have stated, trading Aliir was ok because we already have depth in that area hence he will not be greatly missed. If that's the case why are we using our lowest pick for decades on someone to replace him?
I truly hope that DGB goes on to have a very successful career but I just hope that it is with some other club.

I consider the taking of DGB at pick 3 (4) is pretty much the same thing as selecting a 30 y/o 3rd rate ruck with that pick.
He may be a very good intercept marking defender but we already had one of those who we gave to Port Adelaide in order to gain a draft pick that we could use to get Hickey. Many people have said that Aliir had a poor year last this year which is probably true. Then again, when you are asked to play in every bloody position bar the one you are best suited to, most would have a poor year.
Others have stated, trading Aliir was ok because we already have depth in that area hence he will not be greatly missed. If that's the case why are we using our lowest pick for decades on someone to replace him?
I truly hope that DGB goes on to have a very successful career but I just hope that it is with some other club.

I agree with what you are saying about Aliir but I am not sure what that has to do with DGB. Aliir was a great interceptor but not brilliant one on one. DGB is apparently really good at both.

If DGB is the best player, Id be more than happy for us to take him.

I just don't think KPD is our most pressing need, especially with such a high selection - when it is so hard to find good forwards and classy midfielders.

Just a note on DGB/McDonald, since they are being compared to Hollands and Phillip, and these players could not have had a more different year.

Firstly, I do think Phillips is the most certain and probably best that'll reach us, but I also feel some are unfair towards the kids that played this year. DGB has been consistently solid and has shown a great attitude, while McDonalds improvement has been immense, but often times we look back to the Vic kids assuming that they could of easily done the same, or that since they are still in the conversation means that they practically better.

DGB and McDonald could only best those that they played against, and for the most part, they did, and that should be respected.

Aliir looked brilliant in 2016, but other than a few good games in 2019 has done stuff all. He is terrible one on one and his disposal has dropped off significantly since 2016.

Dawson easily covers what ever Aliir could offer in 2021 in terms of 3rd man up, especially with McCartin going to chb.

if we take DGB it's not an Aliir replacement, it's an addition and upgrade to our key defensive stocks.

Just a note on DGB/McDonald, since they are being compared to Hollands and Phillip, and these players could not have had a more different year.

Firstly, I do think Phillips is the most certain and probably best that'll reach us, but I also feel some are unfair towards the kids that played this year. DGB has been consistently solid and has shown a great attitude, while McDonalds improvement has been immense, but often times we look back to the Vic kids assuming that they could of easily done the same, or that since they are still in the conversation means that they practically better.

DGB and McDonald could only best those that they played against, and for the most part, they did, and that should be respected.
Add to that both McDonald and DGB played in the victorious WA under 18 champs team and both made bests as under Agers. A team that comfortably beat a team with Rowell Anderson and McAsey in it.

It’s ridiculous to assume they were not already bloody good.

Last edited:
I feel that we should aggressively pursue a swap of next years 1st if we can.
I think that we have gone deeper on the rebuild than we wanted as we havent been able to bring in any decent experienced players and have lost Hanners and now Aliir.
The problem that presents is that if we rebuild too slowly our experienced top line players like kennedy, Buddy, Rampe and Parker will have very little time to help bring through the young players before they retire and as we have seen with clubs like Melbourne and Carlton a lack of onfield leadership and setting of standards can really stunt players development. This could potentially be worsened by the reduction in football department spending leading to fewer coaches per developing player.
If we can pick up 4 1st round players in this draft and make good decisions with the 2 non academy draftees we can really reduce the gaps in the list quickly with the remaining gaps filled with trades and free agents from the freed up salary cap once Buddy's contract is up.

I get the logic of trading our 2021 rounder into this draft but ultimately we'll lose value, unless we do a straight swap for GCs 5.
I'd like to see the club keep it and use it for trade capital. That way we can bring in a star without having to trade away players which we've developed and upset the team.
We'll look pretty foolish if we finish bottom 5 again and we've traded our pick for Richmond's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back