2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We should of just traded 27 and 37 for 14 of this report is correct

also interesting that there is some concerns with Holland’s reconstruction, whether people were being ultra cautious or there is an issue I guess time will tell. If he is all good then we have a bargain on our hands
Bulldog need to keep pick 14 for Treloar , can't see it happening .

You never really know how someone will come back from an ACL injury until they start playing again. Look at Max King two years ago. At the beginning of the year he was considered the strong favourite to be selected with the number 1 pick (similar to Hollands at the beginning of this year) but tore his ACL around the start of the season and slid down the draft order. I'm certain there were similar concerns about his recovery in the lead up to the '18 draft but St Kilda took a chance on him and seem to be reaping the benefits now. Perhaps the Max King situation is a big factor behind our willingness to draft Hollands when other clubs before us in the draft order were cautious. We had the chance to draft Max King two years ago but chose to err on the side of caution and draft Luko + Rankine. Don't get me wrong, Luko and Rankine are great but there's a reason why Max King was the consensus number 1 draft pick at the beginning of 2018. Will he ever reach those initial predicted heights? Who knows but what we do know is he's already significantly contributing at the AFL level after his first proper season of pro footy. He also played 18 of a possible 19 games this year and doesn't seem to be having any issues with his knee.

Therefore, I think we're more confident about an ACL recovery to a potential star player than we would have been two years ago. Nothing is guaranteed but as long as our rehab/recovery team does the right thing, then the Hollands selection should look like a masterstroke when he's ready to make his AFL debut.
Are you saying Lukosius and Rankine is not as good as Max king or not contributing .

Last edited:
Are you saying Lukosius and Rankine is not as good as Max king or not contributing .
Definitely not. I'm just purely looking at output at the AFL level so far and Max King's 22 goals in 18 games measures up when compared to Rankine's 12 goals in 12 games and Luko's 6 goals in 38 games. Obviously Luko has been playing as a defender so his numbers aren't really a fair reflection on his performances to date but all three were drafted as forwards so you would have expected a key stat like goal kicking to be a good way of comparing the three. Luko's goal kicking aside, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Max King's output to date has been just as good (if not better) as/than Luko or Rankine's and therefore it backs up the theory that the guy who is earmarked as the heavy favourite for the number 1 draft pick will likely still end up contributing at a high level despite injury concerns as a junior. That's all I'm saying.

Before anyone has a go, I'm very happy to have Luko and Rankine on our list. I was just purely using Max King as an example of why the Hollands selection could end up being one of our best draft picks ever.

Definitely not. I'm just purely looking at output at the AFL level so far and Max King's 22 goals in 18 games measures up when compared to Rankine's 12 goals in 12 games and Luko's 6 goals in 38 games. Obviously Luko has been playing as a defender so his numbers aren't really a fair reflection on his performances to date but all three were drafted as forwards so you would have expected a key stat like goal kicking to be a good way of comparing the three. Luko's goal kicking aside, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Max King's output to date has been just as good (if not better) as/than Luko or Rankine's and therefore it backs up the theory that the guy who is earmarked as the heavy favourite for the number 1 draft pick will likely still end up contributing at a high level despite injury concerns as a junior. That's all I'm saying.

Before anyone has a go, I'm very happy to have Luko and Rankine on our list. I was just purely using Max King as an example of why the Hollands selection could end up being one of our best draft picks ever.
No doubt Hollands selection could end up to be a fantastic pick up. He was predicted to be a pick 1 for a reason before ACL. But he could also end up a bust if he does multiple ACLs. Certainly, there is a higher re-injury risk with Hollands. I am happy SUNS took the risk. Hollands should complement the list nicely. Interestingly, it appears that North valued Hollands and Phillips equally and went with Phillips due to lower injury risk. It would had been interesting to see who SUNS would choose if they were in North position. Probably Luke McDonald or Denver :)

I don' like your comparisons. All have a potential to be great players. Saying that all were drafted as forwards is misleading. Obviously, Rankine plays completely different role and position. And yes, Max had a better season than Rankine. Luko on the other hand, as a distributor, I personally believe had a better season than Max and was more valuable for the team. In fact, our own Ben was a better forward than Max this year IMHO. At least, he scored more goals than Max if you want to use the goal stat. So maybe St Kilda made a mistake by drafting Max instead of Ben. Let's see in 3-4 years.

No doubt Hollands selection could end up to be a fantastic pick up. He was predicted to be a pick 1 for a reason before ACL. But he could also end up a bust if he does multiple ACLs. Certainly, there is a higher re-injury risk with Hollands. I am happy SUNS took the risk. Hollands should complement the list nicely. Interestingly, it appears that North valued Hollands and Phillips equally and went with Phillips due to lower injury risk. It would had been interesting to see who SUNS would choose if they were in North position. Probably Luke McDonald or Denver :)

I don' like your comparisons. All have a potential to be great players. Saying that all were drafted as forwards is misleading. Obviously, Rankine plays completely different role and position. And yes, Max had a better season than Rankine. Luko on the other hand, as a distributor, I personally believe had a better season than Max and was more valuable for the team. In fact, our own Ben was a better forward than Max this year IMHO. At least, he scored more goals than Max if you want to use the goal stat. So maybe St Kilda made a mistake by drafting Max instead of Ben. Let's see in 3-4 years.
That's fine. You don't have to agree with the comparison but it was really only used to make the point about selecting a high touted prospect who tore his ACL in his draft year. Do you think Matt Rowell would have also slid down the draft order if he had torn his ACL at the beginning of the 2019 season? If he had, then the club that picked him up later in the draft would have been laughing!

As you've correctly pointed out, Ben King has shown plenty in his short career and may end up being the best of the four. We're still in the very early stages of all their careers so you can't get too carried away but if Ben has the best career after being taken with pick 6 then it just goes to show that it's almost impossible to correctly predict these things before they are drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back