2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_0285.JPG
I’m honestly lost as to why so many people are against us getting Adam, he’s an absolute Jet and would improve us dramatically as soon as he walks in the door, he’s a true professional and would really set the standard for our young group on what it takes to be elite as currently we don’t have any elite players on our roster. If we can get him and the pies chip in on his wage it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 997913
I’m honestly lost as to why so many people are against us getting Adam, he’s an absolute Jet and would improve us dramatically as soon as he walks in the door, he’s a true professional and would really set the standard for our young group on what it takes to be elite as currently we don’t have any elite players on our roster. If we can get him and the pies chip in on his wage it’s a no brainer.

+1

I’d happily pay pick 5 for him

View attachment 997913

I think we are so over players not wanting to come here. He hasn’t demonstrated anything to date that suggests he would even entertain playing for us.
If he wants to be here and we only pay a fair price, I think most would welcome him.

View attachment 997913

I can’t speak for others but for me the issue is he doesn’t want to come And we need people that don’t want to be here like a second arsehole
EDIT. Also he has a huge contract that will cost us some of our elite kids

I can’t speak for others but for me the issue is he doesn’t want to come And we need people that don’t want to be here like a second arsehole

amen..
do we want 👑Rowell on 900k a year in 3 years..
or a 31yr old 👨🏼‍🦳Treloar?

🤯

Could also pose the question, do you want to run Rowell into the ground by relying on him too much early on or get some great players around him?

FWIW I would take Treloar if he seemed invested in the club, but he doesn't seem keen to be part of the Sun's, so move on and find someone else.

Could also pose the question, do you want to run Rowell into the ground by relying on him too much early on or get some great players around him?

FWIW I would take Treloar if he seemed invested in the club, but he doesn't seem keen to be part of the Sun's, so move on and find someone else.
The Suns need Firepower , Treloar is not a big goal kicker like Degorey, in recruiting this year whether its Free agents or academy kids the ability to kick a goal need to be our main focus

So with all the free talent the Suns have access to from the NT the Suns may only use 1 pick. Picks 24 and 33 excess to requirements and the club would obviously like a future pick(s).

So what future pick(s) gets 24 and 33 given they will slide with compo picks and NGA bids? 24 slides to 30ish and 33 to 39 ish.

Reported clubs are hesitant to trade future picks this year as next years draft looks very promising.

Would the Eagles 2021 2nd get it done for 30 + 39 after adjustments?

Maybe their future 2nd and future 3rd?

Very difficult to value current picks a club doesn't need with future picks.

Completely agree, he must want to come here.

His pride is taking a massive battering at the moment and he is deliberately blanking us as he knows the Pies desperately want him to come here.

He understandably being defiant.

The Pies have already used that pick 5 and spent the extra $4+ mil in their dreams.

But bringing in Treloar wouldn't cost us our elite kids, it would likely have the opposite effect.

Having an A-grade player running through the midfield will only entice our elite kids to stick it out.
He would instantly make us a better team. Give us more wins. And make the top 8 a real possibility next season.

That's how we want to keep our elite kids around. Not by overpaying them.

The players we would eventually lose for Treloar would be from further cleaning out of our fringe players like Fiorini $500k, Brodie $400k, etc.
2 overpaid fringe midfielders wages = 1 x A grade midfielder Treloar.

And if the Pies pay $200k per year, Treloar is no longer overpriced.

But the whole scenario is moot unless he changes his mind.

So with all the free talent the Suns have access to from the NT the Suns may only use 1 pick. Picks 24 and 33 excess to requirements and the club would obviously like a future pick(s).

So what future pick(s) gets 24 and 33 given they will slide with compo picks and NGA bids? 24 slides to 30ish and 33 to 39 ish.

Reported clubs are hesitant to trade future picks this year as next years draft looks very promising.

Would the Eagles 2021 2nd get it done for 30 + 39 after adjustments?

Maybe their future 2nd and future 3rd?

Very difficult to value current picks a club doesn't need with future picks.
I think we might be shy after past dealings with your club ( not your issue but ours) as our old mate Clayton stitched us up before moving to your mob. 4 second roundrs for you first rounder that ended up being only 3 picks shy of one of the four we handed over. What your proposing is not dissimilar

The club has been heavily linked to Collingwood’s Adam Treloar. Is there any interest from the Suns for the midfielder?

“It’s not really our issue because he is not our player and he has shown no interest in coming to us.

“If it worked out then great but I can’t see how it would. He is not in that 26 or under age group that we were talking about for pick 5.

“If that changed and Adam did approach us then I don’t think we could tell him a flat no because he is a very talented player.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How big is your interest in Adelaide midfielder Rory Atkins and Richmond defender Oleg Markov and what do you think each could add to the side?

“Rory is an outside power runner. I think it sets up our wings with him and Brandon (Ellis)

“We are sorted on the wings and we have young Jeremy Sharp coming through. I just think it helps our running power.

“With Pearce (Hanley) retiring at the end of the season and Harbs (Jarrod Harbrow) probably going into his last season we want to bolster our rebounding defensive stocks and we think Oleg can do that.

Treloar is honestly my favourite Collingwood player and has been for a while, But I'm struggling to see if we really need any midfield stars with Rowell and more so Anderson showing a lot more than expected at this point already. Maybe we should keep going for a KPD or just draft Grainger-Barrass with pick 5??

How confident are you that the Suns can secure both targets, particularly given Atkins is an unrestricted free agent and you won’t have to give up any picks to get him?

“We will hopefully lodge the paperwork for Rory on Friday and I’m confident we will get a deal done for Oleg.

“Oleg is pretty keen to come to us and Richmond are a pretty good club to deal with so it could be done on the first day (of the trade period, starting November 4).”

Does the club have any other trade targets?

“Not really. We have been pretty targeted with what we have done. We have been targeted with the players we have brought in and we will continue down that path.”

Are Peter Wright and Will Brodie on the trade table?

“They have asked if we would consider it. They are contracted so if they stay with us then everything is fine.

“They have also asked if there is a possibility for them to get more game time somewhere else then would we look to trade them. They haven’t nominated any clubs yet but we are happy to provide a trade should it work for them and the club.”

Have any other Suns players requested a trade?

“No, which is good for us. It’s probably the first time in a long time. We have built a strong culture and it’s showing.”

What were ultimately the stumbling blocks for both Wright and Brodie at the Suns?

“Ben (King) and Sam (Day) held down those key spots and in the midfield probably Hugh Greenwood came in probably hurt Will. Noah (Anderson) also went inside in the last half of the year.”

Are there any concerns that if Wright and Brodie leave it would hurt the depth the club was starting to build on the list?

“No, our depth is OK, especially in the midfield area. We have had a lot of draft picks in the last couple of years so we have brought in a lot of players.”

Do you feel like you have a list that can grow into a premiership team?

I think so. It’s not easy to win a flag. The most important thing is to give yourself a chance and get into finals. I think we can build to a premiership, which is our aim, but the number one thing is to consistently make finals. It’s not rocket science, it just takes time and patience.”

How is the club positioned with its salary cap and will you be in a position to chase a big fish in the upcoming years?

“Our cap is OK. We front-ended a lot of contracts so if we have to move some back that won’t be a problem. That gives us more space at the back end. We have room (for a big fish) but we want to do that when we know we are about to pounce.”

You have been able to retain your concessions from the AFL, are Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey the two most likely to be listed by the club?

“They are the most prominent ones but there are a couple of other guys in the Academy who are worth a look at. I know other teams are looking at our Academy guys as well. This year’s Academy is really strong.”

Thanks Corkie, so it seems that Atkins and Oleg look like the 2 definite incomings. There is room for a big fish but we won't spend it unless we can find the right big fish, but they want to wait for when we are competing more. Seems like pretty leveled reasoning across the board.

Last edited:
Thanks Corkie, so it seems that Atkins and Oleg look like the 2 definite incomings. There is room for a big fish but we won't spend it unless we get a big fish, but they want to wait for when we are competing more. Seems like pretty leveled reasoning across the board.

Good to hear we seem to have been managing our cap pretty well and front loading contracts while we aren’t really paying too many big money. Should free up quite a bit of money once the younger guys are looking for those big contracts.

Most importantly, thank god it’s not a case of us just overpaying everyone.

You have been able to retain your concessions from the AFL, are Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey the two most likely to be listed by the club?

“They are the most prominent ones but there are a couple of other guys in the Academy who are worth a look at. I know other teams are looking at our Academy guys as well. This year’s Academy is really strong.”

Are Peter Wright and Will Brodie on the trade table?

“They have asked if we would consider it. They are contracted so if they stay with us then everything is fine.

“They have also asked if there is a possibility for them to get more game time somewhere else then would we look to trade them. They haven’t nominated any clubs yet but we are happy to provide a trade should it work for them and the club.”

Have any other Suns players requested a trade?

“No, which is good for us. It’s probably the first time in a long time. We have built a strong culture and it’s showing.”

That puts those trade request rumours to bed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back