2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Twomey’s point is, even if there is a bid on JUH at pick 1, the Dogs will still match.

So the club is telling the player that it then selects at pick 2, that he was the clubs second choice.

You then have the media run with the club failing to draft its top target, and settling for second best.

Not to mention the club having to introduce their new player to members and sponsors as their second choice.

I still think we need to pick the best player available regardless of the pick. But we have had one round so there is a lot more footy to be played so who knows we could finish higher than last which everyone is expecting.

I still think we need to pick the best player available regardless of the pick. But we have had one round so there is a lot more footy to be played so who knows we could finish higher than last which everyone is expecting.
But that’s the point with any bid on JUH, you won’t be picking him.

Agree on you might not finish last, but the Twomey discussion was, if GC (or which ever team) finishes last, should they bid on JUH with pick 1, even knowing that the Bulldogs will match.

But that’s the point with any bid on JUH, you won’t be picking him.

Agree on you might not finish last, but the Twomey discussion was, if GC (or which ever team) finishes last, should they bid on JUH with pick 1, even knowing that the Bulldogs will match.
Is JUH the best player in the draft? If he is he deserves to be picked first regardless of whether he is an academy player or not. Fact remains this year isn’t like last year where Rowell was a clear stand out

I don't really like how opposition supporters come in here and act like it's a foregone conclusion that we are going to get the spoon this year and ask us what we're going to do with pick 1. We've played three games this year and were very good in two of those showings against decent opposition - I know some of you are about to make a 'preseason doesn't count' argument but it's currently June and we've seen three games of footy so cool your jets. Plus we've only received the spoon twice in our history and one of those years was our first when we had more than 70% of our list under the age of 20.

How about we get a little deeper into the season before you start asking us what we're going to do with pick 1?

Is JUH the best player in the draft? If he is he deserves to be picked first regardless of whether he is an academy player or not. Fact remains this year isn’t like last year where Rowell was a clear stand out
So if the Suns have pick 1, you’re happy for the Suns to bid on JUH at 1, have the Bulldogs match the bid, then you draft a different kid at your new pick 2.

I don't really like how opposition supporters come in here and act like it's a foregone conclusion that we are going to get the spoon this year and ask us what we're going to do with pick 1. We've played three games this year and were very good in two of those showings against decent opposition - I know some of you are about to make a 'preseason doesn't count' argument but it's currently June and we've seen three games of footy so cool your jets. Plus we've only received the spoon twice in our history and one of those years was our first when we had more than 70% of our list under the age of 20.

How about we get a little deeper into the season before you start asking us what we're going to do with pick 1?
I understand what you’re saying.

I thought I was pretty clear I was repeating Twomey, after the Dogs supporter introduced the topic.

If he’s the best then why not?
Yep no problem whatsoever.
There will be a lot of opposition and draft fans who would like to see that.

Would ruin my “obvious” trade for the Suns, to package their two second round picks and trade them to the Dogs for their first round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Wright is a bit like Shaun McKernan. If you were to go after Wright which I think would require a pretty sweet deal as he plays with his best mate Miller and has a house and partner up on the Gold Coast. Would require overs being paid which won’t happen as Dodoro a will expect him for a bag of chips.
Dorodo is a narcissistic fool that sees a win / win as a loss. I wouldn’t even pick up the phone

Interesting that Flanders stayed on the coast.
And Rowell and Anderson are close to re signing

Yeah the other interesting aspect mentioned previously is 41 of 51 players are contracted next year so we won’t be to active in the market unless we trade out. I’m led to believe those 10 are:

Corey Ellis, Anthony Miles, George Horlin Smith, Jacob Dawson, Jacob Heron, Josh Schoenfeld, Sam Fletcher, Mitch Riordan, Jarrod Harbrow and Jesse Joyce.

Besides Joyce and Harbrow don’t see the others getting a contract. On that basis pending no changes to our list size that means 3 main list and 5 rookie spots. With Davies and Jeffrey discussed as pretty much locks per Cameron looks like we will take 3 picks to the draft. Will have to be creative to open list spots for any trade targets which they advised is the plan for 2020.

Yeah the other interesting aspect mentioned previously is 41 of 51 players are contracted next year so we won’t be to active in the market unless we trade out. I’m led to believe those 10 are:

Corey Ellis, Anthony Miles, George Horlin Smith, Jacob Dawson, Jacob Heron, Josh Schoenfeld, Sam Fletcher, Mitch Riordan, Jarrod Harbrow and Jesse Joyce.

Besides Joyce and Harbrow don’t see the others getting a contract. On that basis pending no changes to our list size that means 3 main list and 5 rookie spots. With Davies and Jeffrey discussed as pretty much locks per Cameron looks like we will take 3 picks to the draft. Will have to be creative to open list spots for any trade targets which they advised is the plan for 2020.
Hanley out of contract too?

The other thing Cameron said is that we have some signed contracts that are rookie this year but have to convert to senior list next year. Suspect that will be Budarick for sure and possibly Holman.

No way Budarick signs a normal rookie deal with us when he would have got drafted 2nd or 3rd round. He will be senior list next year. They way he spoke sounded like more than one of these 'rookie to senior list' contracts.

The other thing Cameron said is that we have some signed contracts that are rookie this year but have to convert to senior list next year. Suspect that will be Budarick for sure and possibly Holman.

No way Budarick signs a normal rookie deal with us when he would have got drafted 2nd or 3rd round. He will be senior list next year. They way he spoke sounded like more than one of these 'rookie to senior list' contracts.

Well Holman signed a 2 year contract last year and this year is his last on the rookie list. Would not surprise me if Hanley is either rookie listed or retires to open a list spot

Rookie list contracts are paid out of the soft cap.

With the soft cap being reduced rather significantly, I think (guess) all rookie contracts will be converted to senior list contracts, and that the AFL will get rid of the rookie list.

If lists are reduced, I believe a few clubs will be delisting players they’d prefer to keep.

As I’ve said previously, I can possibly see the Suns trading their two second round picks for either the Bulldogs or Collingwoods first round pick.

That would mean you prelist Davies and Jeffrey, and draft two first round talents.

And you still have 3 relatively high picks in next years draft as well, which is looking pretty deep. A lot of Vic Metro talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back