2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, forgot they didn’t accept the offer.
Even so..
Sucks giving up a first Rd pick for zero return 2 years later
Well it all started with Jack Martin PSD .

Interesting read from SA U18 coach saying Thilthorpe is more a ruckman than key forward. Still think Crows take him at #1.

RILEY THILTHORPE

Ruckman/key-forward
West Adelaide

18, 201cm, 102kg

Plays like: Brodie Grundy/Dean Cox

Draft range: 1-6

Tony Bamford says: “His athletic profile is outstanding for his height, because of his ability to run and his repeat speed. He is an absolute endurance beast. He’ll play ruck like an extra midfielder, the way (former West Coast star) Dean Cox used to play and how (Collingwood’s) Brodie Grundy does now. That’s his point of difference. I think he’s best suited as a ruckman, who can play as an extra midfielder. He still needs to learn more about forward craft, but that will come. This year he would have been our lead ruckman (in the AFL under-18 championships) and averaged 30 hit-outs, five clearances and 25 disposals.’’

We say: He’s not yet at the same level as Perth’s Logan McDonald as a forward, but, given his speed, clean hands and ability to win the ball, Thilthorpe, arguably, has a greater ceiling. And that probably outweighs the doubt around his absolute best position at this point. If the Crows don’t take him, he’s unlikely to slip much further down the order.

so we can take more then 1 live pick at draft?
We have to do some shuffling between senior and rookie lists if players like Budarick and Rosas have to go on senior list. I posted my view on it yesterday in this thread. I believe, at present, SUNS got 36 players on the senior list.

Possibly we could bet better players with pick 27, 37 than what's left after Jeffrey, Davis from our academy. For sure, we can create spots for these picks besides pick 5. Personally, I feel in general SUNS fans overestimate our academy kids.

Last edited:
We have to do some shuffling between senior and rookie lists if players like Budarick and Rosas have to go on senior list. I posted my view on it yesterday in this thread. I believe, at present, SUNS got 36 players on the senior list.

Possibly we could bet better players with pick 27, 37 than what's left after Jeffrey, Davis from our academy. For sure, we can create spots for these picks besides pick 5. Personally, I feel in general SUNS fans overestimate our academy kids.

what do you mean exactly we over estimate our academy kids?
We have zero choice whether we match bids and when etc.
This years a free hit, you kinda need to take Davies and Jefferies considering there supposed draft ranking is higher then our picks 27 and 37.
Your not going to not take them and then use pick 27 and 37!
I deffinetly over estimated Brad Scheers worth.
The QLD media talked him up as the next Michael Voss.
Seemed to lack second third and forth gear.

what do you mean exactly we over estimate our academy kids?
We have zero choice whether we match bids and when etc.
This years a free hit, you kinda need to take Davies and Jefferies considering there supposed draft ranking is higher then our picks 27 and 37.
Your not going to not take them and then use pick 27 and 37!
I deffinetly over estimated Brad Scheers worth.
The QLD media talked him up as the next Michael Voss.
Seemed to lack second third and forth gear.
Of course we pre-list Davies and Jeffrey who generaly agreed have AFL quality potential. I am talking about do we pre-list more academy players? Do we pre-list Lake, Pescud or instead use picks 27 and 37 on some kids who could actually turn out better players? There could be another Ballard hiding in the draft at pick 27 instead of pre-listing another Dawson/Heron.

We may keep 1-2 rookie spots for pre-season, mid-season drafts.

Last edited:
Of course we pre-list Davies and Jeffrey who generaly agreed have AFL quality potential. I am talking about after pre-listing them do we pre-list more academy players? Do we pre-list Lake, Pescud or instead use picks 27 and 37 on some kids who could actually turn out better players? There could be another Ballard hiding in the draft at pick 27 instead of pre-listing another Dawson/Heron.

i wonder if we might look at someone like Tom Highmore from the SANFL in the pre season draft to firm up a key back spot

Of course we pre-list Davies and Jeffrey who generaly agreed have AFL quality potential. I am talking about do we pre-list more academy players? Do we pre-list Lake, Pescud or instead use picks 27 and 37 on some kids who could actually turn out better players? There could be another Ballard hiding in the draft at pick 27 instead of pre-listing another Dawson/Heron.

I think you will find Lake is probably at that pick 37 range

I think you will find Lake is probably at that pick 37 range
You would hope that Raines, Burns, Cameron do their job and properly assess available talent and make right decisions.
Probably the only questionable decision in recent years is giving up two 2nd round picks for McLennan. Hopefully, Jez will step up in his 3rd year.

It will be interesting pre-listing/draft. Looking forward to it.

You would hope that Raines, Burns, Cameron do their job and properly assess available talent and make right decisions.
Probably the only questionable decision in recent years is giving up two 2nd round picks for McLennan. Hopefully, Jez will step up in his 3rd year.

It will be interesting pre-listing/draft. Looking forward to it.

Agree McLennan must of had something special for them to do what they did... But remember the Powell selection everyone though we were crazy.

Nothing to be proud of to pick a player at top 20 that are good ( Oscar Allen , Liam Ryan all turn out to be better than Powell at 20+ ) , pick players like Neale, William at 50+ and still get decent pick back is another story .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't have two many contracted players as demoted rookies as it blows your salary cap and probably means that you can only select 47 players instead of 50. Can't see why Conroy wouldn't be under the same conditions as Budarick and Rosa as recruited same time so with Holman we have to elevate 4 which brings up to 40 , add pick 5 we have to demote 3.

Likely to be Murdoch , Smith and Harbrow, give last couple of places to GC academy players which is the only reason we got the extra places granted by the AFL in the first place, that possible Heron could turn out to be a Sexton or Budarick who everyone said was too short to be an AFL footballer

You can't have two many contracted players as demoted rookies as it blows your salary cap and probably means that you can only select 47 players instead of 50. Can't see why Conroy wouldn't be under the same conditions as Budarick and Rosa as recruited same time so with Holman we have to elevate 4 which brings up to 40 , add pick 5 we have to demote 3.

Likely to be Murdoch , Smith and Harbrow, give last couple of places to GC academy players which is the only reason we got the extra places granted by the AFL in the first place, that possible Heron could turn out to be a Sexton or Budarick who everyone said was too short to be an AFL footballer
Heron isnt good enough at all. Has pace but no idea how to use it and just no footy I.Q

Heron isnt good enough at all. Has pace but no idea how to use it and just no footy I.Q
What I was saying was that yes a academy could be a miss like Heron but could end up like a Budarick
Joyce , Boston and Dawson had good moments so I think we really need to keep picking local products to survive in the king term as look at GWS once the success stops the go home factor kicks in, would pick up to 4 academy kids and see who does the best to keep in 2022

Why are people so concerned about us getting in second and third round picks this year? We're guaranteed to bring in three first round players this year with pick 5, Davies and Jeffrey. Second and third round picks will most likely be surplus for us this year and I'd actually rather see Cameron and co use our second and/or third round picks to acquire a useful 2021 pick OR use them to upgrade our pick 5 so we're guaranteed to bring in the kind of player we want. If we still have spots left after all that then go ahead and pre-list guys like Lake, Pescud etc to our rookie list where we should have a few spots remaining.

People tend to get carried away with picks beyond selection 20 but how often does a player taken that late actually end up becoming something special? Have a look at our recent history with picks taken beyond selection 20:

2019: Jeremy Sharp (Pick 27 - fringe player), Jy Farrar (Pick 60 - fringe player)
2018: Jez McLennan (Pick 23 - reserve player), Caleb Graham (Pick 71 - best 22 but only due to a lack of KPD depth)
2017: Charlie Ballard (Pick 42 - best 22 player), Brayden Crossley (Pick 52 - delisted), Connor Nutting (Pick 55 - delisted)
2016: Brad Scheer (Pick 67 - delisted)
2015: Josh Schoenfeld (Pick 32 - delisted), Mackenzie Willis (Pick 52 - delisted)

In the last five years, we've had one player worth mentioning that was taken with a pick beyond 20. 1/10 picks. 10%.

Finding a late draft gem isn't as easy as some people seem to think it is. I say let's focus on first round talent and not be so worried about giving up something like pick 37 if it improves our future drafting situation. We currently have the benefit of not having to worry about matching bids on our academy players so we should really take advantage of that and use our second/third round picks to trade into draft better situations.

Why are people so concerned about us getting in second and third round picks this year? We're guaranteed to bring in three first round players this year with pick 5, Davies and Jeffrey. Second and third round picks will most likely be surplus for us this year and I'd actually rather see Cameron and co use our second and/or third round picks to acquire a useful 2021 pick OR use them to upgrade our pick 5 so we're guaranteed to bring in the kind of player we want. If we still have spots left after all that then go ahead and pre-list guys like Lake, Pescud etc to our rookie list where we should have a few spots remaining.

People tend to get carried away with picks beyond selection 20 but how often does a player taken that late actually end up becoming something special? Have a look at our recent history with picks taken beyond selection 20:

2019: Jeremy Sharp (Pick 27 - fringe player), Jy Farrar (Pick 60 - fringe player)
2018: Jez McLennan (Pick 23 - reserve player), Caleb Graham (Pick 71 - best 22 but only due to a lack of KPD depth)
2017: Charlie Ballard (Pick 42 - best 22 player), Brayden Crossley (Pick 52 - delisted), Connor Nutting (Pick 55 - delisted)
2016: Brad Scheer (Pick 67 - delisted)
2015: Josh Schoenfeld (Pick 32 - delisted), Mackenzie Willis (Pick 52 - delisted)

In the last five years, we've had one player worth mentioning that was taken with a pick beyond 20. 1/10 picks. 10%.

Finding a late draft gem isn't as easy as some people seem to think it is. I say let's focus on first round talent and not be so worried about giving up something like pick 37 if it improves our future drafting situation. We currently have the benefit of not having to worry about matching bids on our academy players so we should really take advantage of that and use our second/third round picks to trade into draft better situations.
In my view, the only criteria should be the quality of players SUNS bring in. Sure, if it's 50 : 50 I would could with a academy player.

You could make a case how many SUNS academy players did not make it after spending some time on SUNS list. That is a long list. It does not matter how they ended up on our list - either through national draft, rookie draft or pre-list. Not sure how much SUNS benefited from having Heron and Dawson on the list except that they are great characters.

Pre-listing is a great help for us. If SUNS believe there is more AFL quality after Davies and Jeffrey by all means go for it and pre-list them.

Personally, I would be happy if we bring in only pick 5, Jeffrey and Davies and manage to trade 27, 37 for a future pick. I am a bit concern about our support team after cuts. It's an extra load on coaches, welfare staff to develop so many young players.

Stroppy mentioned here that most probably there is no special AFL rule requiring our pre-listed players to be moved on the senior list. I agree with him that it probably depends on a signed contract. I guess Budarick would be normally selected as 2nd round pick in national draft so it would makes sense his salary be the same as national draftees (105K) contrary to rookie draft (85K) and it's reasonable to expect he will be moved to senior list as per Cameron interview. Conroy on the other hand - I was actually surprised he was pre-selected as I doubt any other team would select him in national draft. He may have a promotion in his contract but it's reasonable to speculate he does not have a Budarick level contract as he was rookie draft quality in my opinion. We will find out soon.

Shuffling players between senior and rookie list does not really blow up our salary cap unless I am missing something. Rookie base salary (85K) is not counted against cap for all players on rookie list (including demoted players like e.g. Schoenfeld this year).

Let's say swap Murdoch and Budarick and speculate their salaries not including game payments.
2020 - Budarick 105K, Murdoch 350K -> 20 + 350 = 370K included in cap. 2021 - Budarick 120K, Murdoch 350K -> 120 + 265 = 385K included in cap. Do it for 4 players and we talk about 50-100K. Yes, salaries can vary from year to year but it should still be in a similar range and no blow out.

Last edited:
Picking up players at 2nd and 3rd round is a skill every club recruiters should have , without AFL concession or ending in the bottom half of tables every year .. Top 10 pick is great but to keep them or regenerate your list you need some role players.
Richmond might bring in lynch or Prestia but they also produce role players like Baker , Jayden short ,Graham , Pickett , Butler , canstagna , Balta , Broad etc .

* I don't blame media have their agenda for GCS to shut down if this concession don't work out. You can't always get the wrong management personal to manage you team. How many second chances and wasting pick GCS need. List managers jobs is manage your list not just upgrade second ,3rd pick to top pick and then trade the players out for peanut because of salary cap or offering 3 to 5 years deal to average players just to make them happy to come .

Last edited:
Because the ability to prelist academy players ends this year, do you think that could factor into the club pre listing more than usual?
As next year onwards would have to use picks to pick them up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have no problem with pre listing , but that is just part of the jobs , those second Rd pick should not be wasted if GCS cannot move up further from pick 5.

I have no problem with pre listing , but that is just part of the jobs , those second Rd pick should not be wasted if GCS cannot move up further from pick 5.

Could always trade them for picks next year which is meant to be a better draft. Meant to be 2018 like. A super draft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back