2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only assume our inability to bargain was taken by the inability to use this pick.

the late change making us put Jeffries and Davies on the main list may have changed planning last minute

on face value if looks like horrible value.

I can only assume our inability to bargain was taken by the inability to use this pick.

the late change making us put Jeffries and Davies on the main list may have changed planning last minute

on face value if looks like horrible value.

We just held onto the pick too long. That is a fail but an understandable fail.

Trying to move up from 5, so held the pick. Whoops.
Thinking that if list spots go in our favour, we might be able to use it. Whoops.
Waiting too long and then trying to find anybody to trade us a future pick? Hello? Bueller? Bueller?

Also would be a big risk taking a 2nd rounder to the draft that we can't actually use.
Yes, someone might get desperate to trade up. In a normal year they would. But most clubs are not going to use a lot of picks this COVID year.

No doubt that the most desperate person in the room would be us as the pick approaches!
Never a good thing. The worst outcome would be to pass. The negative press would be absurd.

It is a fail and if we moved sooner would have done better. That's trading. Sometimes waiting is good and sometimes it is bad.

It is done , no point now to argues who is right or wrong . Next year will be Dew and Craig Cameron fourth year , media and critics will be focus on them , AFL won't give GCS concession for third rebuild , third rebuild will be close shop .

If Craig Cameron do this in soccer trade he will be under bribery watch .

Last edited:

It is done , no point now to argues who is right or wrong . Next year will be Dew and Craig Cameron fourth year , media and critics will be focus on them , AFL won't give GCS concession for third rebuild , third rebuild will be close shop .

If this was a one off I would let sleeping dogs lie. They continually piss away picks and it needs to stop now.

Just pick a top 5 guy in the draft and I'll shut up about it. If they overreach for a guy we could have got at pick 10+ then the club need to review their list management staff.

If this was a one off I would let sleeping dogs lie. They continually piss away picks and it needs to stop now.

Just pick a top 5 guy in the draft and I'll shut up about it. If they overreach for a guy we could have got at pick 10+ then the club need to review their list management staff.
I agree with you .
Fremantle rather admit they mistake and sack Mark Micallef former GCS recruiting assistant .
Basically GCS list management staff just do nothing , top 20 pick won't be much different from what given by Callum from AFL.com.au , by not picking second Rd they got nothing to identify.

Last edited:

Are the preselections announced today

I just look at next year draft ,
1 first round pick
2 second Rd pick ( concession pick from AFL can't be trade this year but maybe next year can and GCS own second Rd pick )
1 third Round pick, 2 fourth pick .
6 players to delist Next year on senior list .

Maybe just give away draft pick again next year .

We weren’t using the pick so better to get something rather than nothing... Does anyone remember Jack Martin, hello!!!

We weren’t using the pick so better to get something rather than nothing... Does anyone remember Jack Martin, hello!!!

At least we were making a statement last year.

The pick we gave away for nothing yesterday was better than anything the Blues offered for Jack Martin

Funny thing is that if we did trade Martin (I am happy we made a stand), we would have additional 2nd and 3rd round picks to deal with this year.

There is only certain amount of talent we can bring in and be able to keep it. I wish, AFL gave us extra TPP instead of generous number of picks, free pre-listing.

People don't like our list development and management in the last 2 years? At the moment, 12-13 young players are arguably the best talented group under 23 in competition. Around 15 decent mature players complement them. Bringing Phillips, Davies, Jeffrey this year - what's not to like.

Next year the young core will be a year older and more experienced. At the moment, the average age of the best 22 at season start is around 24 years 3 months (minus Harbrow). Best 41 is still the same average age. That's significantly better than last year. Bringing in pick 5 and 2 more academy kids SUNS will have 13 kids with 0-2 games played. We got a depth of around 30 players.

We should see a real improvement this year provided we have a reasonable run with injuries. But the real stuff should start in 2022 when average age of the best 22 will be close to 25.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez can't disagree with cool aid fan boys .
Let's all pretend we agree to everything.
Yeah what a great deal getting future 3rd for pick 27.
Celebration .........
Yeah Welcome Townsend .
Yeah everything going to be alright.

Better create a button agree or disagree .

Last edited:
Does anybody remember GCS combine multiple 2nd , 3rd , 4th Rd to Brisbane for an upgrade 2nd Rd pick because we are not going to use them hello .
Anybody can just follow the internet and pick top 20 players and GCS academy players . Pure laziness from GCS list management staff.

Last edited:

Don't forget there's also a guy called Kall involved who used to be a stats guy a few years back.

Don't forget there's also a guy called Kall involved who used to be a stats guy a few years back.
Kali burns ? Sometime i rather you go and randomly pick up a players in second Rd , rather than top 20 and GCS academy players every year , apart from 2018 draft McLennan .

I just look at next year draft ,
1 first round pick
2 second Rd pick ( concession pick from AFL can't be trade this year but maybe next year can and GCS own second Rd pick )
1 third Round pick, 2 fourth pick .
6 players to delist Next year on senior list .

Maybe just give away draft pick again next year .

I actually mentioned this on one of the other boards when a trade scenario was brought up between GC and Crows if Thilthorpe slides to your pick.

Someone mentioned GC trading Pick 5 for our Pick 9 and our 2021 2nd rounder (if there is someone at 9 who you think might be still on the board), and I was like 'why on earth would GC do that'? They've already got Pick 19 next year as a concession, plus their own 2nd rounder, and they've practically gifted their 2nd rounder this year to Geelong.

The concessions have certainly created a distortion whereby I don't think a trade of picks would be entertained in this instance where there normally would be interest...

I actually mentioned this on one of the other boards when a trade scenario was brought up between GC and Crows if Thilthorpe slides to your pick.

Someone mentioned GC trading Pick 5 for our Pick 9 and our 2021 2nd rounder (if there is someone at 9 who you think might be still on the board), and I was like 'why on earth would GC do that'? They've already got Pick 19 next year as a concession, plus their own 2nd rounder, and they've practically gifted their 2nd rounder this year to Geelong.

The concessions have certainly created a distortion whereby I don't think a trade of picks would be entertained in this instance where there normally would be interest...
you made the flaw of actually considering the other sides poistion with the trade

I usually disagree with opposition fan , but this time i do think the list management staff is incompetent , i rather without the pre listed concession and matching bids for Alex Davies and Jefferey fair and without concession .

you made the flaw of actually considering the other sides poistion with the trade
Nah i rather without the pre listed and match bid for Alex Davies and Jefferey with pick 27 and 37 ( possible downgraded for multiple pick ) . That's what i call fair without concession .

2019 draft
Trade out pick 17 and 22 for Sam Flanders and Farrar .
Could use those pick on port Georgie and Sharp and keep future first .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back