2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's put an offer in for Will Day :p

Does he want to go through an entire rebuild with the Hawks?

A rare Suns fan as well, play with his cousin.

Flanders better go alright because we could have picked Day at 11. And we are crying out for a quality back flanker 🤞

Let's put an offer in for Will Day :p

Does he want to go through an entire rebuild with the Hawks?

A rare Suns fan as well, play with his cousin.
Continue to build the family culture at the club. I know Sammy would love to play with his cousin and Will seemed open to living/playing here as he grew up a Suns fan.

Speaking of family connections, Lemmens is about to have his first child and that child will be Rankine's second cousin due to Lemmens' partner being Izak's cousin. Lemmo has played 89 AFL games for us so fingers crossed he racks up at least another 11 games so we get father-son/father-daughter access to a child who could be anything with those genes!

Is trialling Will Powell in defence to see if he can become a future Hanley/Harbrow replacement off half back.

And frees up a wing for Sharp/Flanders to enter our best 22?

He's smooth mover, just worry about his strength in a 1 on 1 contest close to goals.

He's smooth mover, just worry about his strength in a 1 on 1 contest close to goals.
Strength is something that will come, if learns defensive nous while he is on the weak side it will only make him an even better defender once that strength comes

Last edited:
Wil has reasonably wide shoulders so can see him building strength in next few years.

Using this season where there are no expectations to trial things for upcoming seasons where every win will matter is sensible IMO.

It's interesting as I watched him closely in the last quarter and he did not lost any contest, did not make any mistake and saved one goal. Yeah, only 4 possessions but the question asked should be - What was his role and did he play his role? I bet he did play his role in defense. It definitely was not to provide offensive drive. Similar to Budarick, he seemed to play defensive role on different players, defended his space.

Of course, Powell is far from finished product. But I never forget in his first year, when we played I believe Carlton and we were losing badly. In the last quarter, Powell skinny stick had nothing in the tank, running on fumes and he was still chasing like crazy and competed in every contest. I have a lot of love for him.

The whole team played well as a unit, no need to change it because someone had low possession numbers. It's all about playing team roles, build synergy and continue building a team from players with a right character that will win premiership for us eventually.

I am all for new players to come in and we will see them soon I hope. I am just a bit worried how much scratch matches can prepare players for AFL. They usually play 16 vs 16, 6 x 10 min or some other crazy combinations. When Fiorini came back he looked like 2nd grade player. Rankine on the other hand slotted in amazingly well. I want to see Sharp, Flanders, Rosas.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting as I watched him closely in the last quarter and he did not lost any contest, did not make any mistake and saved one goal. Yeah, only 4 possessions but the question asked should be - What was his role and did he play his role? I bet he did play his role in defense. It definitely was not to provide offensive drive. Similar to Budarick, he seemed to play defensive role on different players, defended his space.

Of course, Powell is far from finished product. But I never forget in his first year, when we played I believe Carlton and we were losing badly. In the last quarter, Powell skinny stick had nothing in the tank, running on fumes and he was still chasing like crazy and competed in every contest. I have a lot of love for him.

The whole team played well as a unit, no need to change it because someone had low possession numbers. It's all about playing team roles, build synergy and continue building a team from players with a right character that will win premiership for us eventually.

I am all for new players to come in and we will see them soon I hope. I am just a bit worried how much scratch matches can prepare players for AFL. They usually play 16 vs 16, 6 x 10 min or some other crazy combinations. When Fiorini came back he looked like 2nd grade player. Rankine on the other hand slotted in amazingly well. I want to see Sharp, Flanders, Rosas.
Worry about the guys out of contract , with these scratch matches they are not developing properly, some of the Academy kids I have seen playing Qafl may go past them as players just on the basis they are playing proper competitive football not glorified circle work (against your own teammates at times)

Lack of body size never stopped someone like Kade Simpson. If Powell's got enough skill and courage then he could settle there. At least with him doing kick outs we're likely to hit a target.

Don't think he'll take those kick out duties while Luko's back there

Melbourne media saying Brodie wants out.. is contracted to 2022 on approx 400k per year..
What you think Suns would accept?

Whatever it is it needs to be 2021 compensation. The list spots will be squeezed this year.

Future 2nd Rd pick would appear to be fair.

He is clearly on the outer and i dont see him dislodging Greenwood, Swallow or Miller. Then Rowell when he is back.
Clear up a bit of cap space, won't be worth much though, only played 20 games, oft injured.
Behind Greenwood, Swallow, Miller and Rowell. On 400k, good chance to clear some of the budget out for a player we aren't using. One of the few times I would be happy to get a future pick.

Behind Greenwood, Swallow, Miller and Rowell. On 400k, good chance to clear some of the budget out for a player we aren't using. One of the few times I would be happy to get a future pick.
Yeah spot on, Anderson is the logical choice to fill that tall big bodied mid roll after greenwood. Just needs a few years, so makes Will a bit of a fringe player

Side note - if he wants to go to Carlton after what they did with Martin - * them unless they pay overs to make up for that s**t

They don't need him, reckon the Bummers would be coming hard though

That would be a reasonable suitor - if Daniher leaves in FA they will have 2 first round picks this year so may not be as stingey as usual to give up a future 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back