2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If lists are cut, we may be more interested in experienced players squeezed out of other clubs rather than more teenagers.
With pick 1?

My pure speculation is GC will take pick 1 and prelist Alex Davies and that will be it.

They might try and trade the first pick of round 2 for a future pick, but are unlikely to get fair value for it.

There’s already been a fair amount of discussion about if there are no U18 games this year, that this year’s picks outside the top 10 will be significantly devalued in regards to trading for future picks.

It’s going to suck for teams that traded extra picks in, in this draft. But that’s going to be a fair way down the AFL’s list of concerns.

If the AFL cut lists to 35 players, and teams need to cut back to 34 or 33 because they have to take one or two picks at the draft, I’m guessing there won’t be too many delisted drafted early. Maybe a couple in the second round.

Most are more likely to picked up as a delisted free agent during the trade period.

With pick 1?

My pure speculation is GC will take pick 1 and prelist Alex Davies and that will be it.

They might try and trade the first pick of round 2 for a future pick, but are unlikely to get fair value for it.

There’s already been a fair amount of discussion about if there are no U18 games this year, that this year’s picks outside the top 10 will be significantly devalued in regards to trading for future picks.

It’s going to suck for teams that traded extra picks in, in this draft. But that’s going to be a fair way down the AFL’s list of concerns.

If the AFL cut lists to 35 players, and teams need to cut back to 34 or 33 because they have to take one or two picks at the draft, I’m guessing there won’t be too many delisted drafted early. Maybe a couple in the second round.

Most are more likely to picked up as a delisted free agent during the trade period.
i know you try to get thing going with this list speculation , but seriously media is running out of news because of this virus and bigfooty got nothing much to talk about except speculate thing (uncertain future). the games is dead until this virus thingy sort out -not just AFL but all other games also.

* not pointing finger that you are wrong or right - but i think a lot of people are more concern about other thing now than footy or sports.

i know you try to get thing going with this list speculation , but seriously media is running out of news because of this virus and bigfooty got nothing much to talk about except speculate thing (uncertain future). the games is dead until this virus thingy sort out -not just AFL but all other games also.

* not pointing finger that you are wrong or right - but i think a lot of people are more concern about other thing now than footy or sports.
That’s cool.

For some of us, this is our distraction.

I’ve always said that the draft and list management is more interesting for me than the games.

That’s cool.

For some of us, this is our distraction.

I’ve always said that the draft and list management is more interesting for me than the games.
No games, you don't need draft and list management. No games young players might try different career path in the future, who want to participate in 44 players games where you got no hope/slim chance of getting selected anyway. ( if you are not in top 20 in u16).

* You can't even go out and touch each other, playing a games and get spotted (rated) by recruiters or hoping to get draft will be even harder. Domino effect, u18 players need to think about their career path even more and might participate in other sports or change their career path earlier.

Last edited:
No games, you don't need draft and list management. No games young players might try different career path in the future, who want to participate in 44 players games where you got no hope/slim chance of getting selected anyway. ( if you are not in top 20 in u16).

* You can't even go out and touch each other, playing a games and get spotted (rated) by recruiters or hoping to get draft will be even harder. Domino effect, u18 players need to think about their career path even more and might participate in other sports or change their career path earlier.
Yeah, that’s not the type of discussion I’m interested in at the moment Peel.

More interested in hypothetical type discussions about possible changes to lists, and how this might impact the draft, the type of players drafted, list balance, etc.

I’m in a lucky situation where (at the moment) neither my wife’s job or mine are under threat.

I understand if others aren’t interested in discussion due to their circumstances.

Yeah, that’s not the type of discussion I’m interested in at the moment Peel.

More interested in hypothetical type discussions about possible changes to lists, and how this might impact the draft, the type of players drafted, list balance, etc.

I’m in a lucky situation where (at the moment) neither my wife’s job or mine are under threat.

I understand if others aren’t interested in discussion due to their circumstances.
The is my opinion. If you only want elite players in the competition. Merging interstate team and Victoria team will definely help. Adelaide, West Coast, Sydney, Brisbane with Victoria big 4.
Maybe change name to state of origin vs vic4/6. No point cut to 35 list now and then merge, better cut the team out now. ( short pain vs long pain).
North merge with Carlton
St kilda merge with Hawthorn. (should be Essendon but they make the 8 last year)

Last edited:
Comprehensive lis of free agents

We had been fairly public with our desire to go out and get a bigger name in the next year or two.
Zach Williams seems the obvious choice to put a big offer to.
I would love Andrew Gaff as well.
Not too many names though. Clubs seem to be good at wrapping up their players early.

Uncertainty around lists etc.. make a lot of this discussion moot but we'll discuss it anyway!

Comprehensive lis of free agents

We had been fairly public with our desire to go out and get a bigger name in the next year or two.
Zach Williams seems the obvious choice to put a big offer to.
I would love Andrew Gaff as well.
Not too many names though. Clubs seem to be good at wrapping up their players early.

Uncertainty around lists etc.. make a lot of this discussion moot but we'll discuss it anyway!
Zach Williams would be great but I think we would really have to overpay for him and that kind of goes against what the current admin are trying to put in place. Is Brad Crouch still an option or have we moved on?

Zach Williams would be great but I think we would really have to overpay for him and that kind of goes against what the current admin are trying to put in place. Is Brad Crouch still an option or have we moved on?
I would pay Zach Williams more than Brad Crouch. Think he would be a massive asset for our team.

Totally get the approach we've been trying to implement.

Pretty hard to know what the salary cap situation is going to be going forward and how that will affect strategy.

I would pay Zach Williams more than Brad Crouch. Think he would be a massive asset for our team.
I also think Williams would be a a nice replacement for the ageing half backs Jarrod Harbrow/Pearce Hanley. Budarick and Williams playing off half back would be a great combination for us!

Speaking of the draft, if you do have pick 1, do you believe the Suns will draft another inside mid.

Looks like the early contender for pick 1 (who’s not tied to the Bulldogs as an nga) is Rowell and Anderson’s team mate, Will Phillips. Who is another shorter, inside mid.

Speaking of the draft, if you do have pick 1, do you believe the Suns will draft another inside mid.

Looks like the early contender for pick 1 (who’s not tied to the Bulldogs as an nga) is Rowell and Anderson’s team mate, Will Phillips. Who is another shorter, inside mid.

I think it is too early to tell on all fronts.

Too early to tell , but i think with NGA alex Davies , i doubt they go for another inside mid . Also every top 10 pick need to consider they salary after two year and keep them happy by playing them in AFL rather than NEAFL, especially no1 pick tag Victoria kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too early to tell , but i think with NGA alex Davies , i doubt they go for another inside mid . Also every top 10 pick need to consider they salary after two year and keep them happy by playing them in AFL rather than NEAFL, especially no1 pick tag Victoria kids
From what I understand Josh Gore is being groomed to play an inside mid role so probably him, Davies and one of Jeffery or Johnston will be the pre selections.
As there will only be likely two rounds of the draft its unlikely the rest will get bids and can go around next year. One thing in the era of list cuts please no more project players we need all say 35 players to be able to be up to AFL standard on the next available weekend if necessary

From what I understand Josh Gore is being groomed to play an inside mid role so probably him, Davies and one of Jeffery or Johnston will be the pre selections.
As there will only be likely two rounds of the draft its unlikely the rest will get bids and can go around next year. One thing in the era of list cuts please no more project players we need all say 35 players to be able to be up to AFL standard on the next available weekend if necessary
I dont believe there will be list cut , a lot of people thinking about AFL , local league can only fit in 22 players per team , more players will drop out of the games . I think jose Gore is ok only, people here tend to overrated GCS academy players.
Jose Gore vs same type (Sam Flanders , Sexton ,Rankine, Rosa) if there is a list cut to 35 players .

Last edited:
I dont believe there will be list cut , a lot of people thinking about AFL , local league can only fit in 22 players per team , more players will drop out of the games . I think jose Gore is ok only, people here tend to overrated GCS academy players.
Jose Gore vs same type (Sam Flanders , Sexton ,Rankine, Rosa) if there is a list cut to 35 players .
From what I have seen off him his best is good enough ( goal kicking mids are hard to find) He was playing better than some of the listed players before the break. Fyfe, Pescud and Reeves are other options

Can you explain better why there won’t be list cuts?

Even Gil has said that in 2021 lists will look different.

Can you explain better why there won’t be list cuts?

Even Gil has said that in 2021 lists will look different.
Concerns me given our history that with a reduced list we won’t be able to field a team given our usual run with injuries. IMO the expanded list we’ve been given for 2020 was just about more important than the draft concessions.... Lions of course won’t find it an issue as you don’t seem to get any significant injury numbers you buggars!!

Concerns me given our history that with a reduced list we won’t be able to field a team given our usual run with injuries. IMO the expanded list we’ve been given for 2020 was just about more important than the draft concessions.... Lions of course won’t find it an issue as you don’t seem to get any significant injury numbers you buggars!!
I guess that’s when you sign top up players from your affiliated NEAFL team on short term contracts.

Ideally they’re your top academy kids who didn’t get drafted.

There’s been discussions that such players could be part of a AFL teams train on squad.

They’re not officially on a team list, and play for a local State league team, but are allowed to train with the AFL squad, time, work, and study commitments permitting.

As for the Lions good injury record. It’s down to two factors. The Lions moving training away from the hard surface of Coorparoo, and Selwyn Griffith taking over as our head of high performance. There’s concern among Lions fans we may lose Selwyn after this.

I could see Josh Gore in a Tom Papley role - some inside mid, drifting forward to use his goal nouse. Just not sure if he is as dynamic - one of Papley's biggest skills.

Whilst Gore might be a better player than Jeffrey at the moment (may). Who would you suspect to be a better player in 3-4 years time?

I could see Josh Gore in a Tom Papley role - some inside mid, drifting forward to use his goal nouse. Just not sure if he is as dynamic - one of Papley's biggest skills.

Whilst Gore might be a better player than Jeffrey at the moment (may). Who would you suspect to be a better player in 3-4 years time?

They play different positions. At the moment I would say when on song he is better than Ace, Schoenfeld , Heron , Murtagh, Conroy , Towey and Farrar at least and possibly even with Rosa, Riordan Fletcher and Dawson , that’s a lot of players. There is another NT kid called Lake who plays the same position as Jeffery but I don’t whether he qualifies for the suns

Last edited:
They play different positions. At the moment I would say when on song he is better than Ace, Schoenfeld , Heron , Murtagh, Conroy , Towey and Farrar at least and possibly even with Rosa, Riordan Fletcher and Dawson , that’s a lot of players. There is another NT kid called Lake who plays the same position as Jeffery but I don’t whether he qualifies for the suns
I'm sure Brodie Lake qualifies as he spent time down at the Suns during the year with Jeffrey.

When you're talking about he you mean Gore right?

We've had discussions on here before with relatives of academy members (or so it seems) and the discussion always comes back to who is more likely to be a regular contributing AFL player with our projected team in 3-4 years.

Of course Gore is better than Luke Towey at the moment - that's a no brainer.
Also true for Ace (not officially on our list as far as I'm aware)
No way you can compare Murtagh and Conroy.

But you can't deny that Gore has deficiencies and that is the reason he wasn't drafted last year. Those deficiencies were obviously enough for our recruiters to think that he may not have the capacity to be an AFL player in 3-4 years. Guess that was why he was been training in a different position as well - excellent goal sense and finishing ability but from what I know suboptimal athleticism - and as a small forward at <180cm - pretty difficult to make it unless you are fast.
Kane Farrell is probably a decent comparison from the AFL (although he recorded the second fastest 20m sprint at AFL combine). Also played in both his 17 and 18 year old year for Vic Country averaging 14 possessions, 3 marks, 2 tackles in his top year (was taken at pick 51 so not super highly rated). Josh averaged 8 possessions and 1.7 goals per game - not bad.

Whilst the odds of someone like Farrar or Ace becoming legit AFL players are quite low they've obviously got traits which make the recruiters think with a lot of polish there is a chance they will.

It's a hard one as it must be a difficult pill to swallow to see current inferior players listed and paid money whilst one of our academy kids doesn't. In saying that the recruiters are not picking the best 18 year old players. They are picking the guys they think can make it as players in the AFL longer term.

Thats why players like Luke Partington - 22 year old Magarey medalist - didn't get drafted. He is a much better player than Josh Gore and all those guys you listed as well but has deficiencies that make clubs think that he will never be a regular AFL player.

I would love for Gore to work on some of those deficiencies and turn into an AFL player as we are desperate for clean players in our forward half. Look forward to see how he progresses.

Last edited:
I guess that’s when you sign top up players from your affiliated NEAFL team on short term contracts.

Ideally they’re your top academy kids who didn’t get drafted.

There’s been discussions that such players could be part of a AFL teams train on squad.

They’re not officially on a team list, and play for a local State league team, but are allowed to train with the AFL squad, time, work, and study commitments permitting.

As for the Lions good injury record. It’s down to two factors. The Lions moving training away from the hard surface of Coorparoo, and Selwyn Griffith taking over as our head of high performance. There’s concern among Lions fans we may lose Selwyn after this.
Bostman rule came from a less talented unknown player suing Fifa, what make you think semi pro players and coaches won't do that to AFL and AFL players unions . Anything involve human and money is not an easy solution . Every players that get cut due to reduce list will try to find a way to sue AFL or local league club , there will be loophole just as some former players trying to sue club for their injury.

Last edited:
Bostman rule came from a less talented unknown player suing Fifa, what make you think semi pro players and coaches won't do that to AFL and AFL players unions . Anything involve human and money is not an easy solution . Every players that get cut due to reduce list will try to find a way to sue AFL or local league club , there will be loophole just as some former players trying to sue club for their injury.
What has the Bosman rule got to do with AFL?

You’ll have to explain how it relates to my post, because I don’t get it.

And I know all about the Bosman rule, and how it came about.

eDPS has Alex Davies rated at 10th in his updated draft rankings released today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back