2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

GC seems well placed to make some really significant gains now. Ellis and Greenwood should ease the burden on Swallow and Miller, and with Rowell and Anderson being given some protection, delivery into King and Luko makes GC a scary prospect over the next few years. And those mids being fed by Witts.

Maybe coaches like Rutten and Cara can bring out the manbeast in Wright. We've been a soft team for too long, but already we're seeing some Richmondesque hardness about the way we're playing, which has been encouraging.
Peter Wright is a bit like Shaun McKernan. If you were to go after Wright which I think would require a pretty sweet deal as he plays with his best mate Miller and has a house and partner up on the Gold Coast. Would require overs being paid which won’t happen as Dodoro a will expect him for a bag of chips.

GC seems well placed to make some really significant gains now. Ellis and Greenwood should ease the burden on Swallow and Miller, and with Rowell and Anderson being given some protection, delivery into King and Luko makes GC a scary prospect over the next few years. And those mids being fed by Witts.

Maybe coaches like Rutten and Cara can bring out the manbeast in Wright. We've been a soft team for too long, but already we're seeing some Richmondesque hardness about the way we're playing, which has been encouraging.
Essendon’s 2021 first round pick for Wright and GC’s 2021 second round pick.

Peter gets out-bodied way too easily for a man of his size.
Doesn't leap with aggression or intent.
Never seen someone go up one handed to take a mark more often than he, either because one arm is being held and he isn't strong enough to break free or often because he has been out-bodied and is off balance when leaping.

In saying that. He is turning 24 this year and should be really gaining true man-strength.

2017: He averaged 12.5 possessions, 5.5 marks, 1.6 goals per game as a 19-20 year old in his second season.
2018: Wrecked by injury but had a couple of good games - 20 possessions, 9 marks against Sydney the pick of them
2019: By the eye was disappointing, particularly back half of the year, but still kicked goals in 14/17 games.

I also think he is clearly above average as a second ruck.

In no world would I want to get rid of him. I think he can be a very valuable player going forward.
St Kilda would have not been as good a team as they became if they traded Justin Kozitchke at age 23.

At the end of their 5th season
Kozitchke: 71 games, 376 marks, 61 goals
Wright: 66 games, 330 marks, 85 goals

Essendon’s 2021 first round pick for Wright and GC’s 2021 second round pick.
That sounds good to me, though there are many on our board to whom it wouldn't. Most will be looking towards a big bodied inside mid and there has been quiet speculation about Ollie Wines, which could be doable without losing too much if Fantasia still wants to go home. I can see the potential in Wright's future. It would be great to see him in a supporting role for a fit Daniher.

Peter Wright is a bit like Shaun McKernan. If you were to go after Wright which I think would require a pretty sweet deal as he plays with his best mate Miller and has a house and partner up on the Gold Coast. Would require overs being paid which won’t happen as Dodoro a will expect him for a bag of chips.
Yeah there's a bit of argument on our board about who's the better of the two. I'm in the 'Wright has more upside' camp.

With no NEAFL this year, King needing games to develop, Day fit and Luko ready for AFL, Wright seems to me to be a back up option who might not see much game time unless one of those, or Witts, is injured. I hope he does get to play, but if he doesn't, maybe that could be all the reason he needs.

Yeah there's a bit of argument on our board about who's the better of the two. I'm in the 'Wright has more upside' camp.

With no NEAFL this year, King needing games to develop, Day fit and Luko ready for AFL, Wright seems to me to be a back up option who might not see much game time unless one of those, or Witts, is injured. I hope he does get to play, but if he doesn't, maybe that could be all the reason he needs.
I wouldn't say Day's position in the team is guaranteed.
Has been very average the last 3 games he has played in the seniors.
7 kicks and 0 goals total in round 22,23 2019 and r1 2020.

Think the position is up for grabs, the guy who is performing in the seniors will stay there. IF Day doesn't perform, Wright or even Corbett will be given a chance.

Peter gets out-bodied way too easily for a man of his size.
Doesn't leap with aggression or intent.
Never seen someone go up one handed to take a mark more often than he, either because one arm is being held and he isn't strong enough to break free or often because he has been out-bodied and is off balance when leaping.

In saying that. He is turning 24 this year and should be really gaining true man-strength.

2017: He averaged 12.5 possessions, 5.5 marks, 1.6 goals per game as a 19-20 year old in his second season.
2018: Wrecked by injury but had a couple of good games - 20 possessions, 9 marks against Sydney the pick of them
2019: By the eye was disappointing, particularly back half of the year, but still kicked goals in 14/17 games.

I also think he is clearly above average as a second ruck.

In no world would I want to get rid of him. I think he can be a very valuable player going forward.
St Kilda would have not been as good a team as they became if they traded Justin Kozitchke at age 23.

At the end of their 5th season
Kozitchke: 71 games, 376 marks, 61 goals
Wright: 66 games, 330 marks, 85 goals

Wright struggled without Tom Lunch being the key forward and seems to have struggled with the pressure of being the main guy whereas king has thrived

Wright struggled without Tom Lunch being the key forward and seems to have struggled with the pressure of being the main guy whereas king has thrived
For sure.
King clearly looking the superior player.
Still think wright has a number of attributes that could make him a best 22 player in a good team.

A 2m tall forward that can run, kick straight and an above average back up ruck. IF he can bring a bit more aggression to his play he’s got a number of positive attributes.

king close to goal, Wright further up field. Still think it can be a good 1-2 combo

Wright needs to be there instead of Day cause with the shorter quarters you don’t want two rucks but at least someone quality in the ruck. I rate 2m Peter and agree he lacks confidence. I remember Lynch would be exactly the same hot and cold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes sense too... Will Phillips is just another young mid and we have enough of them now. Need another tall back man or forward.
Pretty sure I keep reading your lot are really into DGB from WA. Looks the best KPD in the draft, although wouldn't say he's Pick 1/2/3 material based on what the current crop have shown

If we can get good value for 2MP I think we pull that trigger. I still think he'd work as a ruck and has thrived there, but as a forward he has a fair few deficiencies (kicking for goal excepted). Struggles to take contested marks, no acceleration to get separation to get uncontested marks. Changing him back to the NEAFL and then to AFL has regressed his development. One of the only guys I can think of that has gone backwards over the past year or so (though as noted, Lynch playing helped him out).

Dunno why he doesn't play more ruck minutes. He can run all day.

This has been discussed on the draft forum and by Cal Twomey.

It’s a long explanation that I’m not up to typing tonight.
Short summary on Cal Twomey's thoughts on JUH to Suns? Haven't seen anything would like to know cheers in advance

Short summary on Cal Twomey's thoughts on JUH to Suns? Haven't seen anything would like to know cheers in advance
Won’t get him. Dogs match any bid. Devalues pick one. Suns need to “sell” the idea of pick 1 and hope to members, fans, sponsors.

Won’t get him. Dogs match any bid. Devalues pick one. Suns need to “sell” the idea of pick 1 and hope to members, fans, sponsors.

Personally I would rather us devalue the pick by selecting the best available player regardless of ties to academies. However I’m holding out we don’t get the spoon

Personally I would rather us devalue the pick by selecting the best available player regardless of ties to academies. However I’m holding out we don’t get the spoon
Twomey’s point is, even if there is a bid on JUH at pick 1, the Dogs will still match.

So the club is telling the player that it then selects at pick 2, that he was the clubs second choice.

You then have the media run with the club failing to draft its top target, and settling for second best.

Not to mention the club having to introduce their new player to members and sponsors as their second choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back