2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He's only 18 - not going to be a body builder at this stage. Obviously he needs to put on a lot more muscle over time.

he's fast and I think he looks really balanced.

Tackled hard ~5 per day at the u18 champs - size didn't get in his way there.

He's only 18 - not going to be a body builder at this stage. Obviously he needs to put on a lot more muscle over time.

he's fast and I think he looks really balanced.

Tackled hard ~5 per day at the u18 champs - size didn't get in his way there.
tackling other u18s is alot different to trying to tackle grown men, I like Ace but he still has a long way to go before he is AFL ready

In the game that the allies won 80-78 against Vic Metro at last years u18 champs he had a great game 12 possessions (5 contested), 4 clearances, 3 inside 50's, 3 tackles, 1 goal.

This was against Rowell, Anderson, McAsey, Bergman, Maguinness, Mahoney, Bianco, Byrne, Butler, Harrison Jones, Worrell, Dyl Williams, Will Phillips etc..

Rosas kicked 2 and Gore kicked 3 that game as well.

tackling other u18s is alot different to trying to tackle grown men, I like Ace but he still has a long way to go before he is AFL ready
Yeah, obviously has along way to go.
His pace and balance are things that cannot be taught though.

VFL is a good platform for him next season , if he is ready against VFL grown men , he can take the next step into AFL .
Can't really said he is ready or not , just like some like Gore but i prefer prescud .

It will be interesting with ACE. It seems he is highly valued around the club. Below is another quote from the article.

Last year I found somewhere he is 172cm and 68kg. Looking at the recent videos he looks bigger now - 70-72kg. I don't think he will get much bigger.
Personally, I am skeptical he will make it but like everybody else I hope he makes it.

Regarding the list size, we are currently on 42 including ACE and Towey. My guess SUNS are hoping to have around 46 players on the list while the rest of competition 42.

I doubt we will attract an elite player for pick 5.

So let's say, Brodie and Wright out, Atkins and Broad in. Pre-select Davis, Jeffrey and pick 5 takes us to 45.

I would not be surprised if we also pre-select Lake. I also like Pescud. We could trade pick 5 for next year pick. 1-3 players could still be traded, de-listed.

Suns football manager Jon Haines has kept a close eye on Oea during scratch matches in 2020.
He said there was no doubt Oea had AFL qualities and Dew agreed.
“He certainly does. He is so great around the club,” Dew said.
He is a very popular member of the team. No. 1, his form and the pace he plays the game at are great and at different times he shined with the reserves.

Last edited:
It will be interesting with ACE. It seems he is highly valued around the club. Below is another quote from the article.

Last year I found somewhere he is 172cm and 68kg. Looking at the recent videos he looks bigger now - 70-72kg. I don't think he will get much bigger.
Personally, I am skeptical he will make it but like everybody else I hope he makes it.

Regarding the list size, we are currently on 42 including ACE and Towey. My guess SUNS are hoping to have around 46 players on the list while the rest of competition 42.

I doubt we will attract an elite player for pick 5.

So let's say, Brodie and Wright out, Atkins and Broad in. Pre-select Davis, Jeffrey and pick 5 takes us to 45.

I would not be surprised if we also pre-select Lake. I also like Pescud. We could trade pick 5 for next year pick. 1-3 players could still be traded, de-listed.

Personally I would take Gore over all the other small forwards as he is the only one that has consistently kicked goals against quality opposition and the Suns need more firepower, I like Pescud but he has yet to play Allies and kicked half his goals in the QAFL against the bottom team, another year in the Academy wont hurt him, I do think due to list positions the Suns may only take one NT player so it may come down to Lake v Jeffery though I think Fyfe may be a better choice than Lake as he has superior disposal

Personally I would take Gore over all the other small forwards as he is the only one that has consistently kicked goals against quality opposition and the Suns need more firepower, I like Pescud but he has yet to play Allies and kicked half his goals in the QAFL against the bottom team, another year in the Academy wont hurt him, I do think due to list positions the Suns may only take one NT player so it may come down to Lake v Jeffery though I think Fyfe may be a better choice than Lake as he has superior disposal
Personally, I think Gore is close to no chance to end up on Suns list. I know a lot of people like him here. Yes, he knows how to score goals in QAFL/NEAL but that's not AFL. He is not fast and I don't see much improvement in him.

Jeffrey vs Lake - it's easily Jeffrey. He is a serious talent - I watched them in NT NAB All Stars over weekend. Agree, Lake got the ball a lot but his disposal was ordinary.

Pescud has some great traits.

Yes, it could be only Davies and Jeffrey when talking about pre-listing especially if Suns decide to keep ACE, Towey, Conroy, Murtagh.

Personally, I think Gore is close to no chance to end up on Suns list. I know a lot of people like him here. Yes, he knows how to score goals in QAFL/NEAL but that's not AFL. He is not fast and I don't see much improvement in him.

Jeffrey vs Lake - it's easily Jeffrey. He is a serious talent - I watched them in NT NAB All Stars over weekend. Agree, Lake got the ball a lot but his disposal was ordinary.

Yes, it could be only Davies and Jeffrey when talking about pre-listing especially if Suns decide to keep ACE, Towey, Conroy, Murtagh.
Not sure if Jeffery may be putting himself in the open draft (rumoured) , have only seen Gore in the flesh a couple of times and although he is not express he is not slow by any means. Seems the read the ball better than others which allows him to beat faster opponents. Also seems to have superior overhead marking and has a longer kicks than most small forwards. Must still be on the Suns radar as he trained with the AFL team over the summer and apparentely still is training with the draft group. Would be a far better chance of making it than the four players you mention at the end of your post. However with list cuts who knows who will make it on to the list.

Think the kid has kicked over 50 goals in the past two years at senior (and rep level) so at least deserves a chance to see if he can make it. The Suns have listed many Academy kids with far less on their resume

Last edited:

May not be a speedster, and not everyone is, but he isn't slow; but what he lacks makes up for it in class, reading the ball well, overhead marking, goal sense, explosive at stoppages.
Have you watched his qafl games this year? He has improved immensely in the last 12 months. Has worked on his fitness. Has been playing some midfield/wing while floating forward.

I do think he is on their radar. He would have to be given what he brings. Has a lot of AFL qualities. IMO.

May not be a speedster, and not everyone is, but he isn't slow; but what he lacks makes up for it in class, reading the ball well, overhead marking, goal sense, explosive at stoppages.
Have you watched his qafl games this year? He has improved immensely in the last 12 months. Has worked on his fitness. Has been playing some midfield/wing while floating forward.

I do think he is on their radar. He would have to be given what he brings. Has a lot of AFL qualities. IMO.
Again until the list sizes are out no one knows what the hell is going on, no one who is out of contract should be buying cars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again until the list sizes are out no one knows what the hell is going on, no one who is out of contract should be buying cars
yeah.. its the question everyone wants to know at the moment. Hopefully more clarity will be known soon. How hard is it to make a decision? lol

Just my opinion. I knew you would respond, Gore is your favourite :) All good. Yes, I watched the most games. Nothing for me really telling me he will make it in AFL. For me, in general people overvalue academy players. Most are later de-listed. For me only Davies and Jeffrey this year looks like they can make it down the track.

A lot of academy selection is based on potential, do they have traits to be successful in AFL. I posted here somewhere SUNS selection criteria for academy players - If I remember correctly, besides obvious talent, it was team first, speed, defense. I will try to find it.

Yeah, that's true, which is a debate they are trying to work through at the moment.

Fingers crossed in the next couple weeks before the GF things will be more known.
Now some are saying that it will not happen until finals are over which is ridiculous. I feel for players on the bubble.

Academy type of player

“We have got a real type of player, obviously they will play different positions, but a real type of player we want to play and that is driven from Dewy and the football department,” Raines said.

“There is definitely a strategy there.
They need to have leg speed for a start and an ability to cover the ground. That is huge in the AFL system.
“They need to be able to put pressure on and get involved in team defence.
“They are all different but they need the team-first mentality.

Academy type of player

“We have got a real type of player, obviously they will play different positions, but a real type of player we want to play and that is driven from Dewy and the football department,” Raines said.

“There is definitely a strategy there.
They need to have leg speed for a start and an ability to cover the ground. That is huge in the AFL system.
“They need to be able to put pressure on and get involved in team defence.
“They are all different but they need the team-first mentality.
Yeah, I read that. That all describes Gore. Especially this year.

Yeah, I read that. That all describes Gore. Especially this year.
If he has kicked 50 goals in the past two seasons as claimed , I would give him a go. The Suns have problems kicking 6 in a game

Heron and Dawson didn't even play Allies before being drafted to my knowledge so he has done more than them to earn a list spot.

Michael Gibbons from Carlton showed what giving a footballer a go instead of an athlete can do

Think that is why the Suns have been given the extra list spots to get more Academy kids in so there has to be a couple chosen this year apart from Davies.

.But as with Ace there is a lot to play out over the next few months

How many slow players have been stars in the past

Greg Williams (Brownlow)
Sam Mitchell ( Brownlow)
Robert Harvey (Brownlow x 2)

point I am trying to make is you can have all the speed or endurance in the world but footy smarts will win the day
And how many players like that exist now?
You can have all the footy smarts in the world but if cant chase down your direct opponent you are in trouble. Unfortunately athletes are preferred over footballers so everyone has to use them to keep pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back