2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So now that the AFL have confirmed we will keep our list size concessions (on a pro rata basis apparently) does that mean we'll definitely draft all the academy players we've speculated about? We already know we're definitely drafting Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey but I'm talking about the likes of Brodie Lake, Max Pescud, Josh Gore and Aiden Fyfe.

So now that the AFL have confirmed we will keep our list size concessions (on a pro rata basis apparently) does that mean we'll definitely draft all the academy players we've speculated about? We already know we're definitely drafting Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey but I'm talking about the likes of Brodie Lake, Max Pescud, Josh Gore and Aiden Fyfe.
Is Will Bella this year or next years draft?

Why wouldn’t you guys be making a play for Crouch and keeping pick 5?
Is rather treloar vs crouch
I’d rather crouch and pick 5 than treloar alone.
We also have pick 5,24,36 in the draft currently aswell.

Well there’s that :) but he’s not a bad egg, 3/4s of the AFL would let their hair down in the off-season and I doubt you’d see him get in trouble again, it’s hit him pretty hard.

Treloar is a bit better player but not enough to give up pick 5 compared to a free hit.

Really sounds like a desperate salesman, trying to offload a problem.

‘i doubt you’d see him in trouble again?‘
Because players doing cocaine only do it once and I’m sure it won’t happen again.

Treloar is a lot better than Crouch. He is a jet, super fast and an impeccable citizen.

i understand the draft pick cost, but Crouch is the type of player that does not hurt opposition IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone on the main board reported that 'veterans' with >10 years service are given a discount.
115k of their salary doesn't have to count against the cap.

Could we be paying Harbrow 115k next year?
Effectively becoming part of our 'welfare' team whilst not counting against the soft or other salary cap?

Last edited:
Well there’s that :) but he’s not a bad egg, 3/4s of the AFL would let their hair down in the off-season and I doubt you’d see him get in trouble again, it’s hit him pretty hard.

Treloar is a bit better player but not enough to give up pick 5 compared to a free hit.
Greenwood already plays the role Crouch would and one could argue probably better and on half salary. Treloar is a better and quite different player with a speed, breaking the lines and would fit beter into our current midfield line-up. Both players have some less attractive traits. Do we need really pick 5?

Last edited:
Worse case..
We can’t find any A Grade players to trade in with pick 5.

considering we are getting in Davies and Jeffery.. At least.. both first Rd talent.

could it be in our best interest to trade pick 5 for a clubs first Rd pick next year..
North? Missing Higgins
Crows? Missing crouch

even if it does only give us pick 5 back next year.. next years talent is meant to be next level.

gives us a year to mature.. win games of football.
play finals?

then can shop the pick around again if we choose to, whilst looking a lot more a destination club.

Or draft to suit the needs that get found out next year.

I still believe that in 2020 we had 40 senior list and 10 cat A and 3 cat B as concessions. Kall Burns confirmed it in one of his interviews. I also believe we used 10 cat A and only 1 cat B (Towey). So total 51 from possible 53.

So in theory, if AFL reduce senior lists or rookie lists by 2 we could still have 51 players. I am probably wrong :)

Evans in GCBulletin presents the extra rookie list concessions as AFL promoting footy growth in NT, QLD.

At the moment we got 43 players if I include Atkins and Ocea (Ace). Add Jeffrey, Davies and pick 5 (or Treloar instead) - that's 46.
5 positions left. Picks 24, 35 left.

If SUNS believe that Lake and others are a chance to make it in AFL I think they will end up on the list.

I am more concerned that cuts to welfare and development will limit young draftees development especially with high numbers of them.

I still believe that in 2020 we had 40 senior list and 10 cat A and 3 cat B as concessions. Kall Burns confirmed it in one of his interviews. I also believe we used 10 cat A and only 1 cat B (Towey). So total 51 from possible 53.

So in theory, if AFL reduce senior lists or rookie lists by 2 we could still have 51 players. I am probably wrong :)

Evans in GCBulletin presents the extra rookie list concessions as AFL promoting footy growth in NT, QLD.

At the moment we got 43 players if I include Atkins and Ocea (Ace). Add Jeffrey, Davies and pick 5 (or Treloar instead) - that's 46.

If SUNS believe that Lake and others are a chance to make it in AFL I think they will end up on the list.

I am more concerned that cuts to welfare and development will limit young draftees development especially with high numbers of them.

Normal list size is 38 list, 6 cat a rookies and 3 Cat B rookies. It is possible to have 40 list and 4 cat a max. Based on the max numbers our 10 rookies is in theory 8 hence the 51 listed players

so maybe our rookie list should be filled with experienced mature aged guns from VFL/WAFL/SANFL

the next Tom Stewart’s Sam Collins Jake riccardi etc less development needed?
Could also help mentor some of the younger kids

Last edited:
so maybe our rookie list should be filled with experienced mature aged guns from VFL/WAFL/SANFL

Yes, I would like that too.

I doubt the AFL would sanction that. Maybe we could add a couple of mature agers, but they’ll want us to add Academy kids as rookies. Or else they’d be likely to remove our concessions

I doubt the AFL would sanction that. Maybe we could add a couple of mature agers, but they’ll want us to add Academy kids as rookies. Or else they’d be likely to remove our concessions
Yeah, going by the article in the GCB and talking about bring QLD kids into the system, it does feel like these rookie spots the AFL want the club to use for academy kids. And more than just 1 (given the NT kids arent in the academy, just in the "zone")

Remove this Banner Ad

Back