2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year I do not understand this trade system where the player nominates a single club. It destroys the bargaining power of the club the player is cutting And running from.
It’s such a flaw.
There are two possible fixes
1-you can only nominate clubs that finished below your club on the ladder OR
2-you can only nominate the State you want to be traded to

EG
Captain Bedwetter
Daniher nominating BrisC
And Cameron the Handbaggers.
Do your job Gil. Hopeless.

Thanks for listening

So you're arguing for a restraint of trade? Interesting.

Why don’t we bank salary cap for a few years or bring forward payments for players
Haven't we been doing that for years?

In all seriousness, the salary cap system doesn't really allow for clubs to 'bank' room because there is a minimum cap spend (95%) that all teams must adhere to each season. Regardless of the talent on a list, each team must spend a minimum of 95% of the cap. That is an issue for teams which are trying to rebuild because you have to choose which younger player gets paid more than the others at an earlier stage of their career and all the repercussions that follow after that.

Majority of our best talents on our list are young now so bringing in a player like a prime 27 year old Treloar could allow us to get an overpaid player like Wright or Brodie off our list and reach that 95% minimum cap spend without having to give unnecessary pay raises to our younger guys which will likely come back to bite us later.

Cap management is an art form. These guys have to get creative and try to use the rules to their advantage to keep players happy and give the team the best possible chance to rise up the ladder.

Agreed
The fact Richmond took the best player from the club 18th on the ladder, and every club paid for it with a priority pick whilst using none of their own picks

absolute joke
There is a possibility that Crouch could end up at Richmond as well , Now that would put the cat amongst the pigeons
2 grand finalists
Richmond - Crouch
Geelong - Cameron

There is a possibility that Crouch could end up at Richmond as well , Now that would put the cat amongst the pigeons
2 grand finalists
Richmond - Crouch
Geelong - Cameron
Yeah exactly

I don’t have a problem with players going to a good team, just that team should pay in picks and $$ to make it happen.

All compensation picks do us penalize all the other 17 clubs by moving down a spot in the draft to Make it happen

on a side note too they need to stop club sponsors topping up players pay outside the cap - Cripps gets a $1M deal with Nike? Lynch mysteriously is a Jeep ambassador?...... reeks of a Judd Visy deal

Yeah exactly

I don’t have a problem with players going to a good team, just that team should pay in picks and $$ to make it happen.

All compensation picks do us penalize all the other 17 clubs by moving down a spot in the draft to Make it happen

on a side note too they need to stop club sponsors topping up players pay outside the cap - Cripps gets a $1M deal with Nike? Lynch mysteriously is a Jeep ambassador?...... reeks of a Judd Visy deal

Lynch doesnt get money from Jeep that was all just jokes on BF , The Richmond players get given Jeeps to drive due to them being sponsors of the club and the lease agreement is similar to novating lease dels we can all get off our gross salary.

But i do agree with the Free agency thing needing changed and have mentioned it many time, I think the club losing the player should still get the same pick they get now e.g Lynch pick #3 but the team getting the player should lose picks equaling the picks that add up to that pick value.

2 grand finalists
Richmond - Crouch
Geelong - Cameron

This GF is between two clubs systematically cheating the salary cap.
Not worth watching. Not worth recognition of the winner.
VFL Gil and his school tie colleagues at VFL House are a disgrace to sports administration.

When prominent Cats people like Frank Costa are allegedly paying players massive money outside the cap to attend lunches or endorse products The Cats can get players to commit based on them earning much more money overall.
how do I know this? Directly from Stevie J
Family members getting $250 an hour putting stickers on Costa’s apples...

My sources are telling me
Brad Crouch has nominated St Kilda.
Also stated there is ample Coke and prostitutes in St kilda,
Seems a matched made in heaven

Last edited:
My sources are telling me
Brad Crouch has nominated St Kilda.
Also stated there is ample Coke and prostitutes in St kilda,
Seems a matched made in heaven

How do you know about his hookers penchant??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though I consider myself a wild man in my younger years I’ve clearly also been a bit sheltered

Disappointed Mr Bods - no obligatory 12 month exchange “student” trip to Thailand?Like Bilbo Baggins, you’ll never return the same after that journey. Or like Choppers you might not return at all!

Disappointed Mr Bods - no obligatory 12 month exchange “student” trip to Thailand?Like Bilbo Baggins, you’ll never return the same after that journey. Or like Choppers you might not return at all!

Haha! I was well into my "2nd childhood" when I ventured to The Land of Smiles..........

Last edited:
Quote from Coach Dew:
“There has been considerable interest from players after seeing our improvement, quality facilities and excellent lifestyle (a positive from COVID-19 with so many clubs being based on the Gold Coast).”

Well Stuey let’s bloody well see it. I don’t like being told exaggerated BS.
I’ve been his biggest supporter till now.
If I don’t see evidence of this then I’ll be turning on him.
That email better have not been about getting people to Just renew their memberships.

Quote from Coach Dew:
“There has been considerable interest from players after seeing our improvement, quality facilities and excellent lifestyle (a positive from COVID-19 with so many clubs being based on the Gold Coast).”

That email better have not been about getting people to Just renew their memberships.

Keeping it low key and waiting until the trade period keeps the cost down. Less bidding wars 😉

Quote from Coach Dew:

Mate the season hasn't even finished yet, give it some time

I do think this whole ‘players are interested in coming up’ thing has been blown out of proportion a bit.

I’m sure a lot of players have really enjoyed getting out of the spotlight and living by the beach in the warm. However, I’m not sure that will correlate to players negotiating to move up, particularly when we don’t really have a clear idea about salary caps and lists (especially our extended list).

However, Treloar, Atkins, Broad and Markov have all been coming to us at various stages, which is more interest than we’d normally get, and there’s still plenty of water to go under the bridge.

Poor Mrs Bods, always jumping the gun.
Quote from Coach Dew:

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back