2020 Draft and Trades Thread

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Also said the pies are worried how he’ll go next year without his partner and child,

could be a reason they are trying to push him out now.
So it won’t be there problem come 2021

Reckon that's a bullshit smokescreen

They are worried about his big ass contract and that they will lose a gun due to the salary cap in 2024 when Treloar is on his last legs on $1m a year

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For what it's worth, here are a few 32 year olds this year from the 2006 afl draft.

Joel Selwood
Tom Hawkins
Todd Goldstein
Josh Kennedy (Swans)
Travis Boak
Jack Riewoldt
Robbie Gray
Shane Edwards
Bachar Houli

And a whoooole bunch of retired players. You have to be a special player to play until 32, but Treloar is special, currently is a top 10 midfielder in the competition imo. You don't want to be paying these guys 800k a year, but if we were to restructure his contract to be heavily front ended, could be a Travis Boak type with our list's age demographic.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Damo T

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Reckon that's a bullshit smokescreen

They are worried about his big ass contract and that they will lose a gun due to the salary cap in 2024 when Treloar is on his last legs on $1m a year
If Adam does decide to come to us (unlikely but trade period is full of surprises) no way should we be offering pick 5. Pies have lost all their bargaining power due to the fact they want him gone. I personally think he would be a good pick up for the Suns.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m not one to believe anything Damian Barret says, but he believes it will likely happen. Says don’t believe what Treloar says publicly. He’s using the contracted line. But that’s purely for if a trade doesn’t eventuate. To save face.

can see the Suns getting burnt here. Like Pies did getting Beams back.

plays a season or 2 then quits the game due to pressure.
Then are salary caps destroyed for a further 3 years

Damo T

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pick 5 would be fine if they are covering a fair part of his contract if he ends up here, if they aren't covering any then a 2nd rounder is all I would offer.
How much do you think the pies would cough if roles were reversed? I rate Adam but he has had hamstring issues and I believe will be 28 next year. I would like him at the club but the pies are pushing him out. Pick 5 is overs even if they pay partial. The suns need to be brave and not be bent over. With our luck with injury Adam is a risk.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
28 in April. But wasn't Greenwood the same age?

I'd go with 3 years with a trigger for 4. Given he has been taking less for years. I'd offer more than what he gets, but not to the extent to overpay him. So somewhere in the middle.
I think this is about right.
3 years - front ended.
Would be a great get.
Ah ok, so he was actually dropped, interesting. Yeah meant no offence or anything about the injuries, I've just seen him do hammy's a lot. I think Sexton is a gun, if he lived in Melbourne and played in a better team he'd be talked about in the space of the DeGoey's of the world IMO. I just hadn't kept up with the Suns and was shocked when I heard he had been dropped as I would've ranked him in your top few players. People were suggesting we could trade for him cheap and I thought that was crazy, would need a 1st rounder pick minimum. But yeah as you say he probably wont leave regardless, it's just the internet rumours, just interesting to hear how he's going.
No chance of leaving IMO for all the reasons stated above.

Did his hammy this year.

But played 22/22/20/18 the 4 years before that, not really been an injury prone player to date.

Reckon he and rankine will have a good year 2021.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When I heard them talk about trekoars contract today I couldn’t believe it. Honestly if this is the approach Collingwood has taken it’s pretty disgusting.

they said he was contracted to 2022 on a back ended deal? But last year re extended out to 2025.

In doing so they restructured his pay so it could all be further back ended.

if it is 4 million over the next 5 years effectively what they’ve done is have him in his prime (a27 year) for 500k.

with plans to ship him off for his post prime (28-32) at 3.5 mill over 4 years (900k per year)

so they have had him play for them through his prime on bottom range of his pay grade. Only to ship him off when he’s getting older and NOW when the money he has been owed is finally due.

it would be as if we’re paying all the interest Collingwood owes him.

*figures only guesstimated but that’s the gist.

would feel like we’re being taken for an absolute ride unless we trade a much lower pick and/or they pay a significant portion of his salary until the end date of the contract.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
So according to McClure, Collingwood are most concerned with Treloar’s ability to play at his best without his family support.

IF this is true, surely Collingwood have even less leverage in a trade?

Brisbane have ruled themselves out, leaving us, or they keep him despite believing they won’t get the best out of him and we don’t get a player who doesn’t want to be here anyway.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/adam-treloar-stuck-in-the-middle-20201027-p5695b.html

Suns Soldier

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2017
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For what it's worth, here are a few 32 year olds this year from the 2006 afl draft.

Joel Selwood
Tom Hawkins
Todd Goldstein
Josh Kennedy (Swans)
Travis Boak
Jack Riewoldt
Robbie Gray
Shane Edwards
Bachar Houli

And a whoooole bunch of retired players. You have to be a special player to play until 32, but Treloar is special, currently is a top 10 midfielder in the competition imo. You don't want to be paying these guys 800k a year, but if we were to restructure his contract to be heavily front ended, could be a Travis Boak type with our list's age demographic.

Not sure we would have too, 600k PA front loader by us??
That’s what I would be thinking.

Gorringe Can Suck One

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Kinda off topic but honestly using his OWN mental health battles against himself to get out of paying him what they said they would is an absolute disgrace and I'd honestly hope the AFL would launch an investigation to how Collingwood dealt with Treloar (If he leaves at least)

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Kinda off topic but honestly using his OWN mental health battles against himself to get out of paying him what they said they would is an absolute disgrace and I'd honestly hope the AFL would launch an investigation to how Collingwood dealt with Treloar (If he leaves at least)

Eddie n Gil are part of the boys club down here in Melb.
Scratch my back I’ll scratch yours.

Im sure Eddiebeen in Gils ear.
If Treloar goes to Suns it’s in the games best interest.

big marquee type player moving to the AFL’s smaller most expensive club..

get your AFL reporters to flog off article after article naming the Suns.. until it actually happen..

Bla.. blah.. blahhh.

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Joel Selwood
Tom Hawkins
Todd Goldstein
Josh Kennedy (Swans)
Travis Boak
Jack Riewoldt
Robbie Gray
Shane Edwards
Bachar Houli

Don't mean to butt in, but the guys on your list are the cream of the crop from that draft and half of them are cooked. Selwood, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Gray are all cooked. There are only 2 midfielders there that are still any good. Boak is as professional as they come, and despite being injured alot early hasn't had many problems for 5+ years. Treloar has done his hamstring 4 times. I wouldn't bank on him being any good at 30. Collingwood are acting like they are doing you a favour paying some of his contract. The guy is only worth 600k x 5. They're basically making it so his contract is what it should be, they're not doing you favors at all. Pick 5 is way overs for a 27 year old with his history of injury.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just out of curiosity what do we all think Nat Fyfe is worth? 29 years old history of injuries... Do we still think pick 5 would be unders for him? Treloar is younger and had less serious injuries

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
A lot going on with Treloar.

But I think the key point is the length of the contract for a soon to be 28 yo that is playing at a 3rd club.

That 5th year on big coin is very likely to be a throw away year, right when the club would be hoping to be in the top 4-6 teams.
Clear everything else out, and that looks a step too far.

And strongly suggest that given we are already going to be paying Dave Swallow big coin for under-par on-field performance (his money is mostly earned off-field and a lot of credit has been earned already), that looks like 2 steps too far for mine.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just out of curiosity what do we all think Nat Fyfe is worth? 29 years old history of injuries... Do we still think pick 5 would be unders for him? Treloar is younger and had less serious injuries
It’s more about the contract than the player.
Fyfe could easily play as a forward as he gets older whereas treloar has 1 position.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't mean to butt in, but the guys on your list are the cream of the crop from that draft and half of them are cooked. Selwood, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Gray are all cooked. There are only 2 midfielders there that are still any good. Boak is as professional as they come, and despite being injured alot early hasn't had many problems for 5+ years. Treloar has done his hamstring 4 times. I wouldn't bank on him being any good at 30. Collingwood are acting like they are doing you a favour paying some of his contract. The guy is only worth 600k x 5. They're basically making it so his contract is what it should be, they're not doing you favors at all. Pick 5 is way overs for a 27 year old with his history of injury.
This is my point really, I consider treloar to be the cream. Rendell said he is ocd and a complete professional, so I don't think hamstring issues in his past is directly going to mean hamstring issues in his future, players get injured and they learn to live with it and overcome it. 'Dodgy hammys' is a bit of a throw away line. Not to mention that we seen a lot of soft tissue injuries with all these condensed games, and clubs rushing players back.

The dollars I don't pay too much attention to because it's 100% guess work but I'm saying that it is very possible that he is still a very good/elite player up until 32 so if we can find a way to restructure his contract so we aren't at risk of losing any of our core young group of guys I have no issue with us taking him.

Having said that, I wouldn't be giving up pick 5, if we can get a broad, and with natural progression, I still expect finals with our current list.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
ANY chance Adam Treloar had of finding a new home with one of Queensland’s AFL clubs looks to be in tatters with Gold Coast unwilling to provide the unwanted Magpie a lifeline.
News Corp can reveal the Suns won’t make a play for the 27-year-old in the upcoming trade period and with Brisbane also pulling out of the race it leaves Treloar on very unsteady ground.

Back