2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If you told me we could have
Holland’s, Davies, Jeffries I’d be stoked.

taken a few gc guys in Nicholls and Fyfe, great.

townsend meh, don’t really want him playing AFL, BUT can see some merit if he is a positive character and an onfield leader and coach for the 2’s.

Gore, pescud etc will get their chance in due course if good enough. Meanwhile playing in the neafl/vfl will show what they’re made of.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you look at Townsend as super retirement fund , really is not a big deal i am happy to have him , but set training standard is not one of them . Let's us not be Perkins type of honesty.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Townsend is a Premiership player, a tough Half-Forward who marks above his height! I’d take that for our youngISH side anyday.

He kicked a couple of bags at Richmond & he played 12 of 17 games for Essendon this year. Seems like good value for a rookie salary next season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Townsend is a Premiership player, a tough Half-Forward who marks above his height! I’d take that for our youngISH side anyday.
Mark’s above his height? Maybe in theory.
Averaged 1.8 marks / game last year.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Not super thrilled with Townsend pick, although you got to think that they would have good Intel on him from Ellis that he is a character that could have a positive impact of other players development and could pinch hit as a 3rd tall if injuries hit

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just looking at who do delist Next year , really don't mind Townsend on rookie list now .

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Big win this off season, not only did we lose no one to homesickness but we also got a match winner and 2 future guns for free. If our biggest problem is Townsend on a rookie contract, well we are looking pretty good.

Our lord and saviour matty Rowell is back, time to win the flag next year

Also don’t forget Charlie Ballard signed 4 more years

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Overall is a good mix for best 22 and New VFL league

Habrow, Zac smith , murdoch , hombsch , Townsend, Holmen line up should at least make the final series of VFL leagues with the Kiddies.
Brisbane won NEAFL last year without losing a game, Richmond won VFL featuring pickett. Time to take training standard to winning standard for this group of players. Winning matches is the best standard to set .

Last edited:

Jessbek

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
Also don’t forget Charlie Ballard signed 4 more years
This has probably been overshadowed more than it deserves, 4 years is a long time and ballard played some fantastic footy for someone who just turned 21

Not to mentioned in a huge area of list need

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Townsend is a good pickup for depth, if he even breaks into the team at all. comes from winning culture at the tigers and already good mates with the couple Richmond boys we've picked up recently. hopefully good cultural fit and is a ready-made player who can slot into the team if need be.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Joshua Fahey academy selection another midfielder/halfback. Makes sense for those futures now

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
5 years I believe.

IIRC Weller was here for 4 years so just missed out.
No, I believe the rule is that you must of lived in the club's academy zone for 5 years. It doesn't matter how much time you spend in the academy, as any kid between 10 and 17 can sign as an academy player. Although, there was the the case a few years ago where the AFL denied GWS access to Todd Marshall (after several opposition teams and people in the media complained), cause he only spent about a year in the academy and touted as a first-round draft pick.

So yeah, Fahey not living in the zone long enough is what will deny access.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Suns were eyeballs deep on pick 2.

Treloar to Dogs ended up derailing it.

We should of just traded 27 and 37 for 14 of this report is correct

also interesting that there is some concerns with Holland’s reconstruction, whether people were being ultra cautious or there is an issue I guess time will tell. If he is all good then we have a bargain on our hands

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also interesting that there is some concerns with Holland’s reconstruction, whether people were being ultra cautious or there is an issue I guess time will tell. If he is all good then we have a bargain on our hands
You never really know how someone will come back from an ACL injury until they start playing again. Look at Max King two years ago. At the beginning of the year he was considered the strong favourite to be selected with the number 1 pick (similar to Hollands at the beginning of this year) but tore his ACL around the start of the season and slid down the draft order. I'm certain there were similar concerns about his recovery in the lead up to the '18 draft but St Kilda took a chance on him and seem to be reaping the benefits now. Perhaps the Max King situation is a big factor behind our willingness to draft Hollands when other clubs before us in the draft order were cautious. We had the chance to draft Max King two years ago but chose to err on the side of caution and draft Luko + Rankine. Don't get me wrong, Luko and Rankine are great but there's a reason why Max King was the consensus number 1 draft pick at the beginning of 2018. Will he ever reach those initial predicted heights? Who knows but what we do know is he's already significantly contributing at the AFL level after his first proper season of pro footy. He also played 18 of a possible 19 games this year and doesn't seem to be having any issues with his knee.

Therefore, I think we're more confident about an ACL recovery to a potential star player than we would have been two years ago. Nothing is guaranteed but as long as our rehab/recovery team does the right thing, then the Hollands selection should look like a masterstroke when he's ready to make his AFL debut.

Back