2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

To those bemoaning not trading back, you have to have an interested party. Hawks knew McDonald or DGB would be there at their pick so didn't bother. GC the only other team and they probably didn't have great incentive. That is why the mid rounds is where the trade action really heats up, plenty of moving targets.

On today, hope we look at Baldwin, looks a nice type and even though he didn't come on, our ability to get Ahern back from two knees should give us a medically confident tick.

Happily admit I have no idea when it comes to future prospects for any of these blokes long term… but I’m very happy with the selection focus and types. In my view we have a lot of talent in half back types and dynamic mid sized players. We do not have the breadth of midfield depth needed and getting more in will allow some of our more dynamic types (Zurhaar, Thomas, Taylor to play multiple roles to their talents). We got the types we needed and in particular I think Phillips was exactly the right choice. My view is that it is possible that you can win flags with a gun KPP but it’s not a negotiable to have a strong and deep midfield. Build the latter and fill the list around the others.

If I'm Jack Mahoney, I'm hating every single one of these picks

I get you but I’m not so sure. Personally I think Mahoney having a long career is mostly in his hands. Strikes me as a very smart operator on field, natural at getting to the right places at the right times and being exceptionally neat with the ball when he does. I think he could easily end up the player that plugs holes for us wherever necessary and does it exceptionally well.

Listening to Twomey during that flat and incredibly long draft coverage last night, he thought we were following the Brisbane game plan to build from the midfield out, which has worked well for the Lions to date, but come finals time that haven't been able to match the top teams in the big moments. I do hope we have learnt from that and in following drafts look at elite KPP's.

That said, I was happy with our selections last night, I was expecting Hollands with our first pick so was a little shocked to see Phillips name called out, but he does look like he could be one of best midfielders in the league in a couple of years, extremely talented and a genuine leader for the future. He should complement our current crop and play round 1. Powell looks like another solid midfielder who should be able to contribute from day 1. I don't know a great deal about the other selections but everything I've read this morning suggests they should bring speed and skill to the team which is what we have been lacking for the best part of a decade.

It looks like it's going to be a very exciting next few years as this young team develops. I'm sure there are going to be some bumpy moments, but there should be some really exciting moments as well. Enjoy the ride.

All in all it looks like a good bunch of kids. Certainly seems to address our midfield crumbing forward shortfalls. Surprised we didn’t do for a tall late. All small did surprise. But very excited by the potential. Not relying on just one to develop - looks like we actually have a plan B too. I assume we go tall with rookie draft.
Welcome to all the newbies - lets do it.

Listening to Twomey during that flat and incredibly long draft coverage last night, he thought we were following the Brisbane game plan to build from the midfield out, which has worked well for the Lions to date, but come finals time that haven't been able to match the top teams in the big moments.

I thought it was interesting that Finnegan mentioned their performances in big games/moments when describing both Phillips and Powell, so it seems that was definitely a consideration.

I think if we genuinely rate Larkey/Comben as a forward combo and McKay at the other end, then getting young KPPs in with high picks is probably not a priority.

These 10 draft prospects were snubbed. Now they deserve rookie lifelines.

Matt Balmer

KAINE BALDWIN

Clubs:
Glenelg/South Australia

Position: Key Forward

Size: 193cm/90kg

Bio: Baldwin has had a tough run with injuries and could end up as a bargain for a club outside of the first round. His talent was clear at the Under 16 championships for South Australia, but has hardly been seen since. He tore his ACL at the start of 2019, before partially tearing the same ligament during a trial game at the beginning of this season. His contested marking and strength are the key traits that make him standout, with the forward able to have an impact on a game and push further up the ground. He recently tested at the SA combine and is ready to hit an AFL pre-season hard.

JACKSON CALLOW

Clubs:
North Launceston/Tasmania/Allies

Position: Key Forward

Size: 194cm/100kg

Bio: Just as the career of one Tasmanian appears to be coming to an end, another door opens. If the Tigers want a key forward this late in the draft, Callow might be the most obvious name. The strong bodied tall clunked plenty of contested marks each game and is a strong kick for goal. While he has some work to do athletically, there’s plenty to like about his game.

OLIVER DAVIS

Clubs:
Tasmania/Allies

Position: Midfielder

Size: 182cm/75kg

Bio: Davis is a strong inside midfielder who starred in the TSL, where he was named the Rising Star of the competition. He averaged a touch under 20 disposals for the season, as well as a whopping 7.1 tackles. His clean hands at the stoppages are a real noticeable trait where he works hard to win the clearances. He had a consistent season and deserves to be recognised by AFL clubs.

Zac DUMESNY

Clubs:
South Adelaide/South Australia

Position: Utility

Size: 187cm/80kg

Bio: Dumesny is one of the better kicks out of South Australia and showed his class against bigger bodies in the SANFL this year. He has done most of his work across half back, but can move up the ground if needed. He showed his ball winning ability later in the year for the Panthers, collecting over 30 touches against North Adelaide. He reads the play well and looms as an ideal prospect for a number of clubs.

JACK GINNIVAN

Clubs:
Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

Position: Medium Forward

Size: 183cm/77kg

Bio: Ginnivan is far from the finished product but might develop to be one of the better steals later in the draft. He relishes the contest and battle with his opponents, ducking and weaving around them when heading towards goal. He has the ability to hit the scoreboard and has a strong footy IQ. Ginnivan’s birthday is on draft day and he’ll be hoping his year ends with some good news.

Max HEATH

Clubs:
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Position: Ruck

Size: 203cm/94kg

S The Victorian looms as one of the better ruck prospects despite being one of the little known prospects ahead of the draft. Heath had some eye-catching moments over the pre-season, with 2020 set to be a big year for the tall. But unfortunately clubs weren’t able to see as much as they had hoped of the competitive beast. He is willing to tackle hard to win the ball back and is able to be a marking target close to goal. His endurance is a work in progress but he is the perfect player who can develop in an elite program.

LIAM KOLAR

Clubs:
Northern Knights/Vic Metro

Position: Utility

Size: 195cm/81kg

Bio: Clubs certainly have plenty of interest in the 18-year-old who has turned all of his attention from soccer to AFL. The ceiling for Kolar is high and he could well end up as a top-30 selection come draft night. He has tested strongly in the endurance and speed categories in recent seasons, showing he can play as a key tall at either end or even end up on a wing. He averaged 5.5 marks in the NAB League last season.

ZAVIER MAHER

Clubs:
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Size: 184cm/83kg

Bio: The inside midfielder has plenty of interest from clubs outside the top 20 and has a really solid case. His speed and acceleration helps him burst from stoppages, while a long kick helps him get it inside 50 on regular occasions. A large chunk of his touches in 2019 were in contested situations, with the midfielder one of a number of Victorians unable to get runs on the board this year due to COVID.

ZANE TREW

Clubs:
Swan Districts/Western Australia

Size: 186cm/80kg

Bio: Trew is a consistent ball winner and averaged over 24 touches in the WAFL Colts this season. His work on the inside is a big strength where he uses a good pair of clean hands to clear the ball from the stoppages. The 18-year-old also tackles hard and relishes the contest, standing up at multiple stages at key points in games.

HENRY WALSH

Clubs:
Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

Position: Ruck

Size: 203cm/87kg

Bio: Walsh is one of the best ruck prospects in the country and could find a home late in the draft. He is the brother of Carlton’s No.1 draft pick Sam, with the tall having completely different traits to the midfielder. He is a good player at ground level and wins a number of clearances with his follow-up work. He was expected to have a huge role at state and NAB League level, but hasn’t been able to show how much he has developed in 12 months.

Today we have Treacy Baldwin and Callow as options in the pre-season draft. We could also go Walshe as a genuine ruck replacement for Goldy.

How does rookie draft work... ie is it the same as the draft with an order to follow? And when does it kick off? What about the delisted ones too expect movt there too now draft complete... when is final day? And what are our numbers at this stage? 36 prim 3 rook and 1 b? So 4 spots left 2 and 2 if need them?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm a bit surprised we went three inside mids. Not sure that we can play all three in the same team.
Last two picks fine.

Only Powell appears to be true inside... reading finnigan he states Phillips and Lazzaro are both in and out...

And no won't play all just need the depth... Phillips can see as a starter, Powell didn't play seniors this year just under18 so he and laz may take more time, both are quite light framed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NORTH MELBOURNE

2020 draftees: Will Phillips (Oakleigh Chargers) – pick 3, Tom Powell (Sturt) – pick 13, Charlie Lazzaro (Geelong Falcons) – pick 36, Phoenix Spicer (South Adelaide) – pick 42, Eddie Ford (Western Jets) – pick 56

The Kangaroos have hit the jackpot in picking up Phillips, who is not only an uncompromising, relentless midfielder, but can also be just as effective when given a role in attack. North will also be rapt to secure the services of Powell, who is an absolute ball magnet and, along with Phillips, will help reinforce the Kangas’ midfield stocks over the next couple of seasons.

Speculating but I suspect Luffy and co. have an eye towards rule-changes.

The repeat effort, grinding midfielder is going to be invaluable with further rotation cuts.

Will be nice to be ahead of the curve for once.

Talk a big game and then reach for foot soldier with Match Winners on the table. FMD. We are to mediocrity what the Storm are to success.

The Club is actually laughable. We are going to Grind our way into peoples hearts, everything we do is uninspiring, there is no theatre. There is no thought of bums on seats and excitement.

Just another two vanilla mehs to add to Dumont, Ziebell, Mahony, Tyson and others who are equally vanilla and meh.

Oh dear!

My Take

First up, Will, we took the best genuine midfielder, a Victorian no less, no injury concerns, no flight risk, a leader, a two-way runner, a one touch, assured, leader. Should play Round 1 and for the next 200 games.

Second up, Powell, we took the best genuine midfielder from SA, no injury concerns, a two-way runner, a one touch, true ball magnet. We have been crying out for an accumulator of his type for a decade.

Third Charlie, bottom age numbers are terrific, another leader, driven, hard worker. Look at his 2019 numbers then look at his testing results. On his trajectory, he looks a bargain.

Spicer. We all know how speculative this selection is but we haven't paid the earth and check out his 2019 vs 2020 numbers then look at his toys (speed, agility). With an ounce of luck, this kid will get them coming through the gates

Eddie. Talk about toys and tricks, this guy has them in spades and I'm wrapt we have him and more wrapt that we have Noble to harness those tricks. Could be an absolute weapon with maturity and consistency. He's the energiser bunny I wanted to compliment the 'foundation' picks of Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro

Talk a big game and then reach for foot soldier with Match Winners on the table. FMD. We are to mediocrity what the Storm are to success.

The Club is actually laughable. We are going to Grind our way into peoples hearts, everything we do is uninspiring, there is no theatre. There is no thought of bums on seats and excitement.

Just another two vanilla mehs to add to Dumont, Ziebell, Mahony, Tyson and others who are equally vanilla and meh.
Have a spell.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

As we all know, we wont know how good this draft hand will turn out for a few years.
But in saying that, I will admit I was surprised we took Phillips at 3. He has a very low floor, therefore he was a safe pick. Would have liked us to trade back in the first round, get another pick, and then select him.
But him as a selection, I am happy with (hope this makes sense)

Powell and Lazzaro (and phillips) scream to me they went for blokes who had produced, rather than going with a selection that is speculative.
Lazzarro averaged 20 touches as a bottom ager (pretty sure) so to think in his 18th year he would improve again is not outrageous.
Would be good to know if any of these guys can play a wing/half back role.

Spicer and Ford are really just flyers - would be good to know why Ford dropped to where he did, given he was part of the all star game and played well.

We all need to remember (and i had to remind myself) we dont need to rebuild in one draft. How we sure up other parts of our list (key back, key forward, small defenders) will be interesting. I would like us to take some flyers on some key talls in the rookie draft with the hope one comes good. Callow, Treacey and Baldwin just to name a few.

You say trade back for philips but he wouldn't have been there.... hawks were all over him and gc also wanted him...prob a reason we couldn't do the 2 for 5 swap as they were going to take Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Back