2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't think we'd draft a pure mid so despite liking Phillips a lot, I was avowed it was either a Hollands or McDonald pick.

Doing it once on Will and then again on Tom, stoked. If that's what we're doing I am in.

As a result I put Eddie Ford in as my third pick so undoubtedly I am happy. I trust this group, I think Luff is a total attribute so if we look like we're reaching I'm content we are not.

Only time will tell of course. There seems to be a more buzzing vibe around the club then in past years. Could be recency bias, but I’m not sure. Welcome to North lads. 🔵⚪🔵⚪

Last edited:
Bit worried about not topping up on some big fellas but other than that we’ve added good mids and forward options.
Phillips is a banker and will play 300 games - he was matching Rowell in some games at 17
Powell sounds like lachie Neale who finds the ball at will.
Spicer and lazzaro look like good development types
Ford looks like a bull who takes marks and smashes packs.

Im a little surprised tbh, but can understand. Heavy mid field accumulation numbers has never seemed natural to our mids for a long time. Even Cunners took a bit of time to consistently break 20 possession games from memory.

That said Simpkin, LDU and Jed were starting to rack up the numbers and looked pretty good with Cunners to come back. Given the improvement in our mids i thought we'd go with guys that are ....lets say more multi purpose mids. Ones that could be damaging forwards when rotated. Both Phillips and Powell look pure mids. Jy can certainly hold his own up forward, Cunners in short stints, Jed...nah, LDU not so sure.

But....Cunners is getting on and who knows, the back problems maybe worse than expected. Maybe Jed is ear marked for a different role? I could see him in defense.

Over all i understand and like the logic of having prolific natural ball winners. If we have the pill, they dont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the Phillips and Powell pick ups. Think they will compliment Jy and LDU really well.

I hate to complain about players we pass on, but the one I don’t really get is Lazzaro and passing on Carroll. This being purely positional, I’m just surprised we’ve gone inside bull mids with all our first three picks, Phillips and Powell are absolutely stacked, so was surprised with another and just unsure of where Lazzaro fits in. Interested to see what the plan is with him.

Really like the Spicer and Ford picks. Upside/high reward, may make it/may not, but both have X factor.

Anyway, I complained last year and Luff proved me to have NFI so I back them.

Not what I expected at times but by the end of the night we grabbed the X factor to match our sure things.

A Key forward in the rookie tomorrow you’ll suspect. eg Baldwin or Callow. Wonder if Noble rates Skinner and we get him training with us over the summer.

Will Phillips has been my favourite from a long way out, so totally stoked.

But then to add Eddie Ford as the other bookend, a guy who has a mountain of potential, made my night.

Powell seems a little vanilla to me, don't know much about Lazarro and Spicer will take a lot of development work. All seemingly have attributes that will stand up well at AFL level, so fingers crossed for all of them that they have long and successful careers at the mighty NMFC.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Picks (at the start of draft)
: 2, 11, 30, 39, 71, 81

Selections: Will Phillips (3), Tom Powell (13), Charlie Lazzaro (36), Phoenix Spicer (42), Eddie Ford (56)

The Roos made a surprise early call by taking pure midfielder Will Phillips ahead of mid-forward Elijah Hollands or tall forward Logan McDonald. The Oakleigh Charger dominated in 2019 and could well play the first game of the 2021 season, given his strong ball winning ability where he averaged 22 disposals in the NAB League. Phillips going this high was unexpected, with the Kangaroos deciding to take the player they wanted rather than trading the pick. With their second selection, they took ball magnet Tom Powell who averaged 34 disposals and eight clearances in the SANFL Under 18s. He just knows how to win the footy and has great stoppage skills. Lazzaro has a fair few tricks and is a very agile forward-midfielder who averaged over 20 touches last year. The Roos picked Phoenix Spicer, arguably now the best name in the game, with Pick 42. The South Australian is a very lively player who will catch the eye giving his elite speed and agility. He had over six inside 50s per game and booted plenty of goals at SANFL level. The Roos plucked a draft slider Eddie Ford late, with the midfielder having plenty of scope to develop into a fine midfield prospect given the glimpses he’s shown in the past.

Grade: B

2020 NAB AFL Draft: North Melbourne

3. Will Phillips
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers, NAB League / Beverley Hills / Caulfield Grammar
Position: Small/medium midfielder
Height: 180cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 22/05/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: 3-10

Prolific ball-winner who burst onto the national stage at Under-16 level in 2018 winning Victoria Metro’s MVP as well as All-Australian honours averaging 27.3 possessions as an inside mid. His agility, two way running, clean hands and vision are elite along with his breakaway speed. Starred as a bottom aged player for Oakleigh Chargers last year averaging 22.1 possessions, four clearances and four tackles in 10 matches as well as being one of the Australian Under 17s best against New Zealand gathering 26 possessions. His 2.91 seconds for 20 metres and 6 minutes 38 seconds at NAB AFL Melbourne Draft Combine confirmed his speed/endurance combination.

13. Tom Powell
Recruited from: Sturt, SANFL / Scotch College
Position: Medium midfielder
Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 02/03/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: 8-20

After an injury-riddled previous two seasons had an outstanding 2020 season, averaging 33.5 disposals (15 contested), eight clearances and kicked 11 goals at Under-18 level to win the league best and fairest and coaches MVP. Has elite hands, vision and is creative in setting up his team. Son of former Adelaide Crows and Sturt defender Matt Powell who was a Jack Oatey Medallist in 2002. Another to star in NAB All-Star game winning 32 possessions (13 contested) in a beaten side for Team Hurn to finish off an outstanding year.

36. Charlie Lazzaro
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons, NAB League / St Marys
Position: Small midfielder
Height: 179cm
Weight: 73kg
DOB: 25/03/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: 30-6

Outstanding around stoppages and at winning contested ball, using his vision and clean hands to create for his teammates. Courageous and with a great work ethic he was a consistent ball winner for the Falcons in his bottom aged year averaging 20 disposals in eight matches. His agility tested in the rare category with his 7.98 seconds for the AFL Agility run in the Victorian preseason testing. Started the trials this year in great touch averaging 27.5 disposals,6 clearances and 8 tackles in 2 trials for the Geelong Falcons.

42. Phoenix Spicer
Recruited from: South Adelaide, SANFL / Morphettville Park / Henley HS
Position: Small midfielder
Height: 173cm
Weight: 64kg
DOB: 30/01/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: Late/rookie

Has elite speed and agility and is capable of breaking the game open with his athletic ability. An indigenous youngster he recorded an elite 7.80 seconds for the AFL Agility run in SA preseason testing this year but did not test at Draft Combine due to injury. Had consistent Under-18 season averaging 17.2 disposals (40% contested) in nine matches in 2020.

56. Eddie Ford
Recruited from: Western Jets, NAB League / Yarraville-Seddon
Position: Medium forward
Height: 184cm
Weight: 73kg
DOB: 21/06/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: Late/rookie

Overhead marking and mobility were features of his play in 2019 playing all season for the Western Jets in the NAB League as a bottom-ager recording 16 matches where he averaged 14.1 disposals ( 7 contested possessions) and 3.7 marks. Finished the year starring on the MCG on AFL Grand Final day in 2019 for Team Brown in the AFL Futures match gathering 20 possessions and kicking 2 goals in a performance full of merit.

Stoked to have Phillips, was happy with either him or Hollands. Phillips is such an impressive young lad, very switched on and a great work ethic to get the best out of himself he’ll fit right in with us.

Powell’s numbers are impressive, look forward to what he can do. And those later picks take a punt and hope they fill out to be good AFL level players. Ford looks to have a bit of spark about him so hope he can find some consistency and will be a bargain.

Putting together a great crop of youngsters.

Could be Clayton’s influence. In his time at the Dogs and Suns, they were mostly running teams without influential key forwards for the most part.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back