2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

More mids than I expected, I was crossing my fingers hoping we'd get a tall forward somewhere for cheap.
But the good thing is,a couple of these guys can go forward and do some damage.

Phillips is undeniably a talent that fits so perfect with our current 2021 midfield it's going to be really exciting to watch.

Cautiously optimistic about Spicer, we got all excited last time about Gordon Narrier with his speed and that worked out very poorly.

Ford is the sleeper in our draft hand, have a good feeling about him.

Just popping in to say how impressed I was with North’s draft haul.

Taking Phillips at 3 was a bold and unexpected move but I loved it. The kid is a gun and more importantly has his head screwed on. Leadership in spades. Powell is also a very safe selection and from everything I’ve seen he’ll play games next year. A RS smokey even with Rowell in the picture, his accumulation and willingness to run both ways will translate straight away.

Ford was also one we were desperate for on the Carlton board and I cannot believe he slid so far down.

Plus you absolutely bent over the Pies for Stepho.

Have been a massive critic on North in the past but you’ve done very well tonight. So well I felt the need to come over and praise. Good luck tomorrow in the RD and I’m looking forward to seeing how this young group progresses next season.

Phillips was in my top 3
Powell in my top 10
Ford in my top 15

Lazzaro is hard, agile and has some versatility
Spicer is risk worth taking as an outside runner with xfactor and pace to burn.

I'm absolutely over the moon. I will admit a little confused that we used our first 3 picks on similar types but we might have just gone best available and fill in holes via FA and trading in the future. Let's not forget we're at the beginning of a rebuild.

I also love that absolutely no one in the media had any idea who we were taking at 3. Seems we gave very little away.

Last edited:
Yes think we have had a serious lack of hand skills over recent times
Pressure factor is immense in Modern football and if these guys can pick the right option then we will be an improved outfit Go Roos

I’ve thought all along that we might be a chance to add Sam Skinner.
After drafting no talls last night I reckon he might be worth giving a go as a backup support option.
Had a shocking run with injuries and Bris bringing in Daniher probably pushed him out.

Phillips was in my top 3
Powell in my top 10
Ford in my top 15

Lazzaro is hard, agile and has some versatility
Spicer is risk worth taking as an outside runner with xfactor and pace to burn.

I'm absolutely over the moon. I will admit a little confused that we used our first 3 picks on similar types but we might have just gone best available and fill in holes via FA and trading in the future. Let's not forget we're at the beginning of a rebuild.

I also love that absolutely no one in the media had any idea who we were taking at 3. Seems we gave very little away.

Yeah I think this is it. Seems like we're going for a Bulldogs-esque model of building a swarming midfield, and then try and pick up that dominant key position forward via FA and trade.

I wish that I knew more about them than the highlights packages. But it does look like we have gone for a specific type with the first three. And then added some x-factor up forward with the next two.

The most pleasing thing to me is that it looks like we are moving forward with a plan! We have so much talent in the medium tall forwards and now a bunch of fairly balanced midfielders. Add to this new coaches with an emphasis on development. Exciting to think what could be if all goes well and we leverage these strengths.

Clearly a big hole with the tall forwards though.

Other than Phillips, does anyone know how ready to play the others are? I presume Spicer needs a good deal of development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanted Hollands and Powell with our first two picks but it's hard to be disappointed with Phillips, as he is a superb prospect and a nailed-on 200-gamer. I have no issue at all with going for "similar" types as you never don't have a need for genuine first possession ball-winners. We're clearly preparing for life after Cunnington.

Don't know a lot about Lazzaro but Ford seems a great value pick late. Would expect us to take one of Callow/Treacy/Baldwin as a rookie to add another key forward prospect.

I was excited to get a real insight into what we were thinking and having that pick 3, very much allowed that.... there was a tall avail a highly thought of tall, plenty of X factor and we chose a solid inside ball getter... there is the rookie and delisted to come so may get a tall there but currently signals that we are comfortable with the two talls and maybe three in xerri as a resting ruck.... some of us were laughed at in terms of stating our game plan maybe moving away from the mass of talls but our current selections support this view. We do have a mountain of medium fwds in garns Taylor zurhaar Thomas stepho hall maybe even ziebell.... and now plenty of small too. Was further surprised when we took Powell a big ball magnet with our second.... so this all signalled that we feel our biggest weakness was the need to get our hands on the ball and we certainly missed cunners.... lazzaro over Carroll not too sure clearly many clubs not just us had issues with carroll given he was still there in the 40s.... lazzaro more inside outside than pure inside but interesting they wanted to grab him earlier than Ford..... spicer look fwd to seeing him develop adding some much needed spice to our fwd line

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Talk a big game and then reach for foot soldier with Match Winners on the table. FMD. We are to mediocrity what the Storm are to success.

The Club is actually laughable. We are going to Grind our way into peoples hearts, everything we do is uninspiring, there is no theatre. There is no thought of bums on seats and excitement.

Just another two vanilla mehs to add to Dumont, Ziebell, Mahony, Tyson and others who are equally vanilla and meh.

Only time will tell of course. There seems to be a more buzzing vibe around the club then in past years. Could be decency bias, but I’m not sure. Welcome to North lads. 🔵⚪🔵⚪
What is decency bias?

The fact we have a decent draft haul or a decent bunch of young players across the last 5 drafts?

Happy as the proverbial pig. This potentially fixes our most glaring weakness, the midfield.

Interesting those complaining about not going for a tall forward, wait until the rookie draft, free agents and mid-season draft; then judge the off-season acquisitions as a whole. Much like during the trade period, I am looking at the total incomings before passing judgement.

As we all know, we wont know how good this draft hand will turn out for a few years.
But in saying that, I will admit I was surprised we took Phillips at 3. He has a very low floor, therefore he was a safe pick. Would have liked us to trade back in the first round, get another pick, and then select him.
But him as a selection, I am happy with (hope this makes sense)

Powell and Lazzaro (and phillips) scream to me they went for blokes who had produced, rather than going with a selection that is speculative.
Lazzarro averaged 20 touches as a bottom ager (pretty sure) so to think in his 18th year he would improve again is not outrageous.
Would be good to know if any of these guys can play a wing/half back role.

Spicer and Ford are really just flyers - would be good to know why Ford dropped to where he did, given he was part of the all star game and played well.

We all need to remember (and i had to remind myself) we dont need to rebuild in one draft. How we sure up other parts of our list (key back, key forward, small defenders) will be interesting. I would like us to take some flyers on some key talls in the rookie draft with the hope one comes good. Callow, Treacey and Baldwin just to name a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back