2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

It had been an interesting few days for the Kangaroos, who had put their top pick up for sale again. During the trade period they had discussions with Gold Coast on sliding pick two to five but also picking up the Suns' picks 27 and 37, as the Suns were not going to use them at the draft with a full list.

That deal was a strong chance of happening in the pick swaps window heading into the draft, but it relied upon another factor: North would then pass on 27, 37 and a swap of other selections to the Western Bulldogs in a draft points boom for the Dogs to help pay for Ugle-Hagan

A deal had been discussed which would have seen the Dogs' pick 14 head to North Melbourne, but it was taken off the table in the last half-hour of the Trade Period as the Adam Treloar move from Collingwood to the Bulldogs took shape.

The Roos put on hold talks to shift pick two until two days before the draft when they picked up the phone again. They asked if Gold Coast would move but the Suns didn't want to deal in future picks, while the Swans (the Roos targeting pick No.3 and a future second-round pick) and the Hawks (pick No.4 and 24 or a future second-round pick) also weren't keen to jump up the board.

The Roos had decided they were picking an on-baller with their first choice, with the club building from the midfield out under new coach David Noble. They took Will Phillips ahead of Hollands, who they had been widely tipped to select. The medical risk with Hollands on the back of a knee reconstruction was a factor in the call, with COVID-19 restrictions meaning Hollands has had a slower recovery process.

The Roos had also put a value on leadership qualities, knowing they will be investing in at least two drafts strongly, with Phillips top of his class there. Even if Adelaide had taken McDonald, the Roos would have selected Phillips, who they only interviewed once all year, over Thilthorpe. Although North's pick surprised, others also rated Phillips highly; if Adelaide had been awarded the No.2 pick as compensation for losing free agent Brad Crouch, Phillips was their likely choice for a tall/midfield combination.

----

The Giants were pleased when Essendon took Cox and then Perkins, with both later down their order, but were hoping that Reid was available to them given their stranglehold on the next part of the draft.

They had identified Reid, Bruhn, Heath Chapman and Connor Stone as the four players they were targeting for their first two picks, but still would have taken Bruhn ahead of Reid if both were available at pick 10. That is because Reid was unlikely to be selected by North Melbourne and Fremantle in between but Bruhn was expected to be snapped up by the Dockers.

The Giants had also arranged a deal with North Melbourne whereby if Adelaide had taken Stone instead of Pedlar, leaving Bruhn and Chapman both available, the Giants would have swapped (what started the draft as) picks 13 and 26 for pick 11 to ensure they could get ahead of Fremantle and grab both their priorities. In turn the Roos would still have been able to select Powell, who they rated inside their top 10, despite their minor slide down the order, because he was further back on the Dockers' list. As well as getting their favoured player, North would also gain an additional pick inside the top 30.

Powell was long in the sights of the Kangaroos, with the South Australian ball-getter 'round one ready'. He was ranked slightly ahead of Cook and Henry of the available players for the Roos, who then set their mind on accruing another pick inside the first round to snap up Cook.

The Dockers went with Chapman, having also liked Pedlar, Macrae and Cook, and he will add more run, carry and intercept skill to their half-back line. Had Essendon taken Bruhn instead of Reid, Cook would have ended up at the Dockers as the Giants would have selected Chapman at their first pick after Adelaide (Pedlar) and North (Powell) zeroed in on their other targets.

----------

Richmond had been sitting back watching things unfold. Rivals knew the Tigers' first-round pick, which started the night at No.17 and became No.20 after bids, was on the market but the Tigers wanted to wait and see which players had slipped through. Once Macrae was gone, they made a deal happen. Clubs had been calling for it, with Hawthorn, North Melbourne and West Coast each offering a future second-round pick in exchange for it, with Bailey Laurie or Nathan O'Driscoll in the Eagles' mix if they succeeded.

--------

As the Magpies' back-and-forth trading consumed the end of the first round, North Melbourne was trying feverishly to get back into the action in an attempt to land Cook or key forward Matt Allison. Having already attempted a deal with Richmond, the Roos offered a future second-round pick and a swap of future third-round picks to the Giants to get in. However the Giants' deal with Collingwood was already in the works.

The Saints also liked Cook and Bowey but with an even group were going to side with the tall in Allison. North, who had just missed on Cook, picked up the phone to try and get into St Kilda's pick to get the Calder Cannons goalkicker, but were pipped again as the Saints called his name to complete the marathon first round.

Anyone read the 1st round frenzy article on the AFL site? It seems we made many attempts to get another 1st round pick before and on draft night. Allison was one of our targets.
So close.

So Cook was the main one we kept trying to trade into the 20-35 region for..

So we rated the following highly:

Phillips
Powell
Cook
Allison

and we didn't rate

Thilthorpe
Reid
Hollands

2 ---> 5, 27, 37

27, 37 + change -----> 14 + change

5, 11 + 14 = Phillips, Powell, Cook/Allison?

Also Powell "slightly ahead of Cook and Henry" suggests we rated Cook and Henry just outside our top 10?

Last edited:

It had been an interesting few days for the Kangaroos, who had put their top pick up for sale again. During the trade period they had discussions with Gold Coast on sliding pick two to five but also picking up the Suns' picks 27 and 37, as the Suns were not going to use them at the draft with a full list.

That deal was a strong chance of happening in the pick swaps window heading into the draft, but it relied upon another factor: North would then pass on 27, 37 and a swap of other selections to the Western Bulldogs in a draft points boom for the Dogs to help pay for Ugle-Hagan

A deal had been discussed which would have seen the Dogs' pick 14 head to North Melbourne, but it was taken off the table in the last half-hour of the Trade Period as the Adam Treloar move from Collingwood to the Bulldogs took shape.

The Roos put on hold talks to shift pick two until two days before the draft when they picked up the phone again. They asked if Gold Coast would move but the Suns didn't want to deal in future picks, while the Swans (the Roos targeting pick No.3 and a future second-round pick) and the Hawks (pick No.4 and 24 or a future second-round pick) also weren't keen to jump up the board.

The Roos had decided they were picking an on-baller with their first choice, with the club building from the midfield out under new coach David Noble. They took Will Phillips ahead of Hollands, who they had been widely tipped to select. The medical risk with Hollands on the back of a knee reconstruction was a factor in the call, with COVID-19 restrictions meaning Hollands has had a slower recovery process.

The Roos had also put a value on leadership qualities, knowing they will be investing in at least two drafts strongly, with Phillips top of his class there. Even if Adelaide had taken McDonald, the Roos would have selected Phillips, who they only interviewed once all year, over Thilthorpe. Although North's pick surprised, others also rated Phillips highly; if Adelaide had been awarded the No.2 pick as compensation for losing free agent Brad Crouch, Phillips was their likely choice for a tall/midfield combination.

----

The Giants were pleased when Essendon took Cox and then Perkins, with both later down their order, but were hoping that Reid was available to them given their stranglehold on the next part of the draft.

They had identified Reid, Bruhn, Heath Chapman and Connor Stone as the four players they were targeting for their first two picks, but still would have taken Bruhn ahead of Reid if both were available at pick 10. That is because Reid was unlikely to be selected by North Melbourne and Fremantle in between but Bruhn was expected to be snapped up by the Dockers.

The Giants had also arranged a deal with North Melbourne whereby if Adelaide had taken Stone instead of Pedlar, leaving Bruhn and Chapman both available, the Giants would have swapped (what started the draft as) picks 13 and 26 for pick 11 to ensure they could get ahead of Fremantle and grab both their priorities. In turn the Roos would still have been able to select Powell, who they rated inside their top 10, despite their minor slide down the order, because he was further back on the Dockers' list. As well as getting their favoured player, North would also gain an additional pick inside the top 30.

Powell was long in the sights of the Kangaroos, with the South Australian ball-getter 'round one ready'. He was ranked slightly ahead of Cook and Henry of the available players for the Roos, who then set their mind on accruing another pick inside the first round to snap up Cook.

The Dockers went with Chapman, having also liked Pedlar, Macrae and Cook, and he will add more run, carry and intercept skill to their half-back line. Had Essendon taken Bruhn instead of Reid, Cook would have ended up at the Dockers as the Giants would have selected Chapman at their first pick after Adelaide (Pedlar) and North (Powell) zeroed in on their other targets.

----------

Richmond had been sitting back watching things unfold. Rivals knew the Tigers' first-round pick, which started the night at No.17 and became No.20 after bids, was on the market but the Tigers wanted to wait and see which players had slipped through. Once Macrae was gone, they made a deal happen. Clubs had been calling for it, with Hawthorn, North Melbourne and West Coast each offering a future second-round pick in exchange for it, with Bailey Laurie or Nathan O'Driscoll in the Eagles' mix if they succeeded.

--------

As the Magpies' back-and-forth trading consumed the end of the first round, North Melbourne was trying feverishly to get back into the action in an attempt to land Cook or key forward Matt Allison. Having already attempted a deal with Richmond, the Roos offered a future second-round pick and a swap of future third-round picks to the Giants to get in. However the Giants' deal with Collingwood was already in the works.

The Saints also liked Cook and Bowey but with an even group were going to side with the tall in Allison. North, who had just missed on Cook, picked up the phone to try and get into St Kilda's pick to get the Calder Cannons goalkicker, but were pipped again as the Saints called his name to complete the marathon first round.
The sun/dogies deal would have been great as the giants one would have been. We would have got good picks plus the same guys we drafted in the 1st round.

Looks like we would have had to pay overs to get the deal done so I'm happy to have kept next years picks.

Great to hear how hard we were working to make things happen. You don't land four opposition players in the offseason without a coach if you don't have a good recruiting team. Really excited for the future to see what the players that Luff, Finnegan, Rawlings and Clayton have drafted over the last two years can do.

Not disappointed we missed out on Cook tbh.

Yeah, I’m delighted with our draft so far so if all goes to expectations next season we’ve managed to keep a couple of valuable picks heading into the 2021 draft.

Non-North, the only thing I'm a bit unclear on with that article is suggesting the outside chance of the Crows ideally pairing Thilthorpe and Phillips as their Tall/Small combo, when they had Hollands in the Pick 1 mix. Surely that would mean they would have preferred Thilthorpe & Hollands!

The only thing I can think of is that they were fairly certain we were taking Hollands with pick 2.

Non-North, the only thing I'm a bit unclear on with that article is suggesting the outside chance of the Crows ideally pairing Thilthorpe and Phillips as their Tall/Small combo, when they had Hollands in the Pick 1 mix. Surely that would mean they would have preferred Thilthorpe & Hollands!

The only thing I can think of is that they were fairly certain we were taking Hollands with pick 2.
Maybe they didn't actually have Hollands on the pick 1 mix.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SNIP

Let me just say this quote here fill me with so much bloody hope moving forward:

'Powell was long in the sights of the Kangaroos, with the South Australian ball-getter 'round one ready'. He was ranked slightly ahead of Cook and Henry of the available players for the Roos, who then set their mind on accruing another pick inside the first round to snap up Cook. '

Our recruiting team has their heads screwed on. I was calling Hollands overrated pre-draft and loved Phillips, we selected Phillips over Hollands - tick. I was calling Tom Powell a top 10 pick 6 months ago and the fact our club agreed, rating him in our top 10 is again, extremely comforting - tick. The other player I loved in this draft and felt was underrated was Brayden Cook (had him top 10 too) who we have now found out we rated highly, even though we didn't manage to grab him - tick again. I really liked Henry too (top 15) so to know we had him rated highly is another tick.

I'm absolutely stoked after reading this article and am extremely confident we've got a recruiting team who can spot talent. I also love that we were constantly trying to improve our draft hand. I hate the idea that clubs might head into a draft with an attitude of 'our first rounder is untouchable.' They put in work to improve our draft position, even if nothing eventuated I love this attitude and approach.

The club is in really good hands from a recruiting perspective moving forward to say the least.

Last edited:
Cook would have been a great get but I'm very happy to have Ford and a full selection of 2021 picks. The fact that we moved on fourteen players and the most speculative guys we got to replace them are Atu, Young, Spicer, Ford and Walker is a great outcome. Add in the fact that we didn't mortgage our future in a better and hopefully less weird 2021 draft and we've done really well in an extremely tough situation.

We kept our cards very close to our chests in regards to Phillips. Keeping all that in house was huge, especially when in previous years our recruitment details leaked like a sieve.

Having an insight into our rankings also gives me a lot of confidence. Seems that we are ranking proven, consistent footballers over the more speculative high upside types.

The fact that we were so active fills me with a lot of confidence even though we didn't get any of the deals done.

Maybe they didn't actually have Hollands on the pick 1 mix.

Ogilvie just wanted a round of golf then... Didn't matter who it was with! (as per the article)

Let me just say this quote here fill me with so much bloody hope moving forward:

'Powell was long in the sights of the Kangaroos, with the South Australian ball-getter 'round one ready'. He was ranked slightly ahead of Cook and Henry of the available players for the Roos, who then set their mind on accruing another pick inside the first round to snap up Cook. '

Our recruiting team has their heads screwed on. I was calling Hollands overrated pre-draft and loved Phillips, we selected Phillips over Hollands - tick. I was calling Tom Powell a top 10 pick 6 months ago and the fact our club agreed, rating him in our top 10 is again, extremely comforting - tick. The other player I loved in this draft and felt was underrated was Brayden Cook (had him top 10 too) who we have now found out we rated highly, even though we didn't manage to grab him - tick again. I really liked Henry too (top 15) so to know we had him rated highly is another tick.

I'm absolutely stoked after reading this article and am extremely confident we've got a recruiting team who can spot talent. I also love that we were constantly trying to improve our draft hand. I hate the idea that clubs might head into a draft with an attitude of 'our first rounder is untouchable.' They put in work to improve our draft position, even if nothing eventuated I love this attitude and approach.

The club is in really good hands from a recruiting perspective moving forward to say the least.

Has anyone seen you and Mark Finnigan in the same room together?

Any concern we couldn't close any deals on the night?

I hear we were into Phillips, Braun and

Great post Souup we were once run by shitmen , who drafted shitmen without any thought to the future. Have said this before, I'm not sure the average BF North fan gets this change and move to being professional.

Any concern we couldn't close any deals on the night?

Check out the article. If it's true to what happened then we did everything we could - it just happened that other clubs had more to offer. Example: Geelong offered a future first round to Richmond vs us offering a future 2nd round).

I just love the endeavour.

Check out the article. If it's true to what happened then we did everything we could - it just happened that other clubs had more to offer. Example: Geelong offered a future first round to Richmond vs us offering a future 2nd round).

I just love the endeavour.

We were stiffed by the Collingwood fire sale with regards to pick 14 from Footscray, but we gained from it with Stephenson so we can’t complain really. Our 2021 first would never have been on the table, so we were at a disadvantage there.

You’re right though, the intent is very heartening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back