2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

I hear we were into Phillips, Braun and

Great post Souup we were once run by shitmen , who drafted shitmen without any thought to the future. Have said this before, I'm not sure the average BF North fan gets this change and move to being professional.
It seems as tho we have thought about the future, planned it and know how to achieve what we want with it.

Makes the Scotts years seem ah hoc and disorganised.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It seems as tho we have thought about the future, planned it and know how to achieve what we want with it.

Yeah just no focus it would seem on anything other than being employed at North whether adim, coaching or as a player. No standards set that's for sure.
The one that grates is Daw and we'll never no what he could have become at a professional football Club.
Oh apparently it was Clayton that pulled the pin on delisted players careers.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yeah just no focus it would seem on anything other than being employed at North whether adim, coaching or as a player. No standards set that's for sure.
The one that grates is Daw and we'll never no what he could have become at a professional football Club.
I'm starting to really like Clayton.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The fact none of our delistees were picked up, with only minimal list size cuts enacted in the end, probably signifies he made the right calls. We wont really know for a long time if we've made the best decisions regarding specific delistings and recruitments, but at the very least the club had the balls to make incredibly hard calls and completely reset our age demographic.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
I agree about the intent of trying to get deals done. We have to also weigh up if it is worth it so might be some buyers regret for those able to trade on the night.

Before we celebrate our picks, worth noting that their AFL careers have not yet commenced. I like the player types we chose but time will tell if they are AFL quality.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I could not count the number of times I have attempted to correct you on your continuing slagging of Scott

Did he or did he not mostly get the best out of Not Top Quality list?
He did
Stop saying he didn’t
Scott played favorites ad nauseum , fair enuf
We did alright, and would have done better if a number of players could have played solid consistent football
Eg Wells Jacobs and Garner come to mind
Plus getting rid of Greenwood was dumb

stop putting it on Scott

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
I could not count the number of times I have attempted to correct you on your continuing slagging of Scott

He did
Stop saying he didn’t
We did alright, and would have done better if a number of players could have played solid consistent football

stop putting it on Scott
2014 and 2015 missed opportunities. Top four lists.

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mmm. 2015 finals side v Eagles
A good team
But we only ever won 13 or 14, yes? And the major criticism was we rarely beat teams above us
Pretty sure the Betting Markets would corroborate and they are objective unlike us

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A good team
But we only ever won 13 or 14, yes? And the major criticism was we rarely beat teams above us
Pretty sure the Betting Markets would corroborate and they are objective unlike us

The rebuild he completed after getting the job was fine, hell we batted deep in finals a few time so I'd even say he did more than fine. He had flaws in that first half decade, but every coach does so you cop that. I would also agree he was usually pretty good at getting us to play above ourselves. Which can, and proved to be, a double edged blade, but in and of itself it isn't a bad thing.

Problem is what happened AFTER that period. End of 2016 onwards I'd argue we mismanaged things constantly, and IMO the majority of the blame falls to Scott. His flaws seemingly got worse, which I imagine stemmed in no small part from the ungodly decision to promote Joyce to GM of Football, who then went on to be nothing more than an extension of Scott's will. A god awful decision in retrospect (and there were plenty saying it at the time too).

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
A good team
2014 we dropped 4 games to teams below us.

Inconsistency cost us each year.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He did
Stop saying he didn’t

stop putting it on Scott

What I have an issue with in regards to what you’re saying is this....

“Did he or did he not mostly get the best out of Not Top Quality list?
He did”

He, Joyce, Lewis & I’m sure others (from the outside these three are the most responsible given their roles IMO) had 10 years. 10 years to build a top quality list. This whole narrative of “well we did well considering” is just accepting mediocrity for mine. If we didn’t have the list, they should have built one throughout the decade tenure. In this regard, they failed miserably IMO.

People can call hindsight as much they want, but there were posters on here, including myself that knew the list wasn’t good enough and wanted something drastic done long before 2020. People want to know why we finished 17th and are in for another couple years of hurt? The simple answer is poor list management IMO.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The rebuild he completed after getting the job was fine, hell we batted deep in finals a few time so I'd even say he did more than fine. He had flaws in that first half decade, but every coach does so you cop that. I would also agree he was usually pretty good at getting us to play above ourselves. Which can, and proved to be, a double edged blade, but in and of itself it isn't a bad thing.

Problem is what happened AFTER that period. End of 2016 onwards I'd argue we mismanaged things constantly, and IMO the majority of the blame falls to Scott. His flaws seemingly got worse, which I imagine stemmed in no small part from the ungodly decision to promote Joyce to GM of Football, who then went on to be nothing more than an extension of Scott's will. A god awful decision in retrospect (and there were plenty saying it at the time too).

You can guarantee that if we got any bites from “big fish” they’d have traded our firsts that netted us Simpkin and LDU. Absolutely no question.

We lucked out big time as supporters that they were unable to sell the club properly during that period. We think times are tough now, imagine not having LDU and/or Simpkin.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
A good team
That's my point. Put Hawthorn to the sword in 2014.

Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"Okay kids today's problem I want you to solve is this: "I have stolen my mum's big-screen TV and sold it to Johnno at the pub for $200 in cash. I hung around at the pub for a while after that and had 4 pints of Carlton Draft and a chicken parma. If the parma is $25, pints are $12, and shard is $40 a gram, how much shard can I buy and how much do I have left out of my $200?"

I've been out of the country for too long. $25 for a chicken parma?

He did
Stop saying he didn’t

stop putting it on Scott
I think he was a very good structural coach but had a few big flaws. The further we are away from them the easier they are to see. And with hindsight he probably should have gone in 2016/7 but at the same time that is hindsight. I wouldn't have booted him then.

The biggest thing is we weren't mentally tough or disciplined enough. He was poor tactically but strong structurally and if he had the mental toughness thing worked out and could properly motivate his player he probably would have won a flag. For whatever reason out biggest issue while Scott coached was between out ears. That is on Scott as the coach. He is responsible for a number of players not playing solid consistent football.

I think he lost touch with his players too and lost confidence in their ability. I think he lacked flexibility and the ability to adapt. And he had a tendancy to seek easy answers, ie going off half cocked about LT or chasing players like Kelly, Gaff and Dusty. Not a bad idea in itself but it seemed like a hail mary option instead of part of a longer term plan.

And the whole comp was weaker in that period 2012 to 2017. Now that the good northern franchise kids from that period are either playing good footy at original or different clubs and the draft has evened out a bit the comp is a bit stronger. Having all those talented players concentrated in weaker teams made the comp weaker during that period. So there were opportunities to take advantage of.

At the same time we were recovering from a bastard of a decade and he provided stability, some media presence especially earlier, genuine concern about his players and more stability. If he was under instructions not to bottom out I can see how that limited what he did and maybe even effected his coaching as he was a rookie when he joined us. And our best was very good on its day as 2014, 15 and 16 showed.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I think about players that didn't reach their peak in the Scott era Maj isn't really the first one that comes to mind lol. Much more natural footy talents ended up with average to poor careers due to our lack of quality development.

The most obvious one for me is Jack Ziebell. Imagine if he joined Hawthorn, Collingwood or Geelong in 2008 and not us. Clubs like that don't really end up with too many players still working on their tanks when they should be in the prime of their careers. Reckon he could have learnt a few more tricks to buy him some time in tight too.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the below clubs at worst have played in a GF since we were last there and some have been down and gone back up while we ****ed around keeping ourselves off the bottom. Laughing it would seem at those that picked us bottom 2 when we managed 9th. Egg on their faces for sure. A proud 9th that was of course. The bar was set oh so high. Sustained success I think we called it.

Geelong
hawthorn
Brisbane
Collingwood
Richmond
Melbourne
St Kilda
Collingwood
Adelaide
Port
WCE
Freo
Sydney
GWS
Western

We were no good under Scott history will tell you that. Probably as much JB's fault as anyone's.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the below clubs at worst have played in a GF since we were last there and some have been down and gone back up while we f’ed around keeping ourselves off the bottom. Laughing it would seem at those that picked us bottom 2 when we managed 9th. Egg on their faces for sure. A proud 9th that was of course. The bar was set oh so high. Sustained success I think we called it.

Geelong
hawthorn
Brisbane
Collingwood
Richmond
Melbourne
St Kilda
Collingwood
Adelaide
Port
WCE
Freo
Sydney
GWS
Western

We were no good under Scott history will tell you that. Probably as much JB's fault as anyone's.
At a glance are GC and Carlton the only clubs missing?

Schwatta won a B&F mate.

To this day I'd take him over Grant every day of the week.
I probably would too tbh. But Schwatta probably left because his mental health issues and Pagan's excuse free approach didn't mesh. Maj obviously has some similar issues too given his past so it just might not be the best mix.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I probably would too tbh. But Schwatta probably left because his mental health issues and Pagan's excuse free approach didn't mesh. Maj obviously has some similar issues too given his past so it just might not be the best mix.

To me it isn't even close Ferbs.

Schwatta a genuine gun mid at North and Swans. Grant a flaky outsider - quality yes but reminds me of a better Polec.

Yeah I get what you mean now on relationships as Wayne was struggling mentally as we know now.

Shagga was much younger too, I hated the decision at the time but I think it would be considered an astute trade in today’s youth driven market. It probably worked out well for both clubs.

Back