2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Shagga was much younger too, I hated the decision at the time but I think it would be considered an astute trade in today’s youth driven market. It probably worked out well for both clubs.

I agree that both better off in circumstances although Schwatta deserved 99 Flag.

No comparison on quality imo.

Schwatta was my favourite player at the time. It broke my heart

I wore number 2 at school for Schwatta and had choice of any.

Maybe I'm underselling Grant as I didn't watch as much in 2000s. Fair enough.

To me it isn't close on field and especially off field as Grant has been very disappointing.

To me it isn't even close Ferbs.

Schwatta a genuine gun mid at North and Swans. Grant a flaky outsider - quality yes but reminds me of a better Polec.

Yeah I get what you mean now on relationships as Wayne was struggling mentally as we know now.

I think you’re undervaluing Grant somewhat. He was a match winner for us and you need to look no further than the 99 grand final.

I honestly see very little resemblance between Grant and Polec. Grant could play inside and outside, but was often utilised in the forward half because of his match winning ability. Yes there were days he had below average impact, but that comes with the territory of playing that half forward role.

Grant wasn’t the only one that went missing at times either. When Shwatta was given special attention he often struggled to break the tag. I went to a game against * in about 96 and he had 3 touches for the day. This wasn’t the only time he struggled with a tag.

You also need to factor in that we gained 3-4 more seasons of output with the trade. We got close to 200 odd games out of Shwatta initially and close to 250 odd games from Grant after the trade.

I loved Shwatta, but I would do that trade again in a heartbeat.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nutjob I will not entertain any view Grant was better than Schwass.

Excellent post but simply no.

Sure trade in our favour after (correct), but I was just talking players as a career.

Its the one I'd want to win.

Schwatta was unlucky not to win one in '96. Archer deserved it but Schwatta played very well.
McKernan. Always a good sign when it could have been more than one. Reckon Carey up there as well.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember hoping we'd trade Allison for Grant rather than Schwass. Bit harsh on Fruity in hindsight.

Missed Schwass of course, but Grant was an absolute gun player. No one can dispute that surely.
Schwatta was a favorite for years. Grant was a good player sure but just didn't have the same history with the club.

Schwatta was incredible how much grog he could drink ( or attempt to ) , have to love that! Had a dip on and off the field!

Yes but could he drive a golf cart?

Grant was a gun. There was a year we finished 3rd last with the likes of Green, Sansbury and Thurley running around.

The next year (2007) we lost the first 3 games and then Grant went on a serious tear and we finished 4th H & A and made a prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back