2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

No he was a star footballer.

There wouldnt be a person on earth who’d rather have Grant before Carey. Duck is possibly the greatest footballer to have played the game.

You seem to resent Grant because he was traded for Schwass. That’s not Grant’s fault and doesn’t detract from his career.

There wouldnt be a person on earth who’d rather have Grant before Carey. Duck is possibly the greatest footballer to have played the game.

You seem to resent Grant because he was traded for Schwass. That’s not Grant’s fault and doesn’t detract from his career.

Incorrect.

I think was a very dangerous if soft player, was not that amazing as you are suggesting.

I'd actually even put Tarrant in Grant's league on quality.

But yep sorry.

Lol.

Choppy has taken s**t posting to a new level. Claiming his opinion as “facts” about a club legend.

Grant was a flat out gun who won games (and GFs) off his own boot. Spent most of his career with us without other star power.

You don’t like him. We get it. Your judgment is clouded. And wrong.

Lol.

Choppy has taken sh*t posting to a new level. Claiming his opinion as “facts” about a club legend.

Grant was a flat out gun who won games (and GFs) off his own boot. Spent most of his career with us without other star power.

You don’t like him. We get it. Your judgment is clouded. And wrong.

Correct - Grant was a star.
A guy that won so many games off his own boot and affected so many games.

It was a good year for the value of the organic football watchers to come to the fore considering the lack of media reports regarding this years draft, and I applaud the keen eye of Souup and Smoocher & a few others for their contributions. You saw past the media regurgitation and party tricks.

Congratulation to Brady, Clayton & Luff. They nailed it.

Our midfield has been bullet proofed for a decade.

The meat grinder is back and it's got a lot more polish this time.

Yes well the trouble with the Meatgrinder was that the game changed and JZ tuff style became a liability
Which admittedly it took us all a hell of a long time to wake up to
Lord knows what we do with him now

Yes well the trouble with the Meatgrinder was that the game changed and JZ tuff style became a liability
Which admittedly it took us all a hell of a long time to wake up to
Lord knows what we do with him now
Wait a minute.

You were giving me s**t about my criticism of Brad Scott three pages back, even tho its fairly reasonable and measured.

Yet everything you described can be laid at Scott's feet. Including JZ's career. Do you reckon he got the best out of himself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have always thought the ‘player development’ talk around here is overdone
JZ was seen as a midfielder when in actual fact he never had the skills to be an A grade mid
Hand skills
Reaction time
Awareness

Coach can’t fix that stuff

Knew we were in trouble one day when I saw him run thru Wells

still think Scott was OK overall

Have always thought the ‘player development’ talk around here is overdone
JZ was seen as a midfielder when in actual fact he never had the skills to be an A grade mid
Hand skills
Reaction time
Awareness

Coach can’t fix that stuff

Knew we were in trouble one day when I saw him run thru Wells

still think Scott was OK overall
Fair enough.

I think Scott was ok overall too, but ok overall coaches don't win flags. I always thought his weaknesses were skills combined the players psychological preparation and their head space during games. Everything else was less of an issue.

But since he was sacked you can see the work Shaw put into the younger players, his pre covid his ability to coach us to come back and win games and his flexibility during them stood out. And you can see that the current footy department has a much deeper understanding of what sort of list its trying to build. Obviously hindsight is a great thing but its the comparison between now and then that really stands out and it might not have been as obvious with a different group in the footy dept. I accept our drafting was affected by circumstances outside our control, our free agency and many later draft picks were good. Brown, Turner and even Wood were all value considering where we took them. This seems like a list built to play footy rather than to play roles and plug gaps.

Fair enough.

I think Scott was ok overall too, but ok overall coaches don't win flags. I always thought his weaknesses were skills combined the players psychological preparation and their head space during games. Everything else was less of an issue.

But since he was sacked you can see the work Shaw put into the younger players, his pre covid his ability to coach us to come back and win games and his flexibility during them stood out. And you can see that the current footy department has a much deeper understanding of what sort of list its trying to build. Obviously hindsight is a great thing but its the comparison between now and then that really stands out and it might not have been as obvious with a different group in the footy dept. I accept our drafting was affected by circumstances outside our control, our free agency and many later draft picks were good. Brown, Turner and even Wood were all value considering where we took them. This seems like a list built to play footy rather than to play roles and plug gaps.

Scott was also supported by an OK footy department. Premierships these days aren’t won by the influence of the Senior Coach alone, especially when that senior coach is performing 5 other jobs and has half the support and assistant coaches of other clubs. Scott was what North needed and was a strong leader and defender of the club publicly during a really difficult period. He made us a competitive side in a professional environment where we had no right to succeed. Hawks, Swans, Cats, Tigers all have incredibly well resourced football departments and coaching development opportunities. Any assessment of Scott’s tenure has to be adjusted to account for the difference in footy dept spend between ours and the successful clubs of that era (Bulldogs the exception, though Bev was a Clarko disciple). Another factor is that North was fighting for its existence for the first half of Scott’s tenure, meaning we couldn’t bottom out like we have which always meant we had to do more with an ordinary list. Yes he wasn’t the greatest coach going around but he was better than OK and I’d argue overachieved given the different hats he was wearing. A fair assessment would also need to note that while we had s**t picks during this period, we also had ordinary recruiting staff as well. You’d have to assess his time in charge favourably given we were competitive almost entirely throughout, incl. a few finals, notwithstanding our footy dept expenditure for that period was probably the lowest of any club in the game. We put * all in, and got good outcomes on the whole. Hope our philosophy on that front has changed to give Nobes the best chance of success.

I'm kind of glad the new admin is looking past height in mids. Been a pet hate of mine over the past decade or so this idea that smaller mids who dominated their peers don't get picked up.
Agree. It has been a concern of mine ever since 2014 when our recruiters said that they could see EVW becoming a big bodied mid. That has stuck in my mind because I wondered at the time why we wouldn't have just selected a midfielder if that was what we needed

The thing that stands out is that the staff have them keeping lean while they gain. It may be a slower process but it hints towards running and speed remaining a priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back