List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:

Nikolas Cox is the one I want in this years draft.

Me too, and Jackson Callow. I’d want Cox to be groomed for a point of difference tall winger/outside leaning mid role for us.

Will Phillips looks to be a guaranteed midfield star as well, but, his draft range will be too high for us, plus our inside mids are stacked imo.

Jackson Callow could be developed into a genuine FF type of player with arguably more natural forward instincts than any of the other Tall Forwards on our list. Connor McFayden would rival him on natural forward instincts but his height probably classifys him more as a mid size forward.

If you are at a loose end this afternoon with no footy this weekend, Lions academy boys Blake Coleman, Saxon Crozier in action in the QAFL GF livestream at 2.30pm.

Bless you kind sir.

Fair to say you guys are likely to draft Blake Coleman this year? He's looked pretty good in the QAFL GF so far.

watched the last 10 minutes - Coleman took a pack mark as well as weaved through traffic for a behind. Commentary getting all excited with Coleman around. I see the hype now, Charlie and Blake would be a very exciting pairing in our forward line :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How tall is he? I thought he looked a little taller than I thought he was. Wonder if he has grown a bit this year.
Was listed earlier this year at 180cm but I agree, he looks to be taller now. Plays taller too.

Me too, and Jackson Callow. I’d want Cox to be groomed for a point of difference tall winger/outside leaning mid role for us.

Will Phillips looks to be a guaranteed midfield star as well, but, his draft range will be too high for us, plus our inside mids are stacked imo.

Jackson Callow could be developed into a genuine FF type of player with arguably more natural forward instincts than any of the other Tall Forwards on our list. Connor McFayden would rival him on natural forward instincts but his height probably classifys him more as a mid size forward.
There’s 3cm difference in height, and McFadyen has a better leap.

Cox concerns me due to his body shape and size. You would think that he would be targeted as a KPD type and he would be monstered IMO. I remember this guy, Jarrod Grant, being highly touted and he didn’t have the best career. I just don’t think KPD is also a desperate area of need. I personally think we need some more X factor types, like an Eddie Ford or Archie Perkins plus adding Coleman later. I am also of the opinion of drafting/trading a young ruck as I think Martin will look to go on as well.
98E378C8-9278-4A99-851F-063C10E6685A.jpeg

One kid I like the look of is Isiah Winder from Peel Thunder. He's a midfielder and small forward with great ball use, good pressure and speed for days. They moved him up to WAFL level and stuck him on former AFL player Haiden Schloithe, a tall task but one he made a decent fist at.

Also, he just destroyed the state combine, finishing top 5 in every single category, and winning both the vertical leap and the 20m sprint.

In ModernArtillery 's thread on SA U18 prospects, they wrote this about Caleb Poulter from Woodville-West Torrens:

I think the most likely version of Poulter's career is as a winger where he has shown an ability to read the play and intercept defensively, but also push forward and be a goal scoring threat from 50m and beyond. I have a question mark over his contested ball winning ability and I think that probably sees him pushed to a wing at the next level where I'd be confident he could forge a career to a similar level as Mitch Robinson at Brisbane.

Maybe he can be the Robbo replacement.

It'll be interesting to see what we target in the draft and whether the picks we have will see us take the best available or more drafting for fit.

If we look at what we might need, a developing ruck if Stef retires is the major one I can think of. Then depending on how we rate the possible replacements we have on our list, it'll be looking at replacements for Zorko, Rich and Birchall.

Rich is going to be the big one to try and replace, you don't often get the elite kicking skill combined with the toughness and game sense to position himself defensively and make the right decisions. He's deceptively quick in the first few steps too.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what we target in the draft and whether the picks we have will see us take the best available or more drafting for fit.

If we look at what we might need, a developing ruck if Stef retires is the major one I can think of. Then depending on how we rate the possible replacements we have on our list, it'll be looking at replacements for Zorko, Rich and Birchall.

Rich is going to be the big one to try and replace, you don't often get the elite kicking skill combined with the toughness and game sense to position himself defensively and make the right decisions. He's deceptively quick in the first few steps too.
In ModernArtillery 's thread on SA U18 prospects, they wrote this about Caleb Poulter from Woodville-West Torrens:

Maybe he can be the Robbo replacement.
Depending on how many band 1 compensation picks are handed out, and if teams like Sydney, Bulldogs and Collingwood trade out their first round pick instead of using it to help match a bid (pretty much a given with the Bulldogs, but I expect Sydney and Collingwood to be able to use their first pick) our first pick possibly comes after the likes of Poulter and Jack Carroll.

There are quite a few flankers/mids in this draft who could potentially play wing in our system, but they could all be off the board by our first pick.

Back flanker is possibly the one position there doesn’t appear to be much depth in, in this draft. The best potential players in that position, who get spoken about as top 30 players, are nga tied to Port and Fremantle.

Depending on how many band 1 compensation picks are handed out, and if teams like Sydney, Bulldogs and Collingwood trade out their first round pick instead of using it to help match a bid (pretty much a given with the Bulldogs, but I expect Sydney and Collingwood to be able to use their first pick) our first pick possibly comes after the likes of Poulter and Jack Carroll.

There are quite a few flankers/mids in this draft who could potentially play wing in our system, but they could all be off the board by our first pick.

Back flanker is possibly the one position there doesn’t appear to be much depth in, in this draft. The best potential players in that position, who get spoken about as top 30 players, are nga tied to Port and Fremantle.
I may be wrong but I think I've seen you suggest trading for a future first rounder. Do you think its realistic that a club like Fremantle or even Sydney could be interested in trading a future first for maybe our late first and second this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back