List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
Sounds like injuries have got the better of him. If he comes will be interesting to see if we can turn him around.

Last edited:
Given we're probably not drafting both, do you think we're better off with a pure ruck or a ruck forward, all else being equal?
Really depends who is available at the appropriate pick.

The Vic draft watchers who watched the Nab League preseason games and ex recruiter, Matt Rendell, are all pretty high on Sandringham ruck, Max Heath. Word is he can pinch hit up forward.

Shannon Neale from WA, I believe is considered more of a ruck forward.

If we’re looking for a tall, they’d be the two I’d be considering with a pick after 25.

My preference is to lean towards the more pure ruck in Max Heath, simply because I value the opinion of those who saw him live during the preseason.

And I believe we’re pretty well covered with young tall, 200cm plus, forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck, with Ballenden and Fullarton.

Really depends who is available at the appropriate pick.

The Vic draft watchers who watched the Nab League preseason games and ex recruiter, Matt Rendell, are all pretty high on Sandringham ruck, Max Heath. Word is he can pinch hit up forward.

Shannon Neale from WA, I believe is considered more of a ruck forward.

If we’re looking for a tall, they’d be the two I’d be considering with a pick after 25.

My preference is to lean towards the more pure ruck in Max Heath, simply because I value the opinion of those who saw him live during the preseason.

And I believe we’re pretty well covered with young tall, 200cm plus, forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck, with Ballenden and Fullarton.
I just can't see Ballenden ever making it as he seems so passive. Not sure how he "toughens up" as Schache was much more highly rated and he doesn't seem like he wll ever be a top forward due to his nature.

I just can't see Ballenden ever making it as he seems so passive. Not sure how he "toughens up" as Schache was much more highly rated and he doesn't seem like he wll ever be a top forward due to his nature.
I agree. But I don’t see the need to shore up KPF just yet if we get Daniher.

None of Daniher, McStay, Hipwood or Fullarton should be retiring any time soon.

I believe ruck and midfield should be a focus.

Agree.

I think a fit Daniher will top off our forward line and with Payne showing plenty when played this season our backline is set except for a hard to come by running defender.

Still need mids, lets hope your favourite Dev Robertson steps up as a missing mid piece next season along with Cockatoo fwd/mid.
Hey Jason mp I meant to reply to this post a while a go.

A couple of academy kids to watch out for year. Another academy watcher mentioned to me, his words...

“Watch out for Kuot Thok (Grange) next year, he's only about 182 cm but has a massive leap on him, incredible athleticism and courageous as well.”

“Sam Winterbottom, a 17 yo from Mt Gravatt. He's small and light at the moment but tough and talented - a bit of Toby Greene about him.”

From reports, Kuot plays as a small defender.

Also listening to Fagan, a couple of our development coaches have been moved across to the academy, so it will be interesting to see if there’s a noticeable change in our academy performances and development of the kids.

Not sure if any of the kids will get to train with the AFL team this offseason.

Hey Jason mp I meant to reply to this post a while a go.

A couple of academy kids to watch out for year. Another academy watcher mentioned to me, his words...

From reports, Kuot plays as a small defender.

Also listening to Fagan, a couple of our development coaches have been moved across to the academy, so it will be interesting to see if there’s a noticeable change in our academy performances and development of the kids.

Not sure if any of the kids will get to train with the AFL team this offseason.
Was an interesting comment from Fages - these development coaches are outside the soft cap when they go to the Academy.

Chol, Jiath, Aliir, the Frederick brothers and Khamis are the others I think. Which makes six unless I've missed someone.
Technically Daw until list lodgment 1, and I'm sure he'll be picked up by someone.

Chol, Jiath, Aliir, the Frederick brothers and Khamis are the others I think. Which makes six unless I've missed someone.

Bigoa Nyuon too.. Kenyan / South Sudanese family.

I am sure there are people on here that can give more information the players, but the Lions are very big into 2 kids from the Oakleigh Chargers. Conor Stone and Bailey Laurie. Does anyone know much about either of them?
The video of Laurie from the 2019 looks pretty handy.

I am sure there are people on here that can give more information the players, but the Lions are very big into 2 kids from the Oakleigh Chargers. Conor Stone and Bailey Laurie. Does anyone know much about either of them?
eDPS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Source of information?

With our picks getting pushed out to 18 and 19, I wonder whether that trade up option may now be limited to something as high as North Melbourne's pick 11.

One of the kids at school I teach, dad is the head coach of Oakleigh (now moved to Northern Knights) he came into school yesterday saying the Lions were on the phone with his dad for an hour on Thursday night about those 2
Just a pure guess, but I’d say we’re likely doing such due diligence on as many as 30 odd players.

Yeah most likely, he did mention that Will Phillips is the pick of the bunch and rates up there as one of the best kids he's coached.
Yep, if we can manage to go up the draft board Will Phillips is the dream scenario slider to get hold of, he has been rated all the way from pick 1 to pick 9 on the ratings I've seen. One assessment I saw had him matching it with Matt Rowell in his underage year.

Yep, if we can manage to go up the draft board Will Phillips is the dream scenario slider to get hold of, he has been rated all the way from pick 1 to pick 9 on the ratings I've seen. One assessment I saw had him matching it with Matt Rowell in his underage year.

There were actually 2 that compared Phillips favourably to Matt Rowell.

I know you're not Knightmare 's number 1 fan briz but this from his power rankings >

3. Will Phillips

Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 180cm, 79kg
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 3-10
Preseason ranking: 2

Rationale: Impact for Oakleigh during the 2019 finals series was comparable to Matthew Rowell, and arguably stronger than Noah Anderson. Phillips is not only a prolific ball winner, but he combines contested ball-winning and acceleration to impact games. He's the best midfielder in the draft but drops one spot due to the meteoric rise of Logan McDonald.

Another phantom drafter has him as the number 1 talent in the draft pool ie, Davo-27

1. Will Phillips - dont get me wrong, i can see the value in good tall forwards and i understand why they are likely to go 1-2 in the draft, but for me Phillips is my pick for best player in the draft, clean handling, tough, leader by action, smart, determined and competitive, runs out of congestion, uses the ball nearly every time constructively, consistent performer, consistently one of the best players on field over about a dozen games (p.s. out performed Rowell at times in the 2019 finals series, Rowell who had been king of the big games for over 2 years)

Phantom drafters here on BF, in the general footy media and some highlight vision is all I go go by when forming an opinion on prospects.

Just a pure guess, but I’d say we’re likely doing such due diligence on as many as 30 odd players.

I was looking through draft thread "smythes-draft-watch-2020" and found the same. Connor Stone and Bailey Laurie were in that 20s to 40s range. Looks like we are doing due diligence across a bunch that are likely to be there.

1604127587998.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back