List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
I've been paying more attention to this years draft over the last few weeks, like the sound of Zane Trew, Eddie Ford, Tanner Bruhn(maybe our annual injured recruit :D) and I also agree with briztoon re Archie Perkins.

Logan McDonald would be great as our long term elite KPF but likely to go way too high for us to be a chance, apparently killing it in the WAFL seniors.
I’m guessing Zane Trew possibly goes top 11 to 14, before the top 8 teams finals teams enter the draft.

Bruhn as well if his knee is ticked off by club medicos.

Eddie Ford has reportedly tons of potential, with his best compared to Daisy Thomas, but he looked overweight at times last year, and often during games looked to coast through and inject himself when he felt like it. But there are reports he knuckled down during the offseason and looked in top shape during preseason.

I share @jjami15’s trepidation about this years draft, with potentially/probably 50% of the draft pool not playing this year.

We won’t know who has stagnated, or who the late developers are from Victoria.

If we could trade one of our firsts for a future first, I would do such a trade.

I’d probably have a short list of 15 odd players I’d be comfortable drafting in the first round, otherwise I’d prefer to trade back and possibly select players to fill a need.

Gold Coast wasn’t a suitor.

Crouch’s people approached Gold Coast. GC discussed it, and turned down Crouch.
Incorrect, both parties were keen had a contract agreed but Crows wanted one of the local SA boys back with pick 2 as well. Gold Coast dodged a bullet.

I’m guessing Zane Trew possibly goes top 11 to 14, before the top 8 teams finals teams enter the draft.

Bruhn as well if his knee is ticked off by club medicos.

Eddie Ford has reportedly tons of potential, with his best compared to Daisy Thomas, but he looked overweight at times last year, and often during games looked to coast through and inject himself when he felt like it. But there are reports he knuckled down during the offseason and looked in top shape during preseason.

I share @jjami15’s trepidation about this years draft, with potentially/probably 50% of the draft pool not playing this year.

We won’t know who has stagnated, or who the late developers are from Victoria.

If we could trade one of our firsts for a future first, I would do such a trade.

I’d probably have a short list of 15 odd players I’d be comfortable drafting in the first round, otherwise I’d prefer to trade back and possibly select players to fill a need.

Do you see us do a GWS and throw multiple picks in to climb as high as possible? Sounds like we need to be higher to get a top talent who can really add to our group. If North's second pick is closer to 10 I wonder if they'll trade it along with a late pick for two of our 15/16/17/18.

Incorrect, both parties were keen had a contract agreed but Crows wanted one of the local SA boys back with pick 2 as well. Gold Coast dodged a bullet.
Have you got a link to a report of this, as that’s the first I have heard this.

My comments come directly from Gold Coast list manager Craig Cameron, which he has mentioned in several interviews, that latest on a Road to the Draft episode.

Do you see us do a GWS and throw multiple picks in to climb as high as possible? Sounds like we need to be higher to get a top talent who can really add to our group. If North's second pick is closer to 10 I wonder if they'll trade it along with a late pick for two of our 15/16/17/18.
Last year the club was open about trying to trade it’s first two picks to move up in to the top 10 or 12, with the speculation that we had targeted Deven Robertson.

So it’s always possible we could look to trade up again.

Steph Conole mentioned that the club hoped the Port pick we traded for, would end up a top 10 pick.

That’s not looking likely now.

I don’t believe North would be open to trading either of their first round picks.

Our best chance of trading up would be to either Carlton or Sydney.

If Sydney move up from their current position, where they just miss finals, they may trade back on draft night for extra points if a bid comes before their pick for one of their academy kids.

If Carlton are still set on trading their first round pick for a player or players during trade week, they might want to split their first round pick.

If we do trade up, I would like to see us acquire a mid second round pick to target a ruck or ruck forward in the draft.

There might be a couple around that mark. Shannon Neale from South Fremantle in WA or Max Heath from Sandringham Dragons.

Last year the club was open about trying to trade it’s first two picks to move up in to the top 10 or 12, with the speculation that we had targeted Deven Robertson.

So it’s always possible we could look to trade up again.

Steph Conole mentioned that the club hoped the Port pick we traded for, would end up a top 10 pick.

That’s not looking likely now.

I don’t believe North would be open to trading either of their first round picks.

Our best chance of trading up would be to either Carlton or Sydney.

If Sydney move up from their current position, where they just miss finals, they may trade back on draft night for extra points if a bid comes before their pick for one of their academy kids.

If Carlton are still set on trading their first round pick for a player or players during trade week, they might want to split their first round pick.

If we do trade up, I would like to see us acquire a mid second round pick to target a ruck or ruck forward in the draft.

There might be a couple around that mark. Shannon Neale from South Fremantle in WA or Max Heath from Sandringham Dragons.

Neale tapping to Neale would be awesome for us :)

Remember, the mantra of Fagan, Noble and Ambrogio is "draft for talent, trade for need". I'm not sure we're going to draft a KPF or ruck at all, seeing as Archie is on the list for another season and a list reduction might be coming. It'd be very difficult to predict who we'd be interested in, after all who had us taking Brock Smith or Jaxon Prior last year, or passing up both Martyn and Cumberland?

Remember, the mantra of Fagan, Noble and Ambrogio is "draft for talent, trade for need". I'm not sure we're going to draft a KPF or ruck at all, seeing as Archie is on the list for another season and a list reduction might be coming. It'd be very difficult to predict who we'd be interested in, after all who had us taking Brock Smith or Jaxon Prior last year, or passing up both Martyn and Cumberland?
Some of us who follow the draft and listen to Conole knew we would be prioritising small or medium defenders at the draft.

I had hoped we would consider Cumberland, but once we made the pick trades we did, and only took one late pick to the draft, and four total, we knew the club was only taking one academy prospect, and most speculated that it would be Coleman.

Trading for need becomes a lot more important when you are finishing top 4. Will be interesting to see what teams do this year. Everyone might want to trade into next year. There might be some really good value in the draft for those that stay or look to trade up and back in their recruiters.

We often go a player who misses their final year with injury, so draft them based on their under year. Could see us looking to trade up and taking top talent TBH. I guess it will depend on what our potential trade and FA plans are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m coming around to the opinion that there is very much a cross over between drafting for talent and drafting for need.

Especially if it’s outside the very elite, top end of the draft.

We clearly require more than just talent in our draftees. They also need to meet specific character requirements, both on and off the field.

There’s also the possibility of a ruck being the highest rated talent at one of our first picks.

I wouldn’t discount that possibility picking at the back end of the first round.

Matt Rendell, who has lost his job as recruiter at Collingwood due to staff cut backs, mentioned on a recent interview that he believes Max Heath from Sandringham is a first round talent (he mentioned top 15).

There’s also the possibility of a ruck being the highest rated talent at one of our first picks.

I wouldn’t discount that possibility picking at the back end of the first round.

Matt Rendell, who has lost his job as recruiter at Collingwood due to staff cut backs, mentioned on a recent interview that he believes Max Heath from Sandringham is a first round talent (he mentioned top 15).
Of course, if there's a ruck who is the top talent at wherever our pick is, they're a possible candidate. We'll see where Heath is rated at the end of the season.

While there is an overlap between drafting for talent and drafting for need, I'm not sure how well that applies for ruck or KPP prospects. There are some like the Kings or English who are good enough to make an impact relatively early, but most of them seem to only become consistently good around 24-26.

It feels like drafting in those positions for need is about gauging needs six years ahead, rather than in the short term. So I can see why teams would be hesitant to commit draft capital to a ruck, when players like Pittonet and Lycett seem to emerge in that age group and can be traded for.

Of course, if there's a ruck who is the top talent at wherever our pick is, they're a possible candidate. We'll see where Heath is rated at the end of the season.

While there is an overlap between drafting for talent and drafting for need, I'm not sure how well that applies for ruck or KPP prospects. There are some like the Kings or English who are good enough to make an impact relatively early, but most of them seem to only become consistently good around 24-26.

It feels like drafting in those positions for need is about gauging needs six years ahead, rather than in the short term. So I can see why teams would be hesitant to commit draft capital to a ruck, when players like Pittonet and Lycett seem to emerge in that age group and can be traded for.
Yep, agree with all that.

I don’t know opposition club lists well at all, to be able to identify an emerging ruck to trade for.

I don’t know how we can judge a lot of the Vic kids, with the high likelihood of them not playing any football at all this year.

There’s just no way at this stage, how anyone can identify who would have been this years late developers, or players who have barely changed from they were 16.

Forgive me for thinking about Longer and Leuenberger as soon as a read that.
I think I'm too scarred by the past. :(

Forgive me for thinking about Longer and Leuenberger as soon as a read that.
I think I'm too scarred by the past. :(
Every team will have hits and misses on every positional player, at every point in the draft.

Just because we missed on Schache, doesn’t mean we should never draft a KPF again with a high pick.

Every team will have hits and misses on every positional player, at every point in the draft.

Just because we missed on Schache, doesn’t mean we should never draft a KPF again with a high pick.

My reference was just to drafting first round rucks. I was one of those in favor of taking Longer at 8 as well.

This article pretty much mirrors my mind.

Last edited:
I think late first round is a bit different though. Especially if we have two picks there abouts

Yep, late pick might be ok. I'm just overthinking it. I'm sure the club will also try to package the picks up to climb higher (or) exchange it for a future first. Either way we could keep drafting the good top end talent.

This year is going to be go hit and miss that I would be quite happy if the club judged a ruckman as best with our first pick. Every club is in the same boat.

Already, it is apparant that the Demons got it right with pic k3.

NAB League cancelled .... good luck to all the recruiters and trying to pick players at the end of the season.

They should just cancel the draft this year and raise the draft year to 19
creates a different problem of twice as many kids trying to be drafted next year (unless you are proposing to move it to 19 permanently in which case that is a different set of issues) also how does say an Adelaide improve if they can't bring in young talent for a season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back