List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
Nothing like a good old never ending Gold Coast concession at play that just keeps on going. :rolleyes:
Seriously their concessions started last year, and by all reports are set to end next year, except for their Darwin zone.

They got their initial draft start up concessions, which were then diluted by GWS’s concessions the very next year. After that, they didn’t have any for 7 years.

You can’t just start a new club without giving them something that disadvantages every other team.

Now I agree with you that there should only be 14 teams in the competition, that there should be a team in Tasmania (but not at the expense of Gold Coast), and that we should lose 5 of the Victorian teams.

But that’s not going to happen in our lifetime, so we work within the system that is.

I don’t barrack for Gold Coast, or have a second team, and I’m kind of worried about what they’ll become in a few years, but I don’t wish any team ill (except for maybe Collingwood falling in to a black hole of their making), and I’ll always support another QLD team over any other team.

I just prefer not to channel my energy in to things I enjoy, rather than dwelling on the every negative, especially ones out of my control.

wow, what a waste of data i've used on this. Suns are here to stay, move on. Just be glad footy in QLD is growing and the Lions are winning ffs. Suns will rise next year too. good on them. I support QLD footy. I support NSW footy. Any AFL in non-traditional states I support the growth of the game because I'm not a ******* boomer stuck in the 70s and 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I lost my team when the VFL did nothing to protect it, so why should the AFL protect Gold Coast as much as they do to the detriment of all other clubs through continuous compromised drafts and concessions i.e. being given the NT.
Maybe the VFL should have done something to protect it. They are at least doing something now so there aren't more Fitzroys.

At the end of the day, there are too many clubs and not enough talent and the comp should be reduced to 14
I don't agree. There are still plenty of players in the state leagues that are good enough for an AFL list but aren't on one. There is plenty of talent. People make this complaint at various times but we have no objective way to actually test it.

so yeah, if that is disgusting and heartless, so be it.
I'm glad you agree with my assessment. At least now I know not to expect any level of compassion from you.

Er, what is your definition of SEQ.

It most definitely is seperate markets, depending what you’re looking at.

In a sporting sense, Gold Coast is a seperate market. So to would be Ipswich, if you plonked a team there.

I think of the Gold Coast and Ipswich as part of SEQ. They are part of the urban sprawl that now connects them, along with public transport and road infrastructure. All within easy reach of most people who are willing and able to travel 40 minutes to an hour to see a game of footy.

Are they separate? Not really. You can talk about individuals' sporting preferences (teams/codes) as being different regardless of where they live. But in terms of connectedness and access to teams in the region, they aren't separate markets in my opinion.

I honestly dont get the lack of talent argument for creating more AFL teams. We got rid of players like C Lyons and Hinge who have not been able to get a game on our list. They would be shoe-ins as regular role players for other teams. You would think sometime in the mid 2020s the AFL would look to expand with another 2 teams. Tasmania would need a lot of government assistance to get a team up give how little their population is and hence how little the additional TV/advertisement revenue would be minimal. A third WA team or a Canberra team would be great. If they could fold or relocate a Melbourne based club like the Roos, Saints or Demons the competition would be less lopsided.

wow, what a waste of data i've used on this. Suns are here to stay, move on. Just be glad footy in QLD is growing and the Lions are winning ffs. Suns will rise next year too. good on them. I support QLD footy. I support NSW footy. Any AFL in non-traditional states I support the growth of the game because I'm not a ******* boomer stuck in the 70s and 80s.
Poor dear, hates boomers. Must have been left out of nana’s will😔

As a boomer myself I take no offence to the generalizations, I will not air any of my generalizations in regards to the younger generations.

lMH0Bo.gif

As a boomer myself I take no offence to the generalizations, I will not air any of my generalizations in regards to the younger generations.

lMH0Bo.gif

Classic Boomer using millennial gifs to make a point.

;)

Honestly there really needs to be a side in Tassie.
Not sure Canberra. Suns and GWS here to stay now.
A third side in WA or SA maybe.
There are too many sides in Vic.. Although after having my team killed to start another. not overly happy with this idea
So be a side moving and not sure Hawks and North do that.
So do you go 20 team comp and Tassie and third WA or SA team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon a team in Tassie and the promotion of the NT Thunder.

This can either be done by moving North and another team (personally, I'm pushing for Essendon, long shot though it is), or just upping the comp to 20 teams.

Both GC and GWS are long term plays. They'll get there, and in the meanwhile, they're (particularly GWS) there as more competition to Rugby League.

Anyway, DRAFT thread. Long but good read

Collingwood's future first-round pick had been the source of plenty of conversations in the weeks before the draft. Adelaide had tried to land it for a combination of picks this year (23 and 40) and next year, while Brisbane also hoped to secure it in a deal involving pick 25.

Having traded back up the draft, the Magpies then placed a bid on Blake Coleman, who they ranked a spot behind Macrae. The Lions matched but it wiped out their next selection, which likely would have been used on Jack Carroll, who was sliding, or O'Driscoll.

Last edited:
Have I missed an interview with our other new recruit Harry Walsh?
he also is still in school like Henry Sharp, but maybe shy and hasn’t got in front of our media team as yet?

he also is still in school like Henry Sharp, but maybe shy and hasn’t got in front of our media team as yet?

I meant Henry Smith that kid from Adelaide we drafted this year.
Gosh long morning
I can see I’m going to get Henry and Harry mixed up.

He's not in school as far as I can tell. Only Sharp is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back