List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
Had another chat today to the Oakleigh coach. I was asking about the Lions pick and who would be the best option from his players. He said they shouldn't hesitate in calling Connor Stone as quickly as possible. Said in his view he is the best value pick in the draft and the Lions have shown continual interest. He also gave another massive wrap on Bailey Laurie but said he is confident he will gone by the time the Lions pick.
Like others have mentioned I am sure the Lions are looking at multiple players and the Coleman bid will be interesting, but it's some food for thought.

If Collingwood bids with pick 16, it'll basically just eat 25 and move 53 back a bit. We'll still have quite a few points if we're looking at Carter Michael, for example.
Very astute observation
This is my understanding - As the picks currently stand (that is, ignoring other likely bids, swaps etc), and assuming we don't trade in another pick for more points, if Collingwood bids at 16 and we match it would mean we lose pick 25 and our next pick (53) would move back to 61. Even less of an issue with picks getting pushed back.

Had another chat today to the Oakleigh coach. I was asking about the Lions pick and who would be the best option from his players. He said they shouldn't hesitate in calling Connor Stone as quickly as possible. Said in his view he is the best value pick in the draft and the Lions have shown continual interest. He also gave another massive wrap on Bailey Laurie but said he is confident he will gone by the time the Lions pick.
Like others have mentioned I am sure the Lions are looking at multiple players and the Coleman bid will be interesting, but it's some food for thought.
So we might become Stone collectors.

Trading out our 2021 Melbourne first rounder would be a mistake and I think it's highly unlikely. If the Dees implode we could be looking at a top 4 pick in a very strong draft.
Ahh yes the Grass is Greener syndrome, IIRC nearly every draft is hyped as a very strong/super draft and many times even before the previous years draft has been done and dusted. It works the other way round as well, drafts are said to be weak or lacking depth and in hindsight turn out to be good and/or deep.

In saying that if we retain the 2 picks in the 1st round next year I really do hope the rating is correct and it is an unparalleled super draft.

Cal Twomey believes Collingwood are massively into Coleman and expects a bid in the top 20

Listening to the RTTD segment, he also said most clubs rate him around the top 25 mark.

Whatever picks we end up using, we're getting a late first/early second round talent into the side, after trading into next year's first round.

Ahh yes the Grass is Greener syndrome, IIRC nearly every draft is hyped as a very strong/super draft and many times even before the previous years draft has been done and dusted. It works the other way round as well, drafts are said to be weak or lacking depth and in hindsight turn out to be good and/or deep.

In saying that if we retain the 2 picks in the 1st round next year I really do hope the rating is correct and it is an unparalleled super draft.
It does become a bit of an overused comment in regards to the draft coming up but I don’t think I did with this years. Could be wrong. My main reason to not focus on this draft is that these boys didn’t get the opportunity to show what they can do and as you know there are late bloomers and those who fall away as well. Therefore for me it feels a bit hit and miss. Furthermore we don’t really have the list spots to be hitting this draft and we still have a number of young guys who haven’t had the opportunity to play firsts. Lastly, it is so compromised. Wether or not next years is going to be a better draft I just think we would be better placed to place a larger focus on next years.

Coleman at #28. That would hypothetically be before our pick 25.

Mentions us being interested in Stone and Carroll.
Davies and Jeffrey are on that list too but they won't be in the draft. So I'd say Coleman is almost certainly getting bid on before our first pick.

Phantoms regularly overrate academy picks.

Although, TBH most of names thrown up around our first pick sound fairly average anyway.
BF Phantoms do.

Twomey's don't tend to as much, because he uses actual club info as a base.

From what I've heard and seen, a ranking of 25-28 for Coleman pre-academy bids is pretty on the money. And by trading down to pick 25 it would seem the club thinks so too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace! I'm picking for Brisbane in the above ^ phantom. For your first pick, assuming Coleman hasn't been bid on, Jake Bowey seems like a great pick and great match with his outside class and foot skills. Also a fan of Zavier Maher, and possibly Max Heath as a developing ruck. Do those sound okay, and are there others you'd suggest if they're available?

I come in peace! I'm picking for Brisbane in the above ^ phantom. For your first pick, assuming Coleman hasn't been bid on, Jake Bowey seems like a great pick and great match with his outside class and foot skills. Also a fan of Zavier Maher, and possibly Max Heath as a developing ruck. Do those sound okay, and are there others you'd suggest if they're available?

Not consensus, but Max Heath would be a good get, IMO.

There has been some scuttlebutt that Eddie Ford could be a big slider, would grab him in a heartbeat if he fell to us.

I do also like Bowey and Maher, not a big fan of drafting 18 year old rucks and having to wait 4-5 years for them to be viable at AFL level though particularly when we are in our flag window right now.

The other one I like is Bailey Laurie although it looks like he'll go before our selection.

There has been some scuttlebutt that Eddie Ford could be a big slider, would grab him in a heartbeat if he fell to us.

I do also like Bowey and Maher, not a big fan of drafting 18 year old rucks and having to wait 4-5 years for them to be viable at AFL level though particularly when we are in our flag window right now.

The other one I like is Bailey Laurie although it looks like he'll go before our selection.

We were the youngest side in the finals this year. We have two first round picks next year and a top 5 father/son the following year. If we manage things correctly we should be in our flag window for an extended period and to do that we need to coverage across all areas including the ruck.

This year is the best ruck class in 5 or 6 years. There are multiple options likely to be available when we pick. To me I grab one and quietly develop him in the background to provide depth initially but also to be in his prime when the younger group become the veterans of the next generation.

I have been very disappointed in the available rucks for the last 4 or so years. Not so this year and I really hope we take advantage of the available talent.

We were the youngest side in the finals this year. We have two first round picks next year and a top 5 father/son the following year. If we manage things correctly we should be in our flag window for an extended period and to do that we need to coverage across all areas including the ruck.

This year is the best ruck class in 5 or 6 years. There are multiple options likely to be available when we pick. To me I grab one and quietly develop him in the background to provide depth initially but also to be in his prime when the younger group become the veterans of the next generation.

I have been very disappointed in the available rucks for the last 4 or so years. Not so this year and I really hope we take advantage of the available talent.
As long as they don't turn out to be another Billy Longer, Llane Spaanderman or Archie Smith. Taking rucks and KPFs seems anecdotally to be more hit and miss than mids and KPDs.

As long as they don't turn out to be another Billy Longer, Llane Spaanderman or Archie Smith. Taking rucks and KPFs seems anecdotally to be more hit and miss than mids and KPDs.
I think they're just harder positions to play in the modern era.

We have played around with Archie Smith in the ruck, gave him lots of opportunity and moved him to and from the rookie list, he has 1 year to go on his contract and I think the general consensus is that he will be gone unless a huge turnaround. We could have used Eagles in a pinch as back up ruck be he is gone. Martin went to you blokes and with the supporters blessing so our back up 2nd ruck is probably Ballenden and i think we have shown our hand on him by not moving him directly to the rookie list but committing to re-draft him. So long story short we are left with Tom Fullerton whom is probably a key forward rather than a ruck but we will see. Drafting a ruck seem your right call, best available. But given our relative inexperience we may go for a de-listed player that has some experience, or even bless our cotton socks leave a spot open for the mid season draft and see if Big O and Daniher do the job .

+ Cam Wood

I agree KPF's and rucks are more misses than hits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back