List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:

I'm hopeful Elijah Hollands falls to us due to his ACL with whichever pick of ours or Port is higher if not traded beforehand.
I’d rather not take the risk with a first round pick.

That’s a boom or bust type pick.

Boom if he comes back exactly the same. He’s a Connor Rozee level talent.

Bust if he’s unable to get back on the field or he’s not the same athletically as he was before the injury.

It’s possible the first round of this years draft has some good depth, and we could pick up two quality kids.

I’d rather not take the risk with a first round pick.

That’s a boom or bust type pick.

Boom if he comes back exactly the same. He’s a Connor Rozee level talent.

Bust if he’s unable to get back on the field or he’s not the same athletically as he was before the injury.

It’s possible the first round of this years draft has some good depth, and we could pick up two quality kids.
Watching him last year, I firmly believe Hollands would have been a strong pick 1 contender this season. ACL is a set back but doesn't make him a boom or bust prospect by default in my opinion.

Watching him last year, I firmly believe Hollands would have been a strong pick 1 contender this season. ACL is a set back but doesn't make him a boom or bust prospect by default in my opinion.
With the rate of re-injury we’re seeing in the juniors and young AFL players currently, it certainly makes him a boom or bust pick in my opinion.

With the rate of re-injury we’re seeing in the juniors and young AFL players currently, it certainly makes him a boom or bust pick in my opinion.

Every draftee is at risk of not making it, so it really comes down to how much of a risk a player is - personally I'd back our medical team to give the right advice when drafting a kid who is injury prone. It may be a bust anyways, but such is the draft.

Every draftee is at risk of not making it, so it really comes down to how much of a risk a player is - personally I'd back our medical team to give the right advice when drafting a kid who is injury prone. It may be a bust anyways, but such is the draft.
Just my uneducated view, but I see an acl in a different light to injury prone.

There is a higher repeat injury risk, than say a broken leg, like Witherden had in his draft year.

I would have no issue using a 3rd round pick on such a kid, as we did with Skinner. But definitely baulk at the prospect of using a first round pick.

The potential of reduced playing list is also a potential factor.

So to, that neither Baldwin or Hollands is in the same class as Max King. They don’t offer the same risk versus reward, in my view.

There is one potential way I might consider drafting such a player, but it would require delisting a contracted player, risk losing said player, but then pick that player back up in the preseason draft.

Wishful thinking of the family to name their son James.

Ive seen a fair bit of 'Jimmy the Jet' Packer. Always thought he had a good chance of getting drafted. He's tall enough, quick, good tank, agility, hands, moves really well, penetrating-accurate kick, very slick.

My concern to this point is he has had some head knocks. One Ko is bad luck. But a few, suggests he's putting his head where it shouldnt be. Jimmy is very competitive.. Throws his body round. No 'keep your feet' rule with James. Personally i think that is his fix. 'Keep his feet' and get his head away from the ground and legs etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone watched any of the QAFL scratch matches?
Are any of our academy kids playing?

Crozier and Coleman playing for Morningside, Abberley for Grange, Michael for Maroochydore - Round 1 of QAFL starts next Saturday and any Academy boys not injured will almost certainly be playing for someone.

Shaping up as easily the strongest QAFL comp for many years with all clubs being bolstered by multiple NEAFL players, young blokes will certainly have to earn their kicks.

Crozier and Coleman playing for Morningside, Abberley for Grange, Michael for Maroochydore - Round 1 of QAFL starts next Saturday and any Academy boys not injured will almost certainly be playing for someone.

Shaping up as easily the strongest QAFL comp for many years with all clubs being bolstered by multiple NEAFL players, young blokes will certainly have to earn their kicks.
What about Bruce Reville and Noah McFadyen?

Thanks for the response.

Anyone know if QAFL matches will be live screened this year again?

One would think Victorian talent scouts are going to have a job getting to QLD to look at the talent, and live streams would be one way of exposing some of our young stars.

Unfortunately a lot(most) of the AFLQ guys n gals are currently still on the bench. May not have the staff to do the streams? Would be a pity for the aforementioned reason, as well as being a great innovation. I enjoyed watching some of the games on Tele.

Just heard that the NAB League which was due to start on 22 August and the VFL which was due to start on 1 August are both on indefinite hiatus and unlikely to go ahead in 2020.

No doubt there are serious ramifications for the draft and good recruiters will be worth their weight in gold this year essentially picking on bottom age form and their future projections.

Just heard that the NAB League which was due to start on 22 August and the VFL which was due to start on 1 August are both on indefinite hiatus and unlikely to go ahead in 2020.

No doubt there are serious ramifications for the draft and good recruiters will be worth their weight in gold this year essentially picking on bottom age form and their future projections.
Fair bit of discussion on the draft board about this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back