List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Again the Northern academies will be playing in the NAB league this year.

Round 4 sees Brisbane play the Oakleigh Chargers, who are clear favourites to win the NAB league. Oakleigh is loaded with potential first round draftees. The only question is whether the private school competition starts back, as most of Oakleighs prospects attend private schools.

Again the Northern academies will be playing in the NAB league this year.

Round 4 sees Brisbane play the Oakleigh Chargers, who are clear favourites to win the NAB league. Oakleigh is loaded with potential first round draftees. The only question is whether the private school competition starts back, as most of Oakleighs prospects attend private schools.

Do you have any thoughts on a March team for the Lions first game Briztoon

Do you have any thoughts on a March team for the Lions first game Briztoon
I don’t know our a academy team I’m afraid. Like most, I’m limited to reading articles that mention our academy kids.

When they start playing in the NAB League, hopefully the games are televised on the NAB League App.

#judge might the person to ask.

There's probably two teams with not a lot in common, the one I'd choose and the one I expect to actually be selected by the Academy guys.

Not a big fan of the U18 talent in the Academy this year, in my view the quality drops off pretty sharply after the top 4-5 and the talls definitely aren't strong. However, there are a few 18 yo's I rate who did not get a crack last year but will hopefully get a game this year such as John Baker and Kirk McGrory (injured in 2018).

I quite like this year's U17's from a purely talent perspective even though many are a bit under-sized at the moment - keep your eye out for guys like Lochy Harrop, Noah McFadyen, and James Packer (all of whom will probably play each week) plus some lesser-knowns like Kuot Thok, Dan Lanthois, Sam Winterbottom and Reed Maskell-Dobbin.

I think the Academy team will really struggle this year, but having said all that I'll be happy to see both the team and anyone I don't personally rate at the moment prove me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's probably two teams with not a lot in common, the one I'd choose and the one I expect to actually be selected by the Academy guys.
You think we might be better served exposing the U17s early, or just predict politics in the U18 selections? :)

You think we might be better served exposing the U17s early, or just predict politics in the U18 selections? :)

To answer your questions dlanod, yes and yes. ;)

If it's not club politics or favoritism of some kind that drives the selection of this year's 18yo group, particularly some of the guys who got NAB League games last year as under-agers, I'm not sure what's going on as it can't be explained by performance or talent.

If it's not club politics or favoritism of some kind that drives the selection of this year's 18yo group, particularly some of the guys who got NAB League games last year as under-agers, I'm not sure what's going on as it can't be explained by performance or talent.
Any overages worthy ?

Not a big fan of the U18 talent in the Academy this year, in my view the quality drops off pretty sharply after the top 4-5 and the talls definitely aren't strong. However, there are a few 18 yo's I rate who did not get a crack last year but will hopefully get a game this year such as John Baker and Kirk McGrory (injured in 2018).

I quite like this year's U17's from a purely talent perspective even though many are a bit under-sized at the moment - keep your eye out for guys like Lochy Harrop, Noah McFadyen, and James Packer (all of whom will probably play each week) plus some lesser-knowns like Kuot Thok, Dan Lanthois, Sam Winterbottom and Reed Maskell-Dobbin.

I think the Academy team will really struggle this year, but having said all that I'll be happy to see both the team and anyone I don't personally rate at the moment prove me wrong.

Thanks for your replies Judge. Always appreciate your academy discussion.

I’ve wondered for a couple years now if there is some form of politics at play when our academy rep team is selected for competitions.

I don’t understand why the top U17’s aren’t always included in our academy rep teams. It’s not like our U18’s are always choc full of talent.

Any overages worthy ?

To be honest I’m not sure if there any 19yo’s playing for the Academy this year, maybe Bruce Reville who I think would be the only overager of potential draft quality.

Tom Wischnat would really help them, but I don’t know where he’s at this season.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies Judge. Always appreciate your academy discussion.

I’ve wondered for a couple years now if there is some form of politics at play when our academy rep team is selected for competitions.

I don’t understand why the top U17’s aren’t always included in our academy rep teams. It’s not like our U18’s are always choc full of talent.

I would say that the 17 yo’s got more than their fair share of NAB League games last year, some were clearly up to it but some others were just average Colts players from the right clubs.....

I would say that the 17 yo’s got more than their fair share of NAB League games last year, some were clearly up to it but some others were just average Colts players from the right clubs.....
Any chance you can expand on the “right clubs....”

Wishful thinking of the family to name their son James.

To be honest I’m not sure if there any 19yo’s playing for the Academy this year, maybe Bruce Reville who I think would be the only overager of potential draft quality.

Tom Wischnat would really help them, but I don’t know where he’s at this season.

Thanks for the info.

I rate Special Bruce's talent very highly. Consistent application and the ability to find enough of the ball to take over games was the issue for him last year from what I saw. He is one who could certainly make the jump to AFL level given a year of hard work this year. The avenue that takes though could be similar to Coleman last year where he did not really play much in the representative games instead he was played as a regular top-up to integrate him into the team and assess him closely.

Thanks for the info.

I rate Special Bruce's talent very highly. Consistent application and the ability to find enough of the ball to take over games was the issue for him last year from what I saw. He is one who could certainly make the jump to AFL level given a year of hard work this year. The avenue that takes though could be similar to Coleman last year where he did not really play much in the representative games instead he was played as a regular top-up to integrate him into the team and assess him closely.
I thought I might have heard it mentioned that Kobe Tozer might play as an overager this year. (When fit)

Thanks for the info.

i like Reville, have seen him play quite a few times but I think he'll need to follow the same improvement curve as Keidean Coleman did last year to have a good chance of being drafted - hopefully he does.

The noise I've been hearing is that both internally and externally Blake Coleman is rated as the more talented of the two brothers, with Essendon keen to bid on him in this year's draft if he has another good year.

All the signs are good for Blake but he still has to take his game up a level to secure a draft spot, his form for the Allies should tell the tale one way or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back