List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
i like Reville, have seen him play quite a few times but I think he'll need to follow the same improvement curve as Keidean Coleman did last year to have a good chance of being drafted - hopefully he does.

The noise I've been hearing is that both internally and externally Blake Coleman is rated as the more talented of the two brothers, with Essendon keen to bid on him in this year's draft if he has another good year.

All the signs are good for Blake but he still has to take his game up a level to secure a draft spot, his form for the Allies should tell the tale one way or the other.
Off to check what picks Essendon currently hold.

Edit: they don’t currently hold a second round pick, but do have Gold Coasts third round pick.

Really hoping they trade their first for Ollie Wines.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...**********-top-20-prospects-2020?platform=amp
I'll ask the obvious question from the list of 20. Is Sam Berry the youngest brother of Jared and Tom? I think somewhere in the small recesses of my memory i read he wasnt, but im not sure.

I guess Blake Coleman will be high on our draft list (i hope so). What type of player do you think the club will be looking to get this year? We have a plethora of young mids, stocked up on some hb's last year. Could we be looking at forwards, sm and tall, and possibly a ruckman? Id love to hear your thoughts and if you have any players in mind that may fit.

I know this is a draft thread but I didn't know where else to put this. So Darcy Moore is talked about as maybe being shaken from the wobble tree and I was wondering if there might be some merit in looking at him as a forward option, where he began his career?

I'm not very good at understanding the technical merits of players abilities but I do remember seeing his dad kick the skin off the ball a few times when I was young. Anyone care to elucidate?

I'll ask the obvious question from the list of 20. Is Sam Berry the youngest brother of Jared and Tom? I think somewhere in the small recesses of my memory i read he wasnt, but im not sure.

I guess Blake Coleman will be high on our draft list (i hope so). What type of player do you think the club will be looking to get this year? We have a plethora of young mids, stocked up on some hb's last year. Could we be looking at forwards, sm and tall, and possibly a ruckman? Id love to hear your thoughts and if you have any players in mind that may fit.
From what I’ve been told, not related at all.

Below is a post of mine from another draft discussion.

I’m ok where our defensive depth is at. Until we see whether Ah Chee is the answer or not, I’m not that worried about whether we have a running half back in the side or not.

I’m more worried about whether our small and medium defenders can genuinely defend against quality small and medium forwards.

I believe our trade and draft priorities should be;

1. A genuine full forward. If Skinner works out, possibly a second or third tall.

2. Either a mature first choice ruck or a young ruck to develop behind Steph and Big O.

3. Either a mid similar to McCluggage or a genuine outside mid with a strong contested game. Could be one of our academy kids.

4. A small forward. Hopefully Coleman’s younger brother is as good as I’ve talked him up to be.

5. A HFF in the mould of Jaidyn Stephenson.

I believe the only way we get a KPF is through the draft. There might be a few this year, though I’m not sure how many are genuine KPP size up around the 200cm mark.

I’d be hoping to land one with our first (Port) pick, unless there’s a top quality mid at that pick.

For a ruck, I believe we’ll see the league move away from the Oscar MacInerney style ruck. While Big O is a good tap ruck and good mark for a bail out kick down the line or up forward, he doesn’t off much around the ground. Nor is Big O a natural or fluid runner. He really labours with his running, and hasn’t got the tank to play 70+ percent of game time.

I think we’ll see teams look for Grundy, Steph or Luke Jackson type rucks, who can contribute around the ground and throw themselves in to a contest.

Or teams will look for Luke English type rucks, who are skilled, mobile and athletic.

Either way, teams need their rucks to be able to contribute around the ground. Otherwise teams with a tap ruck will find their midfielders doing more work than the opposition midfield unit, and tire quicker.

We need a quality foil for McCluggage who can contribute in the same way. After Zorko and McCluggage, we have very little creativity in our midfield. If not a McCluggage type mid, an outside runner who is not afraid of contact. Think a Jeremy Sharp type with Mitch Robinson’s thirst for the contest and hardness.

I’d almost rate that a higher need if there isn’t a gun KPF available at our first pick.

Just something random that was mentioned on the draft board this morning.

Brock Smith was in the Vic U12 School Boys side (along with Mat Rowell, Noah Anderson among half a dozen others).

So three of our draftees this year made their respective state U12 School Boys side In 2013. Both Prior and Robertson in the WA team.

Sam Berry is not a brother to Jarrod and Thomas, yes they have another brother Joel who is older playing Ballarat League

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its probably been asked before, of which I can't seem to recall, but are there any likely academy prospects this year that we're likely to draft?

Its probably been asked before, of which I can't seem to recall, but are there any likely academy prospects this year that we're likely to draft?
There's a Coleman brother, and a couple of others named but not necessarily regarded as being top end prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What dlanod said.

Blake Coleman is generally discussed as potentially being a better talent than Keidean.

If we draft Coleman junior, we’ll potentially rival Richmond for the number small forwards and forward flankers on a list.

I know this is a draft thread but I didn't know where else to put this. So Darcy Moore is talked about as maybe being shaken from the wobble tree and I was wondering if there might be some merit in looking at him as a forward option, where he began his career?

I'm not very good at understanding the technical merits of players abilities but I do remember seeing his dad kick the skin off the ball a few times when I was young. Anyone care to elucidate?

Bump

If there were a mini-draft where clubs could bring in top-ups from the state leagues, is there anyone in the NEAFL that would be worth bringing in?

I’m of the obvious view that recently delisted AFL players and those underage players overlooked in the both drafts will be in pretty strong demand if they’ve been training with VFL, SANFL, WAFL and NEAFL leagues.

From memory some of our Academy boys that played a fair bit of NEAFL games for the Lions would be strong chances to be brought in such as Matthews, Bruce <forget his surname>, Stackleberg etc. and any of the kids that have trained a lot with our club over this off season. Aside from them, would be interesting to know if any recent ex-AFL players that have relocated to the state that we could bring in i.e. Declan Watson or players like Ben Hudson who back in the day moved up here and Trent West IIRC.

The season’s pretty much a write off, let’s just tank it, and walk out stronger on the other side.
It’ll be interesting to see what eventually happens but I’m not counting out a cancelled season. What happens then? You can’t just look at last years table IMO. Maybe the last five years and then average it out, maybe a lottery system based on......something? Interesting times.

It’ll be interesting to see what eventually happens but I’m not counting out a cancelled season. What happens then? You can’t just look at last years table IMO. Maybe the last five years and then average it out, maybe a lottery system based on......something? Interesting times.
And then it will be a lottery as to who you pick, because you won’t get to see any of them play this year??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back