AFL Club
Hawthorn
A85B14DD-6ECD-4D66-AC3F-B4DFD418ED3C.gif

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is no circumstance in this world where I would take a Papley over a Rioli.

Given we've got multiple picks in the 40's couldn't we get them both?

Also pretty sure a considerable amount of people would happily take Tom Papley over Daniel Rioli as well 😉

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given we've got multiple picks in the 40's couldn't we get them both?

Also pretty sure a considerable amount of people would happily take Tom Papley over Daniel Rioli as well 😉

On footballing ability no doubt.

I value character a bit higher.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
We often talk about Best Available for the draft but we should all remember 2004. Hawthorn (read Clarkson) specifically wanted talls from that draft to replace the talls leaving (Thompson being one of them). If we had gone with best available, at that time, we would have grabbed Tambling and not Roughead.

This is why I would rule out taking a tall with our first.

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On footballing ability no doubt.

I value character a bit higher.

Without trying to sound like I'm having a crack because I'm not, how do you know that Daniel Rioli is a better person than Tom Papley?

Wasn't it Daniel Rioli that started tapping Mia Fevola while she was still going out with Josh Battle for example - does that make him a bad person? Not necessarily, but to say he's a better person than Tom Papley is a bit of a reach unless there's something you know that everyone else doesn't.

Also pretty sure that Papley is no more of a campaigner than opposition supporters believe James Sicily to be, when in actual fact Sic is a top notch bloke off the field and just has an extreme case of white line fever 😉

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

GWS picks also looking good- Pick 10- Reid/Perkins/Chapman, Pick 13- Chapman/Cox, Pick 20- Powell/Ford/O'Driscoll/Laurie.

I wonder if we keep pick 4, 24, whether we will pick up any mature age players with our 3rd rounders outside of Vic. It has been
a long time since we picked up stratton/Puopulo quality with late picks. If we keep pick 4, I wonder which of Hollands/DGB/Thilthorpe
we will pick. I think it will be DGB but who knows.

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

This kids just screams brown and gold - if he's still there at our selection, surely we'll pull the trigger?

I like the look of Hollands also but his injury scares me somewhat and I don't necessarily think he's a better player either.

Totally different attributes, personalities and skillsets.

It'll almost be a genuine relief once draft night is over, the suspense is killing me 😬

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This kids just screams brown and gold - if he's still there at our selection, surely we'll pull the trigger?

I like the look of Hollands also but his injury scares me somewhat and I don't necessarily think he's a better player either.

Totally different attributes, personalities and skillsets.

It'll almost be a genuine relief once draft night is over, the suspense is killing me 😬
Long way to go. Leaks will ramp up in about 2 weeks.

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even though we have no spine other than Frost, until we get hard but leaders back in the midfield we’re kidding ourselves. I’d start there and best year chase KPP’s and that’s not even thinking about where the Gibbo, Guerra, Rioli, Poppy types are gonna come from. Our list is worse than it was before Clarko came and we had all those top picks and nailed them. As I said given everything start with the Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis types because without them we’re nothing.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Even though we have no spine other than Frost, until we get hard but leaders back in the midfield we’re kidding ourselves. I’d start there and best year chase KPP’s and that’s not even thinking about where the Gibbo, Guerra, Rioli, Poppy types are gonna come from. Our list is worse than it was before Clarko came and we had all those top picks and nailed them. As I said given everything start with the Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis types because without them we’re nothing.
Trying to replicate what we had before is silly IMO. Trying to do so would be like finding a needle in a haystack. We just need to keep on adding quality piece by piece and eventually we’ll get there. All I’m saying is that the quality of our 3peat team might never be seen again but it’s important to remember that we wouldn’t have to be cloaked to being that good to beat the team that has won the last couple of flags.

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trying to replicate what we had before is silly IMO. Trying to do so would be like finding a needle in a haystack. We just need to keep on adding quality piece by piece and eventually we’ll get there. All I’m saying is that the quality of our 3peat team might never be seen again but it’s important to remember that we wouldn’t have to be cloaked to being that good to beat the team that has won the last couple of flags.
Yes but basic strengths of premiership teams need to be considered. Run off half back, kicking skills, defensive pressure etc. I mention names to make those points. To me we have far too many players in the side without an obvious strength to one of these core needs. It’s an old adage but Clarko went and drafted elite kickers and all those lefties. There is an old quote that says a strategy, even a bad one will beat no strategy. At the moment I don’t see strategy. Fire up Clarko.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remember Guerra was a DFA. Poppy a pick in the 60s.
Gibbo traded for a 2nd rounder.

Can happen quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back