Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The swing factor in these points trades will be list sizes and minimum picks (may not be 3). Clubs may not want to stockpile late picks for points if means they need to delist to make spots available. Also a number of clubs are stocked with more picks than us so will be some competition.

Re draft Logan McDonald sounds perfect for us (although haven’t seen him play). A big athletic CHF who can mark and score goals. Basically replace TOB and hope one of Lewis/Jeka/Patton can fill the deeper forward spot.
Add a pacy mid player with our 2nd pick, downie, and a Small forward and tall back prospect with whatever is left + get Williams as FA and we’re off.
Logan McDonald covers heaps of ground aswell as having a great set of hands and nice kick, also a good field kick. Can see him playing CHF as is so mobile. 196cm and already around 90kg

Yeah but this year is a lot different. There will be bargains galore, i would prefer an extra 1st round player.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
1 in 2 players Ickes in the top 2 go on to get AA. By the time you get to pick 6 it is almost 1 in 6. It’s a massive difference in likelihood.

I find the “best available” discussion pretty pointless. Of course recruiters take who they consider to be the best available player, it’s just that “best available” is completely subjective.

To some best available means the player with the highest upside, even if it comes with risk. To some best available means the safest bet to be a very good 200 game player. To some best available is based on ‘value’ as a player, which can have a positional element if the person deciding simply thinks certain positions are most valuable than others. To some best available depends more on character and leadership than raw talent. It’s completely subjective.

Personally I value leadership and impact/upside most highly. I’m not as big a fan of the safe, conservative options. But I’m not the one who loses his job if a riskier selection goes bust and for every Buddy or Dusty (the “upside” selections) there is a Hogan or Bennell who are supremely talented busts due to lack of professionalism . So I also understand those who are in the Sam Walsh / Andy McGrath safe choice camp.

On my very limited reading I like the sound of Hollands and McDonald (based on upside and impact). I haven’t read anything to suggest there is a rare leader type in the Hodge / Selwood mould (most valuable of all in a team sport IMO) in this pool
If we rate player A higher than player B and player A is a mid and player B is a kpf then take player A regardless of our need for a kpf.

Holland’s sounds great, but due to injury you know he comes with I feel like I’d be on the edge of my seat the moment we read out his name and every time he took the field from that point on.

He sounds very similar to Brodie Kemp in last years draft. Touted top 3 before he did his acl. Slipped to pick 17 in last years draft.

If Sydney finish above us on the ladder I'd be looking to make them bleed for Braeden Campbell (Academy Prospect that's rated in the top 10). Say we finish 16th and they finish 15th. Tell them we're looking to bid (causing them to lose their first pick) but we're also willing to let them trade up for our pick. When a player is rated that highly they're never passed on.

Something like Pick 3 + 2021 Second Round Selection --> (Sydney) Pick 4 + 2021 First Round Selection. Sydney get to select a player before Campbell. We downgrade one spot in the draft but get a first round pick next year.

If Sydney finish above us on the ladder I'd be looking to make them bleed for Braeden Campbell (Academy Prospect that's rated in the top 10). Say we finish 16th and they finish 15th. Tell them we're looking to bid (causing them to lose their first pick) but we're also willing to let them trade up for our pick. When a player is rated that highly they're never passed on.

Something like Pick 3 + 2021 Second Round Selection --> (Sydney) Pick 4 + 2021 First Round Selection. Sydney get to select a player before Campbell. We downgrade one spot in the draft but get a second first round pick next year.
North Melb and even crows will be all over this. Campbell is my pick 1 in this draft. I think he's the best of the lot. They better bid and keep Sydney honest

Something like Pick 3 + 2021 Second Round Selection --> (Sydney) Pick 4 + 2021 First Round Selection. Sydney get to select a player before Campbell. We downgrade one spot in the draft but get a first round pick next year.
Had the same thoughts, but if they have a second rounder this year I’d take that, so trade 3 for 4 and a second. Seems about fair. Would actually be pretty happy to get Campbell in the draft, beautiful skills, quick, can find the footy. Good around goals. Was best on with Holland’s in the under 17 all star game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had the same thoughts, but if they have a second rounder this year I’d take that, so trade 3 for 4 and a second. Seems about fair. Would actually be pretty happy to get Campbell in the draft, beautiful skills, quick, can find the footy. Good around goals. Was best on with Holland’s in the under 17 all star game.

They wouldn't trade a second rounder just to move up from 4th to 3rd though.

Sydney also have Goulden, a FP/M that is rated on the 15 - 30 range to consider.

They wouldn't trade a second rounder just to move up from 4th to 3rd though.

Sydney also have Goulden, a FP/M that is rated on the 15 - 30 range to consider.
If campbell was on the board I would argue a second isn't enough. I would demand a first rounder next year. If not bid on Campbell and cos them a free hit at another top 5 pick,

Hollands
McDonald
Campbell
Phillips

At this rate we should be getting one of these guys, should Adelaide take Tillthorpe with their first (which isn't a guarantee).

Obviously they all have their positives. IMO Hollands is exactly what we need though.

I'm happy with any elite talent we can bring in to go with Day.

Hollands
McDonald
Campbell
Phillips

At this rate we should be getting one of these guys, should Adelaide take Tillthorpe with their first (which isn't a guarantee).

Obviously they all have their positives. IMO Hollands is exactly what we need though.
I'm happy with any elite talent we can bring in to go with Day.
If we get Hollands to go with Day then there's plenty of scope for match day puns about Hollandaise sauce.

Doubt we will get McDonald, had another 15 touches, 6 marks, 3 goals in WAFL. Adelaide would be mad to take Thilphorpe over him. Could be another Pavlich/Mcgregor utensil up

Yeah he’s playing far too good now. Unless Adelaide REALLY rate Thilthorpe/Phillips he’ll go number 1. Wouldn’t be unhappy with Thilthorpe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back