Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We definitely need to look at getting another experienced ruckman.

I'm not a fan of Brandon Preuss either, so hopefully we can find a better option through free agency or by finding someone from another club who just needs an opportunity and trading a late draft pick to get them. Bit like how Carlton picked up Marc Pittonet of us, he is no superstar but damn I really wish he was still on our list.

We definitely need to look at getting another experienced ruckman.

I'm not a fan of Brandon Preuss either, so hopefully we can find a better option through free agency or by finding someone from another club who just needs an opportunity and trading a late draft pick to get them. Bit like how Carlton picked up Marc Pittonet of us, he is no superstar but damn I really wish he was still on our list.
Ceglar is a better ruckman than Pittonet

Ceglar is a better ruckman than Pittonet

That may be so. But you would expect that, given Cegs is almost 30.

Whereas Pitto is only 24 and showed signs this year that he could still be a solid #1 ruck.

We very much missed a trick in signing up Cegs to a long term deal and letting Pittonet go for peanuts after putting in 5 years of work to develop him.

Now there‘s a massive experience gap between McEvoy/Cegs and Reeves.

A ready-to-go ruckman must be one of our needs addressed this off-season.

Apologies, this really falls under the list management thread!

Last edited:

Last Paragraph bit of an overreaction , they were bound to experience that in the big league sooner or later mate.
I doubt you were at the game because Preuss not only aggressively played the man in contests he also struck players from behind and behind the play. Pathetic and certainly not what I’d previously observed when AFL/VFL sides played what was traditionelly a game played in a good spirit against an under 18 side. No overreaction!!!

Last edited:
We'll be using our first rounder on a classy ball user if McDonald isn't there, I would think.

That puts Hollands, Bruhn, Perkins all in the frame.

I dream of 3 top 20 picks, but reality is we will likely use 3 and trade in a couple with Downie and maybe a late pick, im already disappointed before it happens...

Maybe try and bundle those two picks in the 40s for a pick in the 20s?

Maybe try and bundle those two picks in the 40s for a pick in the 20s?
I'd like us to do something good like that, I was also hoping we would trade into the first or second round last year, but instead we traded out of it, for this draft which was forecast to be weaker months before last years draft, ive lost hope tbh... maybe they will surprise me with good decisions, that's the only hope I have left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep all the picks, this is the year that 2 x picks in 40s is better than 1 in the 20s, back our recruiters to pick a couple of Vic lads who were poised to break out this year but never had the chance to showcase it.
absolutely, with 25% discount on downie and offer probably to come after pick 30, use one of pick 40s on him. The only question is whether need pick 3, if someone willing to offer 2-3 picks in 15-25 (or as you put 5-6 players in 30-40) range and they are players we have in mind and are still there, then can think about. Anyway so many options, we cannot discount trading to players from other clubs if can strike rich like schrimshaw / impey type of deal. It all depends how quickly you want to rebound.

This is a rebuild. This year and next year we need to target some elite key position players. We’re not going to be playing finals for a few years. We can target some quality midfielders in 2022.
DGB at 4? Surely we take Phillips the mid before a key defender? We lack class in the middle. We're desperate for it.

Not one team that has done a complete rebuild has won a trophy in the new era. Not going to happen we wont do that
You say that like we have a choice mate. We are stuffed. Call it want you want, but we are rebuilding. This is the only year we can get some value out of those four blokes.

We're going to be on the bottom for a while now. I personally hope someone there has the foresight to see the reality of our situation.

We have been dying a slow death for the three years. Except now we’re in a position, where a decent / talented player wouldn’t choose to come onto a list that is slowly dying of old age. We don’t have enough talent on our list to keep going the way we are. We need as many kids as possible to start to rebuild.

This year and next year focus on key position players. Midfielders from then on.

We sould be trading the following players to get more picks. We should have started our re-build 3 years ago.
Luke Breust - End of first rounder for the right buyer - Carlon, Geelong ??
Jack Gunston - End of first rounder for the right buyer - Geelong, Essendon
Chad Wingard - First rounder for the right buyer - Carlton
Isaac Smith (Free Agent) Potentually package Wingard and Smith for Carltons first pick.

Considering what you would get for these guys at the trade table they have far more value to us just being quality individuals at the club.

You'd only consider letting any of these guys go if we were right down the ladder when they were RFA's, just because we missed that opportunity doesn't mean we should chase our tales and accept pick that will potentially add nothing to the current group

You say that like we have a choice mate. We are stuffed. Call it want you want, but we are rebuilding. This is the only year we can get some value out of those four blokes.

We're going to be on the bottom for a while now. I personally hope someone there has the foresight to see the reality of our situation.

We have been dying a slow death for the three years. Except now we’re in a position, where a decent / talented player wouldn’t choose to come onto a list that is slowly dying of old age. We don’t have enough talent on our list to keep going the way we are. We need as many kids as possible to start to rebuild.

This year and next year focus on key position players. Midfielders from then on.
hahaha nope I don't believe your doom and gloom

You think the draft will solve all our problems? Bullshit.
Number 1, its a fn lottery.
Number 2, we roll out a team of 19 year olds each week and we'll get spanked by 100 points each time. That will destroy the culture.

Like anything, it's a balance.

Time will tell but we're no guarantee to finish below the Swans on the ladder after the final round. We have a big incentive to send off Poppy and Stratts with a win (which will mean a rise in %); then the Swans face the Cats on the rebound, the former knowing the precise % equation.

Yeah nahh, you support one of the best run clubs in the AFL. Much like Collingwood, West Coast and Geelong we won't spend that long down, and when we bounce back it won't be from gutting the club for a few lottery tickets and magic beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back