Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time will tell but we're no guarantee to finish below the Swans on the ladder after the final round. We have a big incentive to send off Poppy and Stratts with a win (which will mean a rise in %); then the Swans face the Cats on the rebound, the former knowing the precise % equation.
really hoping we have a gritty single digit win here whilst Richmond put the Q in the rack in prep for finals.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Yeah nahh, you support one of the best run clubs in the AFL. Much like Collingwood, West Coast and Geelong we won't spend that long down, and when we bounce back it won't be from gutting the club for a few lottery tickets and magic beans.
Thats what i thought in '93 when things went to s**t, 15 years later.... I dont want that to happen again.

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
hahaha nope I don't believe your doom and gloom

I hope you and lots on this board are right, but also lots on board laughed at people that said this list was middle of the road at best and 9th wasn't a true indicator of where we were at in 2019.

Anyways it'll be very interesting to see who we end up with this year on draft night.

Thats what i thought in '93 when things went to sh*t, 15 years later.... I dont want that to happen again.
True. Different circumstances though.

We didn't adapt well to the draft and recruiting modernization. We don't really have those challenges right now, no guarantees in life but I'm still optimistic.

I hope you and lots on this board are right, but also lots on board laughed at people that said this list was middle of the road at best and 9th wasn't a true indicator of where we were at in 2019.
In fairness, when making these statements it was difficult to believe that we'd actually play McEvoy as a KPD & that we'd play such a ridiculous game plan, then stick to it regardless the results.

Anyways it'll be very interesting to see who we end up with this year on draft night.
We were a middle of the road side. I still think we are better than what the ladder suggests at the moment. We need players of this there is no doubt

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd like us to do something good like that, I was also hoping we would trade into the first or second round last year, but instead we traded out of it, for this draft which was forecast to be weaker months before last years draft, ive lost hope tbh... maybe they will surprise me with good decisions, that's the only hope I have left.
I think there could be some absolute gems in this draft, just think half way through the year of their draft years bontempelli wasn’t in the first round, Clayton Oliver wasn’t draftable, guys who showed nothing in their bottom age year become top 10 draft picks by the end of their top age year. Use our first two picks on bonafide talent that we know are good players, then have a couple of late pings at vic kids who have the scope to improve. If we’re lucky we could get a potential top 10 kid with picks in the 40+ range. I think this is a great opportunity and we’ve shown a knack at finding guys late in drafts who can develop into good players

We have no continuity in any section of the field. Teams with a rock solid 28 players who have played a few seasons together are performing the best this year.

Our list is in transition has been for 3 years. We were never going to excel with limited training and hub life.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
I think there could be some absolute gems in this draft, just think half way through the year of their draft years bontempelli wasn’t in the first round, Clayton Oliver wasn’t draftable, guys who showed nothing in their bottom age year become top 10 draft picks by the end of their top age year. Use our first two picks on bonafide talent that we know are good players, then have a couple of late pings at vic kids who have the scope to improve. If we’re lucky we could get a potential top 10 kid with picks in the 40+ range. I think this is a great opportunity and we’ve shown a knack at finding guys late in drafts who can develop into good players

Just as likely, probably more to go the other way. Some kids who would have been able to show their late development don't get drafted so the overall pool is weaker than normal. Decent chance you end up drafting a kid who would have gone later, rookied or undrafted with 3rd round picks. With the slight upside variance you describe.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just as likely, probably more to go the other way. Some kids who would have been able to show their late development don't get drafted so the overall pool is weaker than normal. Decent chance you end up drafting a kid who would have gone later, rookied or undrafted with 3rd round picks. With the slight upside variance you describe.
But that’s the gamble, you can still go safe with your 3rd rounder and pick a kid from a state that’s played footy all year or you go out on a limb and pick a vic kid and hope to hit the jackpot. It’s a slight chance but I still think there’s gonna be some absolute guns go later in this draft, just hope that we’ve done our homework and can land one. This whole situation also means that next years draft should be an absolute cracker as we’ll have those kids that missed their chance to show something this year get pushed back into the 2021 draft.

HawkInExile

Debutant
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know there is a lot of talk around who we should target with pick 3.

What if we were to get another first round pick from a trade. Lets say around pick 10.

Which player do you think we should target in the draft?

Just interested in hearing other peoples opinions on this.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

What if we were to get another first round pick from a trade. Lets say around pick 10.

Id like to pair McDonald and O’Driscoll.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Archie Perkins.

Id like to pair McDonald and O’Driscoll.
Interested to know why?

He doesn’t excite me at all and just looks like another average paced inside mid.

supposedly he's 190+ cm now, and has played all his junior footy with Mcdonald- the pair play very well together and are good mates.
So we’d take him because he’s taller and mates with a guy who will be playing at North? 😉

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My personal preference is to land one of McDonald or Hollands, though I think both will gone.

I also want us to try and get another top 10 pick. I think one of our established good players should be moved. If it requires pick 21 to be packaged in, so be it. Either way, a young midfielder and a young tall from two top 10 picks and then Downie would be a very good haul. Aim to get a mid-20s ruckman in a trade from another club and we have made a decent start to rebuilding the list (subject of course to getting those picks right!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back