Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with Dusty is that his first 5 years were nothing more than just ok. Where he's got this other level from is beyond me. It also means than maybe we should not be so hasty to throw out kids like Cousins and Morrison who are only 21, 22, 23 because you never known Where they might be at 26 with the right development

Dusty showed that he had a rare talent and was playing at a good level from very early on. Cousins and Morrison in particular have never ever shown that they have anywhere near as much at the same age as Dusty.

Similarly to Petracca and JDG (and Heeney too actually) - they have shown that amazing talent early on but didn't take the next step for a few years. In Heeney's case he hasn't been able to due to injury.

IMO you could maybe compare them to Guthrie, who was generally average until he has somehow become a quality AA level midfielder this year.

Last edited:
Really appreciate an awkward big lad (homie doesn't know what to do with his hands the whole time)- RT seems like a pretty good dude, and like an absolute giant!
Were we to end up with him I'd pray he can stay healthy

As a side, why haven't we replaced Damien Barratt with this kid??

Damo is a flog , deserves a hiding the disrespectful prick

Dusty showed that he had a rare talent and was playing at a good level from very early on. Cousins and Morrison in particular have never ever shown that they have anywhere near as much at the same age as Dusty.

Similarly to Petracca and JDG (and Heeney too actually).

IMO you could maybe compare them to Guthrie, who was generally average until he has somehow become a quality AA level midfielder this year.
Yeah dusty showed star potential, to cousins defence he never really got games where as Morrison has played a good 20-25 and showed pretty much nothing that suggests he’ll be a above average player let alone dusty level

4, 21, 41, 43, 59, 66, 77

Assuming Smith leaves as a free agent and Hartigan is signed, does that leave six more spots to fill on the senior list?

We have 29 players signed for next year, that includes both rookie lists.

The thing with Dusty is that his first 5 years were nothing more than just ok. Where he's got this other level from is beyond me. It also means than maybe we should not be so hasty to throw out kids like Cousins and Morrison who are only 21, 22, 23 because you never known Where they might be at 26 with the right development
Probably just a matter of maturity for Dusty. Seemed to be a bit of a loose unit for most of his early career, getting by on raw talent and genetics, but in the last few years appears to have settled down and is probably living a more elite lifestyle. He's now getting seemingly the best out of himself. I say "seemingly" because I think he could probably get better, which is a scary thought.

Phillips Holland’s both stars , Holland’s has the higher ceiling of a game changing player. As said happy with either but rather Holland’s if he is at our pick.

Assuming there is no pick 2 for Crouch. I see the draft panning our like something like this.
Adelaide McDonald
Bulldogs JUH
North Tilthorpe or Hollands
Sydney Tilthorpe or DGB
Sydney Campbell
Hawthorn either Hollands, DGB or Tilthorpe
I think the temptation will be really high to take a tall with our highest pick in 15 years, however if Hollands is there then he will be bloody hard to pass up.

This is true. Prior to winning the Brownlow, while not underwhelming, he didn't have a massive impact on games. There was very real criticism around him at the time.

In relation to the discussion with Martin you must not underplay the ability of Richmond to manage his personality.
Most clubs micro manage their players and things become somewhat robotic Martin has been allowed to be himself and the players have supported this action

I reckon Hardwick learned that from our approach with Buddy while he was here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Hardwick learned that from our approach with Buddy while he was here.
Plus Cotchin, with whom Dusty lived. The leadership of the club (from O'Neil, Gale, Balme, Hardwick, Cotchin) has been second to none in the competition over the last 5 years and undoubtedly a huge part of Dustin Martin becoming one of the greatest players of all time. Without proper leadership and guidance, he could very easily have gone astray. Put another way, if Martin was drafted by Melbourne at pick 1 or 2, he'd have likely gone the way of Jesse Hogan

Plus Cotchin, with whom Dusty lived. The leadership of the club (from O'Neil, Gale, Balme, Hardwick, Cotchin) has been second to none in the competition over the last 5 years and undoubtedly a huge part of Dustin Martin becoming one of the greatest players of all time. Without proper leadership and guidance, he could very easily have gone astray. Put another way, if Martin was drafted by Melbourne at pick 1 or 2, he'd have likely gone the way of Jesse Hogan
The leadership is a myth - Martin had the chopsticks incident and is a loose cannon off the field that they just turn a blind eye to it and cover it up well. Do you think that the 2 players caught at the strippers were the only two? Winning sandpapers over all the cracks.

Aren't Adelaide threatening to match?
Surely not?

They don't want him. He doesn't want to be there. Saints do want him & the compo at end of 1st is more than fair.

It would be diabolical for all if they matched & he stayed.

Aren't Adelaide threatening to match?
They're only threatening to match to see if they can snag band 1 compo. It seems the AFL by releasing that memo to the other day warning clubs not to expect top notch compensation for players leaving via free agency. I think Adelaide will be more than content getting an end of 1st round pick.

I actually hope Adelaide / Saints try to manipulate something and both end up losing their 1st rounders for tampering.

Maybe they are matsta1975 notes and that is their job but very good call if not.
Good call re sensitivity of information. I wonder how many of the draftees consented to club interview/talent scouting notes to be splashed across social media forums. Surely that's a breach of privacy. Poor form IMO

that's why I'm not averse to taking the risk on Hogan

Good call re sensitivity of information. I wonder how many of the draftees consented to club interview/talent scouting notes to be splashed across social media forums. Surely that's a breach of privacy. Poor form IMO

It's a bloke on Twitter posting these, so they're already on the internet.

You’re going to love the draft and trading board threads.

I'm sure the last thing a young draft hopeful wants is information that mostly highlights their strengths as a player being spread across social media creating hype about their recruitment from the footy fanbase.

"They were talking about how I'm a good user of the footy on both sides... Both. Sides. I feel so violated..."

Trust me, there are kids out there who would do anything for their names to be thrown around on social media by people raving about their talents. The fact that a heap of them haven't had the opportunity to play this year makes it more important than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back