Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we take a tall either Thil or Macca, I want the one with the biggest cajones!
Don't want a Tarzan that plays like Jane!
We need more C**ts in the side - excuse the french if any ladies reading.
Hard nuts & mongrels that's what wins you flags, just as much as talent!

Yeah Campbell is the guy we want, 100%

This is how I read it:

Trade Pick 4, 24 and a future 3rd for the Roos pick 2 & pick 39. Place a bid on Campbell.

If the Swans match this, we then trade pick 2 to the bombers for picks 6 & 8 and we then grab 2 of Perkins/Cox and Phillips who we have been doing a lot of work on in the last week. If this fails we just grab McDonald/DGB.

Although having said this, someone from the Roos forum did say there is some AFL rule saying we can't trade pick 24 back to them. I was not aware of this, can anyone else clarify this? AFL rules can be a bit of a grey area, because it feels like the AFL just picks and chooses when to apply it

Same, Campbell above everyone.

Much like Hollands he has supreme skills on both sides, but while the doesn't have the same frame as Hollands he is already a proven commodity as a midfielder (at junior level at least).

The more I think about it the more I wish we lost that GCS game (an honourable loss of course).

The media seems to think Adelaide will take one Thilthorpe or McDonald and the one they don't take will make it to us; with North and Swans set on Hollands and DGB. With the worst key forward stocks in the AFL, that is a great outcome for us.
Agree. You can't go past McDonald's performances this year but there's a LOT to like with Thilthorpe. He could project to be Brodie Grundy without the elite tap work but faster and with better marking. His ground level work is something McDonald hasn't shown as much (because he was too busy marking inside 50 and kicking goals).

Adelaide aren't considering taking him at 1 for the fun of it.

If we take a tall either Thil or Macca, I want the one with the biggest cajones!

That's Thilthorpe. Plenty of hits in the middle and cites Lynch as a model because of how he runs through packs to hurt defenders. Not that I've seen anything to indicate that the other talls are timid.

Thilthorpe is supposed to have a bit of aggro about him.

I actually don't mind this phantom although we'd probably take a small forward like Winder (if available) over another project tall with out last pick. He also seems fairly certain we're interested in Max Holmes. Twomey also mentioned we were interested although had him going to Melbourne at one of their firsts. Davo-27 any insight into Holmes?

Max Holmes played 1 game last year, he is a 400m hurdles and sprinter, he is a raw smokey that some clubs seem interested in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that concerns me about McDonald is I think it’s gonna be another Sam Grimley sort of situation. Grimley won the VFL goal kicking twice (?) but never really transitioned. What we need is a strong marking presence which I don’t see McDonald as, looks more like a lead up forward which I’m not that keen on using pick 4 on. I dunno, maybe I’ve just got my Hollands glasses still on.

It’ll be amazing if we snag Thilthorpe or McDonald at pick 4. The team with the number 1 pick are tossing up between the two and we look like getting one of them at pick 4. (Excluding JUH of course).

If nobody bids on Downie before our second pick it’ll be a sensational night.

It’s fun to dream up all kinds of scenarios but if the above happens... we have nailed it!!

The thing that concerns me about McDonald is I think it’s gonna be another Sam Grimley sort of situation. Grimley won the VFL goal kicking twice (?) but never really transitioned. What we need is a strong marking presence which I don’t see McDonald as, looks more like a lead up forward which I’m not that keen on using pick 4 on. I dunno, maybe I’ve just got my Hollands glasses still on.
Not really the same situation but just for context, McDonald has kicked more goals per game at wafl level than Kennedy and is younger than Kennedy was when Kennedy was kicking the goals. McDonald’s development this year is more noteworthy than his performances. Grimly was at the peak of his powers with no real scope for improvement at the time he was kicking goals.

Its not a bad way to look at it but if we do land mcdonald outside of juh most clubs would of had him ranked number 1 . Ive been critical of his athleticism but his footy smarts are elite so he makes up for it and let's not make out he is super slow he ran 20 m quicker then hollands.

I am happy with any of the top options we are a chance at but i think i am more keen on Thilthorpe than i am McDonald. TT has potential to be a unique player like we haven't really seen before in the AFL.

think one of the north posters described him as similar to Corey McKernan. Definitely haven’t seen a player like that in a while

think one of the north posters described him as similar to Corey McKernan. Definitely haven’t seen a player like that in a while
Corey before the missed Brownlow or after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back