Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep Alex lukic is another one, though they usually don’t get played in their preferred positions. Usually fitted in on forward or back flanks. That worked against will Phillips last year who is a pure mid and can’t really anywhere else, due to the metro midfield being stacked he didn’t get a chance until the last game.
Lukic spent some time on ball on Sunday and didn’t look to bad at it actually but of course looked better playing in the key posts later in the game.

Don’t discount going to practise matches which a few clubs and scouts neglected to do. At the very least you can get a look at players who play a lot of school football through the year.

Do you know if the NAB league combine results have been released?

The sanfl YouTube page put up some of the under 18’s trial matches. And a sanfl and reserves trial March which features Draft prospect Durdin. Unfortunately I can’t see the west Adelaide game or Glenelg games which would have featured thilthorpe and Edwards.

I’m unsure at who would have been running around in the under 18 trial matches as I can’t see team lists anywhere so haven’t checked them out yet but they’re there if anyone cares too.

Lions head recruiter, Steph Conole was on the Lions official podcast today, talking about this years draft.

As per usual, Steph was giving his best vague answers to some questions.

Steph comes on at 30:40.

Some things of note.

From vision from their U16 and U17 years, he has a list of about 30 players that might be in first round discussion.

The Lions recruiters have been doing work on historically, how much do their lists change from the top kids in their U16 year, to their draft year. So looking at risers and sliders between U16’s to U18’s.

Guessing they’re looking for patterns, and types that stay in the top tier.

Steph is against raising the draft age, especially for the top end players.

The top underage competitions might become U19 competitions, but the best U18’s will still be drafted.

All three Lions 2019 interstate draftees had all been out of school for 12 months when they were drafted last year as 18 year olds. Because they had early year birthdays, which is relevant for QLD and WA kids, as beginning of school age runs July to June.

The best position for kids to develop is on an AFL list, with full time coaching and development.

Then a little discussion about speculation regarding list sizes and how many rounds in the draft.

Also Steph mentioned he spoke to one boy on the weekend. So keeping in touch with some draft prospects in some form.

Last edited:
eDPS edited to include link if you have a spare 16 minutes.
i know clubs are still talking to kids on the sly but with a rule there to stop that from happening so no clubs get an advantage, as in the vic clubs, considering the number of vic boys that enter the draft is much higher than in sa, wa, qld, nsw, wouldnt it be silly of him to admit that in an interview??

i know clubs are still talking to kids on the sly but with a rule there to stop that from happening so no clubs get an advantage, as in the vic clubs, considering the number of vic boys that enter the draft is much higher than in sa, wa, qld, nsw, wouldnt it be silly of him to admit that in an interview??
As far as I’m aware, every teams, bar possibly Fremantle, recruiters are Melbourne based.

Feel free to listen to the podcast, I’m not his keeper to make excuses for draft tampering. And yeah, I figured that would be commented on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I’m aware, every teams, bar possibly Fremantle, recruiters are Melbourne based.

Feel free to listen to the podcast, I’m not his keeper to make excuses for draft tampering. And yeah, I figured that would be commented on.
Fremantle main recruiting base is in Melbourne they have one of the biggest recruiting departments in the afl.

eDPS, Davo-27 and TheSmythe, I should have asked this earlier.

Who are the Brisbane type players in this draft? You know, the Jarrod Berry or Deven Robertson types.
Sorry for the late-ish reply.
The players that, to me, scream Lions-type player in this years draft would be:
- Kaine Baldwin, u/16version at least, yet to see where he is at this year.
- Oliver Davis, tackles hard with intent, wins contested ball, drives it forward
- Sam Berry, for the same reason as Oliver Davis
- Connor Stone, can go bang and be creative but can then go missing for awhile but plenty to work with
- Eddie Ford, for the same reason as Connor Stone

Who in this draft do i think you really need,
- Riley Thilthorpe type - for your fwd line/ruck help
- Joel Jeffrey/Heath Chapman type, to help intercept and give drive off the back line, both could play half fwd too
- Sam Collins type, def/mid, intercept, runner, takes the game on, delivers well, plenty to work with

Sorry for the late-ish reply.
The players that, to me, scream Lions-type player in this years draft would be:
- Kaine Baldwin, u/16version at least, yet to see where he is at this year.
- Oliver Davis, tackles hard with intent, wins contested ball, drives it forward
- Sam Berry, for the same reason as Oliver Davis
- Connor Stone, can go bang and be creative but can then go missing for awhile but plenty to work with
- Eddie Ford, for the same reason as Connor Stone

Who in this draft do i think you really need,
- Riley Thilthorpe type - for your fwd line/ruck help
- Joel Jeffrey/Heath Chapman type, to help intercept and give drive off the back line, both could play half fwd too
- Sam Collins type, def/mid, intercept, runner, takes the game on, delivers well, plenty to work with
Thilthorpe would be perfect.

We need a ruck to replace Stef Martin, who can contribute around the ground.

A KPF similar to Jack Reiwoldt, who can clunk contested marks and kick straight.

Midfield, we have enough inside mid types. We don’t play stereotypical wingers, but rather inside outside mids who run both ways, understand team defence, good foot skills and decision making would be a bonus.

We don’t need anyone in defence, unless they’re a hybrid of Ash and Young from last years draft.

Thilthorpe would be perfect.

We need a ruck to replace Stef Martin, who can contribute around the ground.

A KPF similar to Jack Reiwoldt, who can clunk contested marks and kick straight.

Midfield, we have enough inside mid types. We don’t play stereotypical wingers, but rather inside outside mids who run both ways, understand team defence, good foot skills and decision making would be a bonus.
Sounds like you could use a three player trade from Richmond, Nankervis, Riewoldt, Caddy

Would anyone have a list, or know who has already finished school of this years draftees?

The Lions recruiting manager, Stephen Conole mentioned last week on the Lions podcast, that all three Lions 2019 draftees, Deven Robertson, Brock Smith and Jaxon Prior had finished school in 2018 and had already been working or studying for a year, before they were drafted as 18 year olds.

Would anyone have a list, or know who has already finished school of this years draftees?

The Lions recruiting manager, Stephen Conole mentioned last week on the Lions podcast, that all three Lions 2019 draftees, Deven Robertson, Brock Smith and Jaxon Prior had finished school in 2018 and had already been working or studying for a year, before they were drafted as 18 year olds.
Elijah Hollands had finished

Could Bailey Laurie be the Jack Higgins of this class?

Not the necessarily the same type of player, possibly performs well, but is underrated due to his size.

Not the necessarily the same type of player, possibly performs well, but is underrated due to his size.
Errol Gulden, Corey Durdin, even Taj Schofield to some degree, all going to cop it worse

Performed very well last year in a variety of roles so keen to see how he is used at the end of the year if we get a champs series going. A really good showing could see him rise similarly to how Oliver Florent did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back