Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

good point, but if Gold Coasts kids start popping off they wont have first pick and if they do happen to finish last, they might go something else for needs possibly?
The comp is so even now though. So they could improve and win 5 games and still finish last. That’s why I say hollands adds something different can play mid or be a pure fwd. Also wouldn’t be surprised if Adelaide try make something work to get pick 1 or 2 so they can get thilthorpe.

Last edited:
WA kids I like the look of so far:

Denver Grainger-Barras (Swan Districts/Kalamunda JFC) - 188cm intercepting defender
This kid is already a better intercept defender than Fischer McAsey, who went 6th two days ago. If he keeps progressing like he has over the last year, he'll be a top 5 pick. Go and watch the Vic Country/WA U18s game from this year and you'll see this kid read the ball and float across the packs to take some great grabs. Largely unheralded reason why WA managed to hang on and won the champs.

Nathan O'Driscoll (Perth/Northam Saints) - 183cm accumulator midfielder
Real Deven Robertson clone. Not convinced they're not actually the same person, both from the same town 100km NE of Perth. Tough as nails, loves to get his hands on the ball first, and whenever he can. Falls over his body when kicking and it's a real issue (worse than Robertson's), but if he can clean that up he'll be a big part of an AFL midfield in a couple of years.

Heath Chapman (West Perth/Joondalup-Kinross JFC) - 193cm intercepting defender
Very athletically gifted. Reads the play really well from the back half. Uses his size and pace to break tackles, and creates space for himself well. Looking forward to see what he can do this year. Reliable kicking skills.

Isiah Winder (Peel Thunder/Eaton Boomers) - 178cm inside-outside midfielder/lead-up forward/attacking half-back
Every person who watches junior footy has a favourite player, and this kid is mine. Has the cleanest hands you'll ever see in the contest, very unpredictable change of direction, rarely misses a target by hand or foot. Hasn't nailed down a position yet, but impacts the game the most when he's around the contest.

Ira Jetta (South Fremantle/Fremantle City JFC) - 173cm inside midfielder
When he's on, he's the best player on the field. When he's not on, he struggles to find the ball and have an impact. Needs a growth spurt otherwise he'll have to learn how to play as a small forward. Butchers the footy a lot, but is always looking to move the ball forward. There's a lot to work with.

Players I haven't seen enough of to make a judgement but have runs on the board: Zane Trew (Swan Districts, 184cm inside mid), Logan McDonald (Perth, 193cm key forward), Blake Morris (Subiaco, 188cm key defender)

Other players to keep an eye on: Adam Boules (East Perth, 173cm inside mid), Joel Western (Claremont/Freo NGA, 172cm speedy midfielder), Finn Gorringe (East Fremantle, 180cm outside mid), Brandon Walker (East Fremantle/Freo NGA, 179cm raw athletic defender/wingman), Jonathon Ietto (Peel Thunder, 169cm small forward)

Any info on the 2 Collingwood linked boys in McInnes and Presti Jr? McInnes seems to be tracking as a top 30 selection next year but I haven't seen anything written on Presti Jr so far.

Ira Jetta (South Fremantle/Fremantle City JFC) - 173cm inside midfielder
When he's on, he's the best player on the field. When he's not on, he struggles to find the ball and have an impact. Needs a growth spurt otherwise he'll have to learn how to play as a small forward. Butchers the footy a lot, but is always looking to move the ball forward. There's a lot to work with.
Relative of the AFL Jettas no doubt?

Expecting Will Phillips to dominate and lock in the #1 spot. Looked right at home amongst Rowell and Anderson in the Chargers midfield, and he's set to improve as he puts on some extra size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey named his 10 to watch next year:

Tanner Bruhn
Alex Davies ( will go in the rookie draft due to gc concessions)
Luke Edwards
Elijah Hollands
Denver Grangier-barass
Archie Perkins
Luke Edwards
Braeden Campbell
Will Phillips
Riiley thilthorpe
Jamarra Ugle-hagan

Last edited:
Twomey named his 10 to watch next year:

Tanner Bruhn
Alex Davies ( will go in the rookie draft due to gc concessions)
Luke Edwards
Elijah Hollands
Denver Grangier-barass
Archie Perkins
Luke Edwards
Braeden Campbell
Will Phillips
Riiley thilthorpe
Jamarra Ugle-hagan
Don’t have too many arguments with it, Reef McInnes could be another that pushes up

Of the phantoms has anyone created a formuka To see who was closest to the mark?
I had a spreadsheet for finding the winners of the Draft Tipping comp we ran on the board. Added all the phantom drafts that had been updated in the last week before the draft, and got the following:

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 3.47.27 pm.png

Full results:

I had a spreadsheet for finding the winners of the Draft Tipping comp we ran on the board. Added all the phantom drafts that had been updated in the last week before the draft, and got the following:

View attachment 787185

Full results:

Embarrassing strike record from me =(

Thought I’d do a small amount of pre-planning for my rankings and ended up spending the whole time just updating heights and weights in my excel and identifying vic players who will play school football aswell

Already have 85 players on the Excel sheet for next year so before I knew it the day is almost over with just getting all that sorted, had another watch of the all stars game again aswell with only a few other things catching my eye which was hardly worth the 2 hours haha

What’s the name of the SA key forward who did his knee this year? Is it true he could go top 10?

Thought I’d do a small amount of pre-planning for my rankings and ended up spending the whole time just updating heights and weights in my excel and identifying vic players who will play school football aswell

Already have 85 players on the Excel sheet for next year so before I knew it the day is almost over with just getting all that sorted, had another watch of the all stars game again aswell with only a few other things catching my eye which was hardly worth the 2 hours haha
Saw some good things earlier when there was a bit of heat in the game but the last 25-30 minutes was a yawn, with Team brown being way superior in talent.

I believe that’s Kaine Baldwin, was apparently set to even play senior football this year if not for injury if i recall.
That’s the one. If you have seen him play who does he remind you of? Is he physically developed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back