Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Oakleigh Roo

Debutant
Dec 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This draft keeps finding new ways to kick clubs who aren’t tied to NGA kids in the nuts. Just hoping Tanner Bruhn and Kaine Baldwin can return from injury this year and play a big role.

Baldwin is one of the best junior forwards I have ever watched live.

very disappointing. Played some ripping games for Murray last year and had a very good Champs. Is #1 on my rankings list.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Shattering news, but we've seen plenty of top talent still get drafted after a year off (Cooper Stephens, Mitch Georgiades and Flynn Perez come to mind immediately)

Will be great too see if he drops off of everyone's rankings now

Massive shame for Hollands. Watched his champs and the futures game last year and he's supremely talented. Reminded me of a bigger bodied Chad Wingard. I reckon he still goes top 10 in the draft, maybe even top 5, but I'm certainly no expert on the draft crop.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Would have been thrown into the middle at times as most 16s do in those champs.
Hey eDPS do you have a loose player comparison for Holland’s to a current player?

Lions might have one (Ports first rounder if they bomb) or two (our own if we bomb the season) picks in the 5 to 10 range.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Played predominantly half/ forward for Vic country last year but would’ve moved onball this year for murray/ country.

He could help the forwards with their games.

Also, can sit with coaches who can show him how to analyse each game so that he can pass said info to his teammates.

How far off is Thilthorpe? I also think with a big year Kaine Baldwin can catapult up the rankings.

I've got both inside my top 20. I hope both have big years. Thilthorpe could end up top 5 by end of the year

Posted by Oakleigh Roo on Pies Board about Reef McGinnis:

On Sunday night Oakleigh and Tassy played a practice match in a closed session at Oakleigh with some scouts in attendance. And the scout who I get information from was left gobsmacked from Reef McInnes’ performance. He had 27 and kicked 4 goals from the midfield and CHF. He thinks he’s a better prospect than Will Phillips and Macrae. And better than Noah Anderson last year. Thinks he’s a certainty to have a top 5 bid on him. He has also apparently grown to 193cms now in that Bont/Cripps mould. He said he was taking some big grabs

Sounds very Promising Start of the Year for Reef

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Are we going to see many U17’s in the Vic teams this year?

From all reports, last years U16’s we’re pretty good, while this years draft crop was talked down a bit last year.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Are we going to see many U17’s in the Vic teams this year?

From all reports, last years U16’s we’re pretty good, while this years draft crop was talked down a bit last year.

i would guess Rachelle (Vic C), Sonsie and Sinn (Vic M)will likely play with a bunch of others in contention, so yes, i think some underagers will get a couple more spots this year than usual imo, but like always the vast majority will be in their draft year as clubs want to see talent for this draft and whether they can handle the pressure of higher level footy/AFL scouts/media/being showcased on Foxtel/ect that comes with the champs games.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
i would guess Rachelle (Vic C), Sonsie and Sinn (Vic M)will likely play with a bunch of others in contention, so yes, i think some underagers will get a couple more spots this year than usual imo, but like always the vast majority will be in their draft year as clubs want to see talent for this draft and whether they can handle the pressure of higher level footy/AFL scouts/media/being showcased on Foxtel/ect that comes with the champs games.
Yep Alex lukic is another one, though they usually don’t get played in their preferred positions. Usually fitted in on forward or back flanks. That worked against will Phillips last year who is a pure mid and can’t really anywhere else, due to the metro midfield being stacked he didn’t get a chance until the last game.

Back