Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it fits in this discussion

Why has the APS comp got a return to play date but the nab League don’t even have a return to train date ?

Considering not all APS players are boarding students, seems a bit unfair for the normal nab player.

So to the naked eye the APS players will get 3 cracks at pushing there case to be drafted

1st- aps Football

2nd-nab League as it will probably start after aps football

3-nationals as there normally the chosen ones.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why has the APS comp got a return to play date but the nab League don’t even have a return to train date ?

Considering not all APS players are boarding students, seems a bit unfair for the normal nab player.

So to the naked eye the APS players will get 3 cracks at pushing there case to be drafted

1st- aps Football

$$$ Because it’s funded and run by the private schools. Using their own ovals, and own umpires, etc.

Plus the private schools would go ahead with their footy, even if the NAB League was playing at the same time.

I’m guessing the NAB League requires a fair bit more organisation and coordination

$$$ Because it’s funded and run by the private schools. Using their own ovals, and own umpires, etc.

Plus the private schools would go ahead with their footy, even if the NAB League was playing at the same time.

I’m guessing the NAB League requires a fair bit more organisation and coordination

Yes the private schools probably have the money and resources but surely the nab League should be a priority of the afl and yes the afl should have more money and more resources than private schools.

Yes they normally do play at the same time but it appears that they won’t this year.

The NAB would take more organising and coordination but as lm aware the NAB isn’t starting because of the social distancing laws, but the private school comp is still aloud to go ahead.

Im confused but money and power will always prevail

Last edited:

1st- aps Football

APS run privately can make their own decisions. Nab league run by AFL vic

APS run privately can make their own decisions. Nab league run by AFL vic

When you put it like that l can see how it’s possible and it would be a priority to the schools to play as allot of players are on scholarships for there ability on the field.

Thanks for the reply

The problem is not having the NAB League training at least. Playing games can happen later. Not even club footy is helping those kids that are not in a private school system. As they’ve only just restarted. In a limited capacity.

Then there are those kids that completed Yr12 last year and are at Uni.

Yes the APS and AGSV are run privately. But they still have to comply with current protocols. And having been part of those competitions. With the vast number of teachers, officials, parents and kids participating I can’t see how that can be done. And still keep everyone safe. Especially when local clubs are being told that they cant start just yet and can’t have spectators at their competitions.

Somethings not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st- aps Football

Does the new lockdown in certain Melbourne suburbs affect the College games, VFL or nab league preparations . Will any games be moved back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the new lockdown in certain Melbourne suburbs affect the College games, VFL or nab league preparations . Will any games be moved back
Victoria is getting out of hand, i can't see nab league starting in 8 weeks.

Victoria has numbers now that are equivalent to where they were in late March. This will push NAB league well into summer surely.

Just combine the drafts. Give the kids an actual chance to show their capabilities rather than just recruiting random kids who have maybe strung 4 or 5 good games together in 2019.

Victoria has numbers now that are equivalent to where they were in late March. This will push NAB league well into summer surely.

Just combine the drafts. Give the kids an actual chance to show their capabilities rather than just recruiting random kids who have maybe strung 4 or 5 good games together in 2019.

* no. So many many repercussions from doing that

you know no ones forcing anyone into the draft right? Like if jack ginnivan thinks he hasn’t had enough of a chance to push his case to be drafted he can choose to not enter it this year?
Why stop Phillips and thilthorpe from entering the afl this year to protect who? An afl recruiting team from making poor draft decisions?

why the hell is people’s solution to problems always have to be creating 12 new ones?

fu** no. So many many repercussions from doing that

you know no ones forcing anyone into the draft right? Like if jack ginnivan thinks he hasn’t had enough of a chance to push his case to be drafted he can choose to not enter it this year?
Why stop Phillips and thilthorpe from entering the afl this year to protect who? An afl recruiting team from making poor draft decisions?

why the hell is people’s solution to problems always have to be creating 12 new ones?
How is forcing clubs to recruit a draft class who have all played 5 weeks of footy in 18 months going to help anyone? How does it cause any problems at all to push the hiring process to occur after the interviews?

Clubs already have a very good idea on this years crop and who is available, it’s rare for many players outside the academy hubs to go early anyway in recent years and with potential list reductions there will be fewer picks anyway.
They say they do but they have to say that. Try to imagine for a minute a club recruitment manager coming out and sayingthey don't have enough information. Fans would be after blood.

Evidence is that plenty of draftees fail even with a full year of u18s to go off. Based on the previous years evidence Cam Taheny should have been a first round pick not pick 50+. Sam De Koning shouldn't have been anywhere near the first round. How many Gorringes push in and how many Tim Kellys push out?

Take away an actual season and despite what they say to the media, there's no way they have adequate information.

How is forcing clubs to recruit a draft class who have all played 5 weeks of footy in 18 months going to help anyone? How does it cause any problems at all to push the hiring process to occur after the interviews?

you think it doesn’t cause problems? Losing an entire draft year?

find a solution to past future pick trades

How and why do teams trade players when they don’t have picks to trade this year? Why would port trade wines? Or Sydney trade papley or any of the other similar situations?

free agency compo picks? Are they pushed back a year? If you’re a team with a rfa why are you letting them go to get a pick a year later? Do we have 2 drafts of compo picks stuffed into one draft? How do you prepare points and picks wise for that mess? Normal pick / point value calculations have gone out the window.

list structure.. 18 teams planned on this off-season either draft or player acquisition wise in terms of salary cap and roster needs. How do they fill holes? How does Richmond fill the rance sized gap in their roster?

Nga’s? F/s? Can’t draft them? Do we have double up group of nga’s fs’s next year? How do you prepare picks wise for that mess?

afl ready prospects can’t get into the afl?

overagers run around in juniors for another year? That’s an extra several hundred spots in the 22 either have to be created or get taken by overagers.

champs? How does a champs team doubled up work? Players already miss out as places are tight.. people in next years draft crop miss out on playing champs cause luke Edwards is there instead of the afl?

Where does draft order come from? This year? Next year? Combined? If you’re combining where does ports second rounder end up? Pick 80 after compo picks?

In this case your solution creates way more problems than it solves.

Last edited:
They say they do but they have to say that. Try to imagine for a minute a club recruitment manager coming out and sayingthey don't have enough information. Fans would be after blood.

Evidence is that plenty of draftees fail even with a full year of u18s to go off. Based on the previous years evidence Cam Taheny should have been a first round pick not pick 50+. Sam De Koning shouldn't have been anywhere near the first round. How many Gorringes push in and how many Tim Kellys push out?

Take away an actual season and despite what they say to the media, there's no way they have adequate information.
I mean same could go for picking players who have injuries in their draft year, did the likes of Port and Geelong have enough information to draft Georgiadis and Stephens with top 20 picks? It goes both ways, I’m confident we will be enough footy out for clubs to have a pretty good idea.

Are any of the nab league or vfl teams in the lockdown areas ?

Victoria is NOT getting out of hand.
Just localized hot spots of selfish idiots that thought they could go about life as normal, and were not among the spectrum of populace that initially submitted to testing.
Despite new cases of infections being labeled as such, they are in fact OLD cases of infection that had not previously been registered.
With the discovery of the latent case clusters, Victoria and Victorians are in fact safer than when the "numbers" were at their minimum.

The sky is not falling, and %99.9 of statistics are meaningless.

Victoria is NOT getting out of hand.
Just localized hot spots of selfish idiots that thought they could go about life as normal, and were not among the spectrum of populace that initially submitted to testing.
Despite new cases of infections being labeled as such, they are in fact OLD cases of infection that had not previously been registered.
With the discovery of the latent case clusters, Victoria and Victorians are in fact safer than when the "numbers" were at their minimum.

The sky is not falling, and %99.9 of statistics are meaningless.
Just a couple of inaccuracies there.

People didn’t “submit” to testing.

They had to meet certain criteria.

How can you differentiate between old and new cases?

Have the Vic government or health authorities published this? Mentioned it in public announcements?

If they were old cases, they would no longer have the virus. They would have the antibodies in their blood stream, but the throat and nasal test wouldn’t pick wouldn’t this up.

Nor are they “latent” cases. I believe you need to look the definition of that word up. They are very much active clusters.

Northern Knights and Calder Cannons would be the 2 teams affected by these outbreaks (most areas under lockdown are in the north/north west), hope they get this under control in the month long lockdown of these areas and we can go back to 0 cases detected each day like we were a few weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back