List Mgmt. 2020 Draft - JUH & Bedendo

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Second hand info only ... it has been suggested that isiah Winder, Phoenix Spicer and Maurice Rioli Jr would be available around there. I know nothing about them except that they all have great names (for different reasons). Rioli could be matched as a FS of course.
Phoenix Spicer is an absolute all timer of a name

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reckon due to the seasons being shut down
Dogs will look at pre-existing players they have already tested and look at their VFL stock for any rookie picks

Players like:
Craig Cooper-Peters
Lochie Dawson
Josh Kellett
Cody Henness
Anthony Scott

What's the story with CCP? Did he play much in 2020?

Presuming he gets picked up by Footscray?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we'll have a pick in the 40s/50s left over. Obviously it's a total crapshoot, but any key defenders / small forwards / outside mids touted to go somewhere around there that would be a good fit?

Phoenix Spicer.

Spicer, who hails from the Morphettville Park Junior Football Club and attended Henley High School to complete his Year 12 studies, not only possesses elite speed, but consistently puts it to good use either on the wing or up forward. He is rarely caught with ball in hand and utilises his incredible agility to elude tacklers. Spicer is a natural athlete who instinctively looks to run and carry whenever he sees a pocket of space ahead. Although he wasn’t able to test at the national combine, he would likely have recorded scintillating times in both the 20 metre sprint and agility tests. At the 2019 SANFL Under 18 preseason testing, Spicer completed the agility test in just 7.80 seconds, ranking first among all participants.

Another asset of Spicer’s is his one-touch cleanliness at ground level. He rarely fumbles when the ball hits the deck and his teammates evidently look to get it into his hands, knowing the damage he is capable of inflicting upon the opposition. Spicer may not have an abundance of size or strength, but that does not stop him from putting his head over the ball and cracking in hard whenever it’s his turn to go. Without the ball, he applies plenty of defensive pressure and tackles hard, showing he is more than just a flashy wingman.

What's the story with CCP? Did he play much in 2020?

Presuming he gets picked up by Footscray?
He joined Footscray at the end of last year and was expected to play around 8-13 games of VFL this year as a small forward.midfield rotation

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He can still be Cat B since his draft year was last year

NGA and F/S have a two year window i'm pretty sure

Can he make it to AFL standard? Or, is he destined to be a very good VFL footballer?

Given he shares the same role as a bunch of others, I'm just curious to know where he is likely to fall in the pecking order.

Can he make it to AFL standard? Or, is he destined to be a very good VFL footballer?

Given he shares the same role as a bunch of others, I'm just curious to know where he is likely to fall in the pecking order.
I think he can become a AFL standard player, someone that plays around 30-70 games in the right system

His NAB League midfield game footage, reminds me a lot of libba in terms of the ability to rack up contested possession and get the ball out straight away

Though him playing as a small forward, he did struggle but most of those games. Rebels were getting smacked on the board and up against better midfielders.

Since clubs love to rotated players through to showcase players pending for draft

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who's on the rookie list? how many can we have on the rookie list? If they dont get bid on can macpherson and raak both be on the rookie list

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Essendon bidding on McInness with one of their top 10 picks would be peak Dodo.
And I hope they do. Collingwood have been kissed on the d**k at draft time over the last handful of years. From their academy they will add Quaynor and now reef. From their FS have added two brown brothers and after next year two daicos brothers with the latter looking like a top 3 pick. Make them pay. If it wasn’t for their free hits at the draft they’ve been given they would be in a terrible position

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where we are picking at our second/third? Impossible to tell really. I'm hoping someone good slides down to our next pick after Marta like Garcia did last year.
I mean in general I can't see any that I look at and see there best position being a wing. More half forwards and mid/forwards

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I see Carroll and then crozier as the best options on the wing in this year's draft but I don't think either of them end up on a wing at all level.
Hawthorn have a quality one in their crop.

Connor Downie
Personally I see him more as a flanker then a wing but he should develope nicely for the hawks

We have definitely turned things around in the second decade of the century with nailing our first selections. The first decade of the century was very hit and miss.

2019 - Cody Weightman (Too early to call)
2018 - Bailey Smith - TICK
2017 - Aaron Naughton - TICK
2016 - Tim English - TICK
2015 - Josh Dunkley - TICK (round two)
2014 - Toby McLean - TICK (round two)
2013 - Marcus Bontempelli - TICK
2012 - Jack Macrae - TICK
2012 - Jake Stringer - TICK
2011 - Clay Smith - TICK
2010 - Mitch Wallis - TICK
2009 - Christian Howard - CROSS
2008 - Ayce Cordy - CROSS
2007 - Jarrad Grant - CROSS
2006 - Andreis Everitt - CROSS
2005 - Shaun Higgins - TICK
2004 - Ryan Griffen - TICK
2004 - Tom Williams - CROSS
2003 - Adam Cooney - TICK
2002 - Tim Walsh - CROSS
2001 - Sam Power - CROSS
2000 - Jordan McMahon - CROSS

Power, McMahon, Williams, Everitt, Grant all played a fair bit of footy, but I wouldn't call those successful selections.

Stringer and Smith were a key part of our 2016 premiership so they have to get ticks IMO. I can understand if people don't agree with those assessments but I'm happy to argue my case and produce some facts.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have definitely turned things around in the second decade of the century with nailing our first selections. The first decade of the century was very hit and miss.

2011 - Clay Smith - TICK
2002 - Tim Walsh - CROSS
2001 - Sam Power - CROSS

Power, McMahon, Williams, Everitt, Grant all played a fair bit of footy, but I wouldn't call those successful selections.

Stringer and Smith were a key part of our 2016 premiership so they have to get ticks IMO. I can understand if people don't agree with those assessments but I'm happy to argue my case and produce some facts.
Stringer was definitely a tick on talent and we deffinetly seen the best of his career in the red, white and blue.
Smith would've been a massive tick, unfortunately for him and the club no one could foresee his knee letting him down

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Four DFA's for you Mojorisin as well, good to keep the options open:

James Parsons 190/83
Mitch Riordan 187/80
Fraser Turner 186/81
Ryley Stoddart 185/82
Parsons I see as very similar to hannan averages nearly a goal a game.
Riordan I believe is more an inside mid
Can't say I've seen Turner play
Stoddard I see as very similar to richards, has alot of nice flashes and good speed but just doesn't touch it enough

2011 - Clay Smith - TICK
2002 - Tim Walsh - CROSS
2001 - Sam Power - CROSS

If Smith gets a tick then Williams should also. Both were injury riddled but had their good moments. Clay was fortunate to be up and about for our finals run, good timing more than anything. If you compare their whole careers, Williams probably produced more.
If those guys get a tick, then McMahon definitely should. Yes he had his weaknesses but still had quite a few good games over an almost 150 game career. Also if you're arguing premiership impact like for Clay then you can tie his worth to Macrae ;)

I agree with your main premise though, we are doing a lot better than previous for 1st rounders. I think this has happened across the league, we may be slightly ahead of the curve still.

If Smith gets a tick then Williams should also. Both were injury riddled but had their good moments. Clay was fortunate to be up and about for our finals run, good timing more than anything. If you compare their whole careers, Williams probably produced more.
If those guys get a tick, then McMahon definitely should. Yes he had his weaknesses but still had quite a few good games over an almost 150 game career. Also if you're arguing premiership impact like for Clay then you can tie his worth to Macrae ;)

I agree with your main premise though, we are doing a lot better than previous for 1st rounders. I think this has happened across the league, we may be slightly ahead of the curve still.
All fair points.

I'm hoping we are now starting to see a correlation with our draft success to our on field success. Yes, we have only played finals in four out of those ten years, but it would be unjust to count the first few seasons, given a large number of our players were drafted after Eade and Macca made way for Bevo. A fairer assessment would be that we have played finals in four of the past six seasons, with hopefully more success to come.

All fair points.

I'm hoping we are now starting to see a correlation with our draft success to our on field success. Yes, we have only played finals in four out of those ten years, but it would be unjust to count the first few seasons, given a large number of our players were drafted after Eade and Macca made way for Bevo. A fairer assessment would be that we have played finals in four of the past six seasons, with hopefully more success to come.
I agree and it's why I don't really understand some of the catastrophising on here about finishing 7th the last two years, like we are somehow missing our window or something. Looking at the list profile we're well on track to where we want to be going.

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

2011 - Clay Smith - TICK
2002 - Tim Walsh - CROSS
2001 - Sam Power - CROSS

Sam power was a huge tick in hindsight feel if he never played for the dogs probably never list managed the dogs go sam go dogs

I hope if we end up with just really late and rookie picks we just roll the dice on as many small forwards we think have a shot as we can. They're always such speculative picks anyway. Maybe take a key defender if there's any we actually like back there but otherwise just punt on some pint-sized goal sneak pressure freaks.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

Not sure I can agree with that.
Smith was a fair way ahead in my eyes.
But ———— ” beauty is in the eye of the beholder “

Back