List Mgmt. 2020 Draft - JUH & Bedendo

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope if we end up with just really late and rookie picks we just roll the dice on as many small forwards we think have a shot as we can. They're always such speculative picks anyway. Maybe take a key defender if there's any we actually like back there but otherwise just punt on some pint-sized goal sneak pressure freaks.
I hope by some miracle of nature that Corey Durdin drops to our pick after Marra.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nik Cox gives me Darcy Moore vibes. Wish we were in the frame to draft him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have definitely turned things around in the second decade of the century with nailing our first selections. The first decade of the century was very hit and miss.

2019 - Cody Weightman (Too early to call)
2018 - Bailey Smith - TICK
2017 - Aaron Naughton - TICK
2016 - Tim English - TICK
2015 - Josh Dunkley - TICK (round two)
2014 - Toby McLean - TICK (round two)
2013 - Marcus Bontempelli - TICK
2012 - Jack Macrae - TICK
2012 - Jake Stringer - TICK
2011 - Clay Smith - TICK
2010 - Mitch Wallis - TICK
2009 - Christian Howard - CROSS
2008 - Ayce Cordy - CROSS
2007 - Jarrad Grant - CROSS
2006 - Andreis Everitt - CROSS
2005 - Shaun Higgins - TICK
2004 - Ryan Griffen - TICK
2004 - Tom Williams - CROSS
2003 - Adam Cooney - TICK
2002 - Tim Walsh - CROSS
2001 - Sam Power - CROSS
2000 - Jordan McMahon - CROSS

Power, McMahon, Williams, Everitt, Grant all played a fair bit of footy, but I wouldn't call those successful selections.

Stringer and Smith were a key part of our 2016 premiership so they have to get ticks IMO. I can understand if people don't agree with those assessments but I'm happy to argue my case and produce some facts.
If you are listing Williams and Jack Macrae who weren't our first selections but were still first rounders then you also have to list Farren Ray (pick 4 2003) and Ed Richards (pick 16 2017) who were also first rounders. Both Ray and Richards are borderline IMO but Richards still has time to carve out a productive career. I'd probably call Ray a CROSS even though he played a lot of AFL games. It was not his fault that the draft pool was so poor that he was picked at 4.

Last edited:

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you are listing Williams and Jack Macrae who weren't our first selections but were still first rounders then you also have to list Farren Ray (pick 4 2003) and Ed Richards (pick 16 2017) who were also first rounders. Both Ray and Richards are borderline IMO but Richards still has time to carve out a productive career. I'd probably call Ray a CROSS even though he played a lot of AFL games. I was not his fault that the draft pool was so poor that he was picked at 4.

Technically Nathan Hrovat was a first rd pick. Until he was traded to North - cross for mine

Original post had Jordy McMahon as a cross. I though he was ok and at least as good for the Dogs (probably better ) than McLean and Smith. Plus old mate Jordy gave us the pick that got us Macrae via Callan Ward.

SYDNEY, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs who have been given a boost by a rule change on the eve of the NAB AFL Draft.

Clubs have been informed that a significant change has been applied to this year's bidding system in light of the reduction in list sizes and the trading of future picks last year.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks as they stand

Under normal AFL rules, clubs who are matching bids for northern Academy, Next Generation Academy and father-son players are only allowed to use draft points from the amount of picks that is equal to the number of their available list spots.

This has been to stop clubs from stockpiling late draft picks with the intention of only using them to pay for highly rated draftees, even if they had more picks at the draft than they had list spots available, which was an early loophole of the live bidding system.

But clubs will not be bound by that rule at next month's national draft after the League gave clearance for clubs to use points from draft picks even if they are not going to use the selections to draft players.

In essence it means that the Swans, who will be forced to match bids for Academy pair Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, could theoretically take six picks to the draft but only pick up three players, but use the remaining selections for points purposes.

Although a subtle tweak, it is an important change in a draft year that is so heavily filtered with players already tied to clubs via Academies and under father-son links.

It will also benefit the Western Bulldogs, who have grabbed a number of extra selections to be able to pay for a possible No.1 matched bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, as well as the Power, who hold six picks and have ties to NGA talent Lachie Jones and father-son Taj Schofield.

Where in previous years the Power would have only been able to use points from the picks commensurate to how many list spots the club had available, this year they could essentially grab their two linked players and use the rest of their draft hand to help cover the points cost.

The Magpies, with speedy tall midfielder Reef McInnes, and Hawthorn, with line-breaker Connor Downie, are other clubs with Academy ties who will be waiting to see where bids fall, while Fremantle (Joel Western, Brandon Walker), Brisbane (Blake Coleman, Carter Michael) and Essendon (Cody Brand, Josh Eyre) are others clubs who also have their eyes on Academy players.

The AFL will revert to its usual rule next year, having allowed the clubs a one-off change given some had prepared for matching bids by already trading out future selections during last year's exchange period.

It informed clubs last week that lists will be cut to a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players, inclusive of rookies (category A and B).

Brass Dog

Senior List
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yankees
I feel that given the picks we have accumulated, a likely bid for JUH outside of the top 2, and a late bid (if any) on Macpherson and Raak, we will likely end up taking a pick in the third or fourth round. I hope that we are targeting one of these guys with our first live pick.

My personal hope is that we nominate Rioli with pick 42 and Richmond don't match.
That way we can ruin the Richmond fans offseason along with Collingwood and Essendons. (Well as much as can be ruined when you have won the flag).

Anyone else got a small forward preference?
That'd be amazing, but I doubt Richmond wouldn't match at that point. Pick 42 (395 points - 197 point discount =198 point) will roughly equal pick 56 for Richmond.

Phoenix Spicer seems like he'd be a good fit, and he has an awesome name. Think of the headlines 'Phoenix Rising', 'Sugar and Spicer' etc.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
SYDNEY, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs who have been given a boost by a rule change on the eve of the NAB AFL Draft.

Clubs have been informed that a significant change has been applied to this year's bidding system in light of the reduction in list sizes and the trading of future picks last year.

Under normal AFL rules, clubs who are matching bids for northern Academy, Next Generation Academy and father-son players are only allowed to use draft points from the amount of picks that is equal to the number of their available list spots.

This has been to stop clubs from stockpiling late draft picks with the intention of only using them to pay for highly rated draftees, even if they had more picks at the draft than they had list spots available, which was an early loophole of the live bidding system.

But clubs will not be bound by that rule at next month's national draft after the League gave clearance for clubs to use points from draft picks even if they are not going to use the selections to draft players.

In essence it means that the Swans, who will be forced to match bids for Academy pair Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, could theoretically take six picks to the draft but only pick up three players, but use the remaining selections for points purposes.

Although a subtle tweak, it is an important change in a draft year that is so heavily filtered with players already tied to clubs via Academies and under father-son links.

It will also benefit the Western Bulldogs, who have grabbed a number of extra selections to be able to pay for a possible No.1 matched bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, as well as the Power, who hold six picks and have ties to NGA talent Lachie Jones and father-son Taj Schofield.

Where in previous years the Power would have only been able to use points from the picks commensurate to how many list spots the club had available, this year they could essentially grab their two linked players and use the rest of their draft hand to help cover the points cost.

The Magpies, with speedy tall midfielder Reef McInnes, and Hawthorn, with line-breaker Connor Downie, are other clubs with Academy ties who will be waiting to see where bids fall, while Fremantle (Joel Western, Brandon Walker), Brisbane (Blake Coleman, Carter Michael) and Essendon (Cody Brand, Josh Eyre) are others clubs who also have their eyes on Academy players.

The AFL will revert to its usual rule next year, having allowed the clubs a one-off change given some had prepared for matching bids by already trading out future selections during last year's exchange period.

It informed clubs last week that lists will be cut to a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players, inclusive of rookies (category A and B).

Awesome news, so we can really get creative now. Perhaps split 33 then, of a bid didn't come till 3 or later try to use 26 to trade back into next year's second round.

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Would love to see us go for Varagiannis from Oakleigh at the small forward spot, didn't play this year but he's a crafty goal sneak, similar to Fergus but quicker

If you are listing Williams and Jack Macrae who weren't our first selections but were still first rounders then you also have to list Farren Ray (pick 4 2003) and Ed Richards (pick 16 2017) who were also first rounders. Both Ray and Richards are borderline IMO but Richards still has time to carve out a productive career. I'd probably call Ray a CROSS even though he played a lot of AFL games. It was not his fault that the draft pool was so poor that he was picked at 4.
Calling him a cross is a bit harsh. He played the 10th most games from that draft class. One wasn't available as a F/S (Shaw), one was a mature ager PSD pick who was never going to be picked from other than a Perth team (Johnson). Only Cooney, Mundy and Stanton played more games than him in the top 30 picks. I'd say that's a tick for pick 4.

Calling him a cross is a bit harsh. He played the 10th most games from that draft class. One wasn't available as a F/S (Shaw), one was a mature ager PSD pick who was never going to be picked from other than a Perth team (Johnson). Only Cooney, Mundy and Stanton played more games than him in the top 30 picks. I'd say that's a tick for pick 4.
Yeah, I'll cop that. He did play 200+ games which is a decent career. He went much better at St Kilda.

At pick 4 I'd still say he was a CROSS for the Dogs though. 75 games and 2 Brownlow votes in 5 seasons is much less than you'd expect for a top 5 pick who is a midfielder. If he'd been drafted at pick 15-20 the expectations would be lower. As I said, it's not his fault that it was a crap year for draft talent after Cooney.

Interesting comparisons:
Griffen (3)
Grant J (5)
Bont (4)
Ray (4)
Stringer (5)
Macrae (6)
Williams (6)

Quite a mixed bag!

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Would it be possible to trade our pick 33 for a bunch of later pick points gain then live trade 26 to someone when jamarra bid comes in then live trade back in with someone else to say pick 30

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam power was a huge tick in hindsight feel if he never played for the dogs probably never list managed the dogs go sam go dogs
Please dont remind me about Christian Howard, pick 15 for a guy we could have got in the 2nd or 3rd round, an arrogant pick designed to send shockwaves through the other recruiting teams and stamp our drafting superiority

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's a lot of Jeremy Cameron in Jackson Callow. Mind you...is it just me or is he the spitting image of Matthew Lloyd?

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's a lot of Jeremy Cameron in Jackson Callow. Mind you...is it just me or is he the spitting image of Matthew Lloyd?
Think Callow will go in the 30s? I would go after mature prospect Highmore. Seem to be smart with getting his opponent under the ball.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we'll have a pick in the 40s/50s left over. Obviously it's a total crapshoot, but any key defenders / small forwards / outside mids touted to go somewhere around there that would be a good fit?
Jackson Callow & Kaine Baldwin Key Defenders who could slip that far. Cardillo medium forward who has some dash and brings tackle pressure. And there is Phoenix Spicer small forward with some tricks and could be around the mark.
That deep in the draft worth taking a flyer at a long shot not really losing much if it doesn't work out

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jackson Callow & Kaine Baldwin Key Defenders who could slip that far. Cardillo medium forward who has some dash and brings tackle pressure. And there is Phoenix Spicer small forward with some tricks and could be around the mark.
That deep in the draft worth taking a flyer at a long shot not really losing much if it doesn't work out
Callow I'd snap up in a heart beat if there. Baldwin I wouldn't touch, his injuries scare me away. Heaps of small pressure forwards late in the draft we should be targeting

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Callow I'd snap up in a heart beat if there. Baldwin I wouldn't touch, his injuries scare me away. Heaps of small pressure forwards late in the draft we should be targeting
Understand being put off Baldwin with the knees but I would for a pick late take a punt supposedly a top 10 without the knees.
He would understand strength and conditioning better after the rehab.
It would be a shot in the dark that could pay off and if it flops no biggie as mostly picks in that range don't make it. Risk it for the biscuit !!

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Understand being put off Baldwin with the knees but I would for a pick late take a punt supposedly a top 10 without the knees.
He would understand strength and conditioning better after the rehab.
It would be a shot in the dark that could pay off and if it flops no biggie as mostly picks in that range don't make it. Risk it for the biscuit !!
Personally I see plenty others at that stage who would be more worth the risk. Like spicer that you mentioned, callow if by mericle he drifts that late. Newchurch, durdin, cardillo, ginnivan etc

Back