List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Mega Thread - picks 35, 47, 57, 59, 73, 95

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched Jamal Ugle Hagan's highlights from the 2019 AFL all-stars futures match last night on youtube. Three things stood out:

1) Ugle Hagan is a freakish athlete who gets to and wins the ball prolifically all over the ground.

2) Ugle Hagan is a very ordinary kick. After demanding the footy from teammates, he regularly kicked straight to the opposition even when under no pressure. His setshot kicking for goal in that particular game was also Butcher-like poor.

3) Ugle Hagan's poor disposal by foot was sharply contrasted by one Taj Schofield, who featured in at least a couple of bits of play with him, where Taj's kicking was immaculate. Similarly, Taj's ball handling and kicking was exceptional in the youtube footage from his U18 game vs Glenelg (see below).

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan U17 futures match - YouTube

Taj Schofield - SANFL
You can definitely see his father in him his injuries might work in our favour.

I watched Jamal Ugle Hagan's highlights from the 2019 AFL all-stars futures match last night on youtube. Three things stood out:

1) Ugle Hagan is a freakish athlete who gets to and wins the ball prolifically all over the ground.

2) Ugle Hagan is a very ordinary kick. After demanding the footy from teammates, he regularly kicked straight to the opposition even when under no pressure. His setshot kicking for goal in that particular game was also Butcher-like poor.

3) Ugle Hagan's poor disposal by foot was sharply contrasted by one Taj Schofield, who featured in at least a couple of bits of play with him, where Taj's kicking was immaculate. Similarly, Taj's ball handling and kicking was exceptional in the youtube footage from his U18 game vs Glenelg (see below).

Taj Schofield - SANFL
I hope ugle hagan busts as it is an absolute farce the doggies have access to him. This was what broke the camels back tho and im glad its all over. What an absolute joke this whole NGA thing has been and its evident with us having access to Jones. Happy to exploit it as all the other clubs have but seriously NGA was about getting remote kids/kids in NRL dominated areas into the AFL and has now gifted clubs potential generational/top 10 picks.

I still can't escape the feeling we are going to get Borlase with one of our late picks.

We would be mad not to bid on him and see if the Crows match.

They already have Butts, Worrall, McAsey and add in Thilthorpe or McDonald.

They need mids not KPP.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just thinking on the Borlase situation.

By the time we match Jones we will only have picks at the very end of the draft.

If the Crows only want to use 4 picks and have already passed at 40 can they still match? Or are all of their picks post 40 forfeited when they pass?

And if it is late enough that the points value is zero, do they even need a pick to match?

P.s. they would still have list spots regardless, it just looks like they are planning on saving some for the pre season or mid-season drafts and hoping to get Borlase and Newchurch as Cat B, effectively getting 2 extra lost spots

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
So how much does Port value Borlase? Because the way I see it, if the Crows try to get him in the Rookie draft, there is a good chance we could cut their lunch and take him off them with a late pick that they are unable to match. It just depends if we see him as the best player at that point.

His last month or so was very good IMO, he became a bit of a bolter after looking pretty ordinary at the start of 2020.

Taj Schofield - SANFL
That's good. On both counts. Poor disposal by foot is the skill that generally gets least improvement from junior's to 50+ AFL games under the belt. Fitness, game plan, awareness etc. generally can do something with, with plenty of players considered to be lacking these as a junior becoming good to great at. Players who can't kick to being considered good kicks is a much rarer occurrence. Heck, we only need to look at Wines still is s**t by foot after years in the system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't escape the feeling we are going to get Borlase with one of our late picks.

We would be mad not to bid on him and see if the Crows match.

They already have Butts, Worrall, McAsey and add in Thilthorpe or McDonald.

They need mids not KPP.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Crows should be taking Hollands, he is the player they need! If the Bud Tilthorpe they are done!

Looking on those players at the end of their careers:

Gray 32 small forward
Boak 31 Medium forward/midfielder
Rockcliff 30 inside midfielder
Hartlett 29 medium defender
Dixon 29 key forward
Jonas 29 medium/key defender
Motlop 29 small forward

Jones & Schofield can replace Hartlett & Rockliff.

I would therefore look for a key defender, key forward and small forward as our 3 priorities either in the draft or as free agents (preferably under 25 to give us 5 years).

Just thinking on the Borlase situation.

By the time we match Jones we will only have picks at the very end of the draft.

If the Crows only want to use 4 picks and have already passed at 40 can they still match? Or are all of their picks post 40 forfeited when they pass?

And if it is late enough that the points value is zero, do they even need a pick to match?

P.s. they would still have list spots regardless, it just looks like they are planning on saving some for the pre season or mid-season drafts and hoping to get Borlase and Newchurch as Cat B, effectively getting 2 extra lost spots

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

If they pass at 40 or where ever then we bid 62, they can still match.

So how much does Port value Borlase? Because the way I see it, if the Crows try to get him in the Rookie draft, there is a good chance we could cut their lunch and take him off them with a late pick that they are unable to match. It just depends if we see him as the best player at that point.

His last month or so was very good IMO, he became a bit of a bolter after looking pretty ordinary at the start of 2020.

They look like taking Hinge as a DFA. A running 190cm defender. Maybe they wont take Borlase as they have enough of his size and type?

Looking on those players at the end of their careers:

Gray 32 small forward
Boak 31 Medium forward/midfielder
Rockcliff 30 inside midfielder
Hartlett 29 medium defender
Dixon 29 key forward
Jonas 29 medium/key defender
Motlop 29 small forward

Jones & Schofield can replace Hartlett & Rockliff.

I would therefore look for a key defender, key forward and small forward as our 3 priorities either in the draft or as free agents (preferably under 25 to give us 5 years).

I’d hope that Dylan Williams and Fantasia would cover the small forward problem.

Mead, Pasini and Bergman all need to be in this conversation also. Realistically they won't all be successes but off that list only Dixon has no emerging coverage, as neither Marshall or Georgiades will be a monster, stand and deliver key forward or even a hybrid of size.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mead, Pasini and Bergman all need to be in this conversation also. Realistically they won't all be successes but off that list only Dixon has no emerging coverage, as neither Marshall or Georgiades will be a monster, stand and deliver key forward or even a hybrid of size.

Hayes is a possibility to fill the Dixon void, though given what Ollie said about his ruck craft that would seem a massive waste

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

While i agree that both our young rucks are a chance to be a kpf monster, i think they are lower probabilities, compared to the above discussion on other positions, so we need to be more actively considering the future outside our current list for this position.

It’s all well and good to say we should draft and develop a key forward.

Our first pick may be as late as in the 50s. Which current AFL KPF has been picked this late? Rucks and KPDs can be found late, KPFs can’t. It’s why McKernan is still getting contracts despite his sole attribute of height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back