List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Mega Thread - picks 35, 47, 57, 59, 73, 95

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably on the wrong thread, but...……...

Port trialled 22-year-old Brad Ficken, who played American college basketball in Miami, Florida and also spent time in footy as a junior at Willunga, and trained in the second half of last season with the Club in pursuit of category 'B' rookie spot.

Ficken has now signed with Centrals.

Maybe Port want to see him perform at State league level (hopefully very well) before committing to sign him as a Cat 'B' rookie?

I don't believe we can draft him as a Cat B now that he is registered with a football league. That ship has probably sailed.

News to Norwood, they think he signed with them ;)

Last edited:
I don't believe we can draft him as a Cat B now that he is registered with a football league. That ship has probably sailed.

News to Norwood, they think he signed with them ;)

On non Cat 'B' eligibility. Good point. Well made!

And regarding signing with the Legs - my bad. Saw an article posted by a Centrals dude and just skimmed through it. Missed the obvious sentence.

1580595382501.png

Thought this would be a good place to put a 2024 team...

Ff: Williams Georgiades Ladhams
Hf: Bergman Marshall Butters
C: Amon SPP Duursma
Hb: Burton - CHB (Grundy)- Bonner
Fb: DBJ Clurey Garner

R: Hayes, Houston, Rozee

Int: Mead, Burgoyne, Atley

So - Need another key defender next draft

The obvious signs this looms as the most compromised draft ever came on AFL Grand Final day in 2019, which was also when the All-Stars Under 17 match was held.
In the original squads selected, 17 of the 48 players picked were already linked to an AFL club, either as father-son, next-generation academy (NGA) or northern academy prospects.
AFL clubs are currently entitled to a 20 per cent discount on their linked prospects when they match live bids on draft night. An AFL review in 2019 supported that figure.
However, draft sources at club land suggest there’s a growing dissatisfaction at the method, which is seeing the very best multicultural and indigenous players being tied to clubs, despite playing football for a decade.

Upon returning to their offices after summer months out of the AFL bubble, there’s been plenty of conversations among recruiters on how best to attack the year.

The obvious signs this looms as the most compromised draft ever came on AFL Grand Final day in 2019, which was also when the All-Stars Under 17 match was held.
In the original squads selected, 17 of the 48 players picked were already linked to an AFL club, either as father-son, next-generation academy (NGA) or northern academy prospects.
AFL clubs are currently entitled to a 20 per cent discount on their linked prospects when they match live bids on draft night. An AFL review in 2019 supported that figure.
However, draft sources at club land suggest there’s a growing dissatisfaction at the method, which is seeing the very best multicultural and indigenous players being tied to clubs, despite playing football for a decade.

Upon returning to their offices after summer months out of the AFL bubble, there’s been plenty of conversations among recruiters on how best to attack the year.

The potential #1 draft pick this year is currently linked to the Bulldogs because his parents were not born here. He’s from Warrnambool, so in their zone. He’s played footy his entire life.

Bulldogs could finish in the top 4 this year and get the #1 pick.

It’s an absolute joke and needs to be removed immediately. There is a lot of angry clubs right now.

The potential #1 draft pick this year is currently linked to the Bulldogs because his parents were not born here. He’s from Warrnambool, so in their zone. He’s played footy his entire life.

Bulldogs could finish in the top 4 this year and get the #1 pick.

It’s an absolute joke and needs to be removed immediately. There is a lot of angry clubs right now.
If WB win the flag this year and get the 20% discount

Pick 1 will cost them 2400 points,

If they have Pick 18, 36, 54, 72 etc. Putting all of them together will give them 1725 points and require them to subtract a remaining 625 points from their first pick the next year. If it is 10 it becomes pick 24, if it is once again 18 it becomes pick 44.

Club tied players in 2020 draft

Luke Edwards (Adelaide) – Father/Son

James Borlase (Adelaide) – Next-Generation Academy

Tariek Newchurch (Adelaide) — Next-Generation Academy

Blake Coleman (Brisbane Lions) – Northern Academy

Saxon Crozier (Brisbane Lions) – Northern Academy

Carter Michael (Brisbane Lions) – Northern Academy

Reef McInnes (Collingwood) – Next-Generation Academy

Cody Brand (Essendon) – Next-Generation Academy

Josh Eye (Essendon) — Next-Generation Academy

Joel Western (Fremantle) – Next-Generation Academy

Brandon Walker (Fremantle) – Next-Generation Academy

Alex Davies (Gold Coast Suns) – Northern Academy

Joel Jeffrey (Gold Coast Suns) – Linked to the club via NT

Brodie Lake (Gold Coast Suns) – Linked to the club via NT

Joshua Green (GWS Giants) – Next-Generation Academy

Connor Downie (Hawthorn) – Next-Generation Academy

Kobi George (Melbourne) – Next-Generation Academy

Deakyn Smith (Melbourne) – Next-Generation Academy

Taj Schofield (Port Adelaide) – Father/Son

Lachlan Jones (Port Adelaide) – Next-Generation Academy

Ethan Baxter (Richmond) – Next-Generation Academy

Braeden Campbell (Sydney Swans) – Northern Academy

Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans) – Northern Academy

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs) – Next-Generation Academy

Cody Raak (Western Bulldogs) – Next-Generation Academy

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/4e6d785fed195ca0645d67229e8446c3

Club tied players in 2020 draft

Luke Edwards (Adelaide) – Father/Son

James Borlase (Adelaide) – Next-Generation Academy

Tariek Newchurch (Adelaide) — Next-Generation Academy

Blake Coleman (Brisbane Lions) – Northern Academy

Saxon Crozier (Brisbane Lions) – Northern Academy

Carter Michael (Brisbane Lions) – Northern Academy

Reef McInnes (Collingwood) – Next-Generation Academy

Cody Brand (Essendon) – Next-Generation Academy

Josh Eye (Essendon) — Next-Generation Academy

Joel Western (Fremantle) – Next-Generation Academy

Brandon Walker (Fremantle) – Next-Generation Academy

Alex Davies (Gold Coast Suns) – Northern Academy

Joel Jeffrey (Gold Coast Suns) – Linked to the club via NT

Brodie Lake (Gold Coast Suns) – Linked to the club via NT

Joshua Green (GWS Giants) – Next-Generation Academy

Connor Downie (Hawthorn) – Next-Generation Academy

Kobi George (Melbourne) – Next-Generation Academy

Deakyn Smith (Melbourne) – Next-Generation Academy

Taj Schofield (Port Adelaide) – Father/Son

Lachlan Jones (Port Adelaide) – Next-Generation Academy

Ethan Baxter (Richmond) – Next-Generation Academy

Braeden Campbell (Sydney Swans) – Northern Academy

Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans) – Northern Academy

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs) – Next-Generation Academy

Cody Raak (Western Bulldogs) – Next-Generation Academy

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/4e6d785fed195ca0645d67229e8446c3
At worst it is the third most compromised draft ever. The GCS and GWS entry drafts were far more compromised at the top end.

I spruik the Lystics AFL podcast a bit here, but they did an episode on this last year. Based on their ratings at this early stage (fallible of course), the first round ended at pick 23.

Last year it ended at 21. The year before it ended at 22. The first round is only slightly more compromised than usual. There are going to be more bids in the 2nd and 3rd round than usual though.

This might be a stupid question, but why do we have NGA access to Lachlan Jones?

To qualify for a Next Generation Academy, am I right in thinking that a player either needs to:
a) have been born in Africa/Asia or
b) have a parent who was born in Africa/Asia or
c) be an Indigenous Australian or
d) have been born in a non-English speaking country outside of Africa/Asia or
e) have both parents born in a non-English speaking country outside of Africa/Asia?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might be a stupid question, but why do we have NGA access to Lachlan Jones?

To qualify for a Next Generation Academy, am I right in thinking that a player either needs to:
a) have been born in Africa/Asia or
b) have a parent who was born in Africa/Asia or
c) be an Indigenous Australian
d) have been born in a non-English speaking country outside of Africa/Asia or
e) have both parents born in a non-English speaking country outside of Africa/Asia?

c) be an Indigenous Australian - SA and WA clubs have to recruit players from allocated country zones.
In SA - Port is aligned with Woodville West Torrens (Jones club) South, Norwood and West.

If Jones is indigenous then he may live close to the country/metro border of WWT zones as they are joined.
(South Adelaide country/metro boundaries like WWT and joined, Norwood and West have seperate country and metro zones.)

So he could live in Mallala or Two Wells if that is defined as part of WWT's country zone and not metro zone. Once you move a country indigenous kid into a metro zone, then you can't NGA them in SA or WA. See SANFL map linked for all zones. In graphic below Green = WWT zones, Blue = Central zones and Red = North metro zone.

1582185891667.png

c) be an Indigenous Australian - SA and WA clubs have to recruit players from allocated country zones.
In SA - Port is aligned with Woodville West Torrens (Jones club) South, Norwood and West.

If Jones is indigenous then he may live close to the country/metro border of WWT zones as they are joined.
(South Adelaide country/metro boundaries like WWT and joined, Norwood and West have seperate country and metro zones.)

So he could live in Mallala or Two Wells if that is defined as part of WWT's country zone and not metro zone. Once you move a country indigenous kid into a metro zone, then you can't NGA them in SA or WA. See SANFL map linked for all zones. In graphic below Green = WWT zones, Blue = Central zones and Red = North metro zone.

View attachment 826197
Interesting - thanks.

His junior club is listed as Bute/Paskeville, and I believe he goes to school at Immanuel.

Interesting - thanks.

His junior club is listed as Bute/Paskeville, and I believe he goes to school at Immanuel.
If he is boarding and has a scholarship, then that might not be considered a move to a metro zone for NGA purposes.

The AFL has gotten behind kids from NT, Kimberley etc being sent to Victoria on school scholarships for high school, so even though the metro v country zones distinction for WA and SA clubs is just a numbers game thing, given Victoria has a lot less boys 0-19 years old, to spread out over 10 clubs, they probably have recognised it goes against what governments NGO's and catholic and private schools are trying to do re indigenous education, so they let those boys still be counted as from their country zones for SA and WA.

Interesting - thanks.

This is more for reference, but when Mike Hugo wrote an article in the Football Almanac in 2016 about his uncle Prof Graham Hugo - who was a Port man - and a pre-eminent scholar in international migration, demographic trends, and population geography and mobility - he put up the metro and country zone map his uncle helped form in 2014 which was his last job with the SANFL Boundaries Commission after Port zones were distributed to other clubs. If the metro one is accurate the WWT metro zone ends just north of Two wells.

Graeme was a life-long Port Adelaide supporter, and somewhat ironically, the redistribution of the Magpies recruitment zones was his final contribution to the Boundaries Commission. In his more than 15 years of service, Graeme brought with him all of his expertise as a demographer combined with a significant knowledge of and interest in the competition. He was able to bring another layer of sophistication and integrity to the process by utilising the University’s academic and technical expertise to make the boundaries process more efficient and accurate. Although he was a passionate Port Adelaide supporter, he approached this work like anything else he did – without bias and with a sense of fairness.

At the time of Graeme’s passing this fitting tribute was published in The Age, and I though this excerpt was particularly appropriate:

Ironically, for such a peripatetic, ardent student and writer in migration studies, Graeme remained, for all his life, a loyal Adelaide resident. This continuity was said to be due partly to his deep, even in some eyes “tragic” commitment to the Port Adelaide AFL team.

1582255598080.png

Will Phillips is the kid I want from this draft. I wouldn’t have thought that possible but if we get a good pick for Wines maybe. I mean I suspect Phillips is now the favourite for pick 1, but players could move between now and the draft. Phillips is just a perfect midfield fit next to rozee Houston and our kids. An inside mid who spreads hard.

Unfortunately it has been confirmed that Hollands ruptured his left ACL yesterday. A shame for him, and clubs and watchers who were looking forward to him playing this year (especially as a non-Academy player) but his performances as a bottom-ager will hold him in good stead.
— Callum Twomey (@CalTwomey) February 26, 2020

Macca19

sanfl starting soon. Who are the kids to watch locally?

I know we will be taking an interest in taj Schofield and Lachlan Jones at wwt.

Corey durdin at centrals will possibly get games at league level. As a 173cm forward though meh.

thilthorpe as a top prospect at westies. sinderberry at westies as well isn’t he? What kind of player is he?

Zac Dumesny 186cm hbf at south Adelaide. Is he a genuine mid in the future or a half back? Does he play loose and intercept or capable of locking down physically. Looks a decent size from what I’ve seen.

kaine Baldwin as a 192cm kpp. I can’t remember where he is? reckon he has more growth in him?

thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Anyone else we can watch out for?

I’m really keen on tall defenders or general defenders and contested midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back