Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
If Sydney do a pick 3# and their 2021 r1 for our #1 and 2021 r2 (plus other picks to make this acceptable), then they will be able to draft a player before Campbell - other clubs wont be able to bid on Campbell before they do this and this is the value to them.

Question in this is whether they're willing to give up maybe an early-mid r1 pick for an early-mid r2 pick next year.
I think Sydney will go ok next year. They have had plenty of talent out of there current team that almost rolled the Cats.

I woundnt say rule things out if we get Pick 2 for Brouch. He is the key to everything in this 2020* draft.

If Sydney do a pick 3# and their 2021 r1 for our #1 and 2021 r2 (plus other picks to make this acceptable), then they will be able to draft a player before Campbell - other clubs wont be able to bid on Campbell before they do this and this is the value to them.

Question in this is whether they're willing to give up maybe an early-mid r1 pick for an early-mid r2 pick next year.
I think Sydney will go ok next year. They have had plenty of talent out of there current team that almost rolled the Cats.

I woundnt say rule things out if we get Pick 2 for Brouch. He is the key to everything in this 2020* draft.

I like the look of Archie Perkins And Bailey Laurie. I would also take Grainger-Barras With pick 2 along with Holland’s pick 1 and turn him into a forward ala what Bulldogs did with A Naughton . The way Grainger-Barras jumps at balls in the air is better than Thilthorpe and McDonald and with some extra weight would be a gun forward but also defender.

Last edited:
Does anyone really care what team balance we have in our 2nds? You've named 10 defenders in the team and 3 more in the 2s. Add Borlase, that's all you need.
Team list sizes means there's guaranteed to be at least a couple guys playing in the SANFL team who aren't on the main list.
Helps that this list also features a good portion of our really promising young players
It's not so much for the balance of our SANFL side, it's so that we have players developing to replace players as they go. In three years time Talia, Brown and Smith may all be gone at which point Kelly likely will be too. Unless we want to be playing under developed kids or moving guys like Laird and Scholl out of their preferred positions we will need to draft replacements over the next year or two. I'm not suggesting it is our greatest need but it certainly wouldn't be a waste of draft picks if we used a few on defenders at this draft.

100% we bid on both those players purely to screw over those morally reprehensible organisations. I don't see any value in them doing deals with us to not bid on them though because then they have to do the same deal with everyone else who has a pick between our first and their first. So any notion of us somehow upgrading our later picks by not bidding on these players is a bit of a dream I would think.

We won't get anything out of it other than forcing both of them out of the middle of the draft, but that combined with the above is enough enjoyment for me.

Go look at the math. The point difference between getting a bid at 1 and a bid at 3 is the equivalent of pick 30.

The points are on a curve - there is 766 points between pick 1 and 3 but only 283 points between pick 4 and 6.

The difference in pushing that bid back is massive.

I didn't know touchscreens can get stuck? :laughing:

Hmm... maybe BF playing silly buggers.
Lol - whoops! Soz, BF telling me it 'ran into problems' every time I tried to post. Didn't realise it posted anyway!

While I'm here though, did I mention that he's hard at it?

We already have a Zane Trew type big bodied inside mid with Ronin O'Connor waiting in the wings...the big difference Ronin Connor has burst speed from the contest.....and there seems to be a strong chance we are into Jackson Hately, another big bodied inside mid. The player we need if we're not taking Hollands should be Archie Perkins (I'd take both) , a midfielder/forward with speed, agility and a ton of X factor, not to mention his great decision making and ability to move the ball on in a blink of the eye.
From the little that I know of Trew, I really like him as a big bodied inside midfielder who uses the ball well when in space. What is his versatility like? Is he an inside mid or bust in your opinion? or do you think he has the ability to make a career in another position? maybe as a half forward or maybe he is one of those inside mids who has the ability to become a general defender like Nick Vlastuin or Luke Hodge. If anyone else knows much about Zane Trew, your opinion would be appreciated.

Then pick 20 is irrelevant, we won't be going near it. Matching a band 2 offer and rolling to the trade table isn't particularly lateral thinking. Blindingly obvious I'd say.
Especially when we have pick 1 at the PSD.

BUT and this is the big one, if he nominates geelong and they won't offer up what we want for trade, B Crouch could hit the main draft - not the PSD and Geelong might be prepared to use one of their teens picks on him. Would we use the GWS pick on him? because that would be the obvious counter from geelong..lose a single teens pick rather than multiple picks we would want

Geelong are the team we DON'T want him to nominate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I agree with you that midfield and forward are our greatest needs, particularly when it comes to the best 22, I wouldn't be disappointed with drafting a defender or two. It's a tricky position we are in because we have a strong (and for the most part young) best 8 or 9 defenders but our depth beyond that is quite thin. Going into 2021 we are potentially losing all of Gibbs, Mackay, Hartigan, Taylor, Laird and Scholl from our backline and maybe Milera if he moves up the ground to accommodate the likes Hamill and McPherson in the 22.

If Brown, Talia, Doedee, Smith, McAsey, Hamill, McPherson, Laird, Milera and Scholl are all in the best 22, our SANFL back 7 will look something like this:

Kelly, Butts, ?
?, Worrell, ?, ?

Edwards, may fill one of those positions if that is what Hamish sees him as and Borlase another if drafted. I think at a minimum we need to draft those two.
i expect we will take borlase but not newchurch (hasn’t shown enough this year). edwards probably won’t even select adelaide for FS

From the little that I know of Trew, I really like him as a big bodied inside midfielder who uses the ball well when in space. What is his versatility like? Is he an inside mid or bust in your opinion? or do you think he has the ability to make a career in another position? maybe as a half forward or maybe he is one of those inside mids who has the ability to become a general defender like Nick Vlastuin or Luke Hodge. If anyone else knows much about Zane Trew, your opinion would be appreciated.
i think bassett more likely to be at crows than zane trew

This is the guy I’d be taking as a second pick. Just the way he takes his marks I can see him becoming like Aaron Naughton at the Bulldogs whom was a defender in his draft year and the bullies turned him into a forward . The way he flies for marks is better than Thilthorpe and McDonald this why I see him as a forward prospect also. The King at Gold Coast was a defender in his draft year and Gold Coast have turned him into a forward like his brother at the Saints.

Then pick 20 is irrelevant, we won't be going near it. Matching a band 2 offer and rolling to the trade table isn't particularly lateral thinking. Blindingly obvious I'd say.
I agree, we don't want pick 20 at all, and have provisions in place to make sure that's the worst possible case scenario. Fairly sure I said that already.

Yet Hollands is currently recovering from an ACL.. is being talked about around here as some sort of elite midfielder when he’s a forward/mid and actually hasnt proven he is a fulltime mid prospect yet.. and yes I mean YET.. but hes pick 1?.

thats sounds like madness too when you think about it.
Bearded clam Watch the game he played he played in the young guns game and tell me
He will not be an elite mid at some stage. Watch it in full and I will rest my case

the great games ronald mcdonald has that people have seen in wafl on video he played on DGB! so no I don’t think so. I also think no to mcdonald.

Bearded clam Watch the game he played he played in the young guns game and tell me
He will not be an elite mid at some stage. Watch it in full and I will rest my case
hollands with 1 is a no brainer the rest of our picks are murky. he is exactly what we don’t have despite acl. the fact that he’s still rated at 2 by the experts despite not playing and acl - plus fits needs and is a crows supporter to suit.

Did he play in the midfield the whole game?..
I mean, the options seem to be:
McDonald (wasn't even a thing this time last year)
Hollands (ACL injury, hasn't necessarily played full-time midfield in juniors)
Thilthorpe (switches between ruck and forward, another who doesn't have a clearly defined position)
The 2 guys in the draft who look elite and have played their position all through juniors are both Academy picks, so we can't have them.
It's just how the system works. There's no Matt Rowell for us to pick this year.

If we have picks 1 and 2 and dont bid on JUH and Campbell with them, if they are the two best players in the draft, we have ******* rocks in our heads..

bidding on them forces dogs and sydney to not only pay up for them but also takes them off the draft board. If we let them stay on the board they get to pick 2 “available” (non NGA/FS players) players which effectively lessens our chances of getting a shot at these two players and makes us have to settle for something less.

unless both Dogs and Swans can come up with a very, VERY, juicy little deal thats massively in our favour.. we need to make them pay..

they would do exactly the same to us if the shoe was on the other foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back