Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
Disagree. You’re assuming that Berg will be good enough to build a fwd line around, when he might end up only at Ken McGregor levels. Secondly, you’re assuming you know exactly the kind of roles that Tilthorpe and McDonald will be best used in, when they’re still kids and none of us have seen much of them. Thirdly, based on what have been told, McDonald has endurance as a strength, so you might think he’d be the kind of fwd who covers a lot ground, just like Berg. Just because thilthorpe is thought to have prospects as a second ruck doesn’t mean theres no place for him as primary a deep contested marking player in our future fwd line. There is so much uncertainty that you just pick based on 1. talent and 2. Worries about go home (and I don’t know if there are any fears about mcd on that front).

Firstly, I would be very concerned if the so called “Go home factor” played any role in our drafting. Build a culture players want to stick around for ala Brisbane.

Secondly, I dont think I said Berg will ever be a No1 forward? I think his ceiling could be a very competent 2nd or 3rd option though. McDonald could absolutely be a KPF you build a forwardline around. It’s quite easy to project where McDonald and TTs best position will be and in fact that’s exactly what you pay recruiters for. Just seems a waste of capital on a player who plays a position in we already have covered.

You're ******* joking of course...Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield are both absolute young guns and 100 miles in front of our 1st round pick in that draft performance wise....perhaps if your statement said that might be obtainable it might have had some credibility because sure as sh*t the Saints aren't giving them up..

I'd take Hunter Clark in particular as a level swap.

I just don't think they'll offer us a player, other than maybe Jack Lonie or Luke Dunstan.

Perhaps we look for Dunstan, 2021 1st and 2021 2nd for Crouch and 2021 3rd?

It's tough. I don't think we'll quite get value in this year's draft for him, so it might make sense to move it to next year.

My problem with the match and trade route is that right now St. Kilda have nothing of value to trade. They will have to engage a 3rd party to find a draft pick suitable and that always gets tricky. I've looked through their list to see if they have any players under 23 that I'd be keen to include and my God, what a wasteland. Other than the King boy (who they will never give up), there is nothing there at all. Any trade offer that includes pick 15 as the jewel should be thrown out immediately.
I just don't see how St. Kilda find a suitable trade. They must know this and so if they really want him they will have to find a way to make sure it is Band 1 compensation.
you have to look at it through a different prism. If we DON"T match, St Kilda get a free hit with Brad Crouch - our current best midfielder - to push for a flag AND they have not had to give up anything to get him. We take a pick that is speculative at best or rubbish at worst in a compromised draft.

To force St Kilda to trade if they don't make the deal good enough to warrant us not matching means we can strip them of at least a first round pick and maybe a couple or another 2nd rounder. That hurts their ability to bring in extra players via trade OR the extra top rated kids from the draft. It should be seen as an opportunity cost on St Kilda's part

I just don't think they'll offer us a player, other than maybe Jack Lonie or Luke Dunstan.

Perhaps we look for Dunstan, 2021 1st and 2021 2nd for Crouch and 2021 3rd?

It's tough. I don't think we'll quite get value in this year's draft for him, so it might make sense to move it to next year.
It will be a surprise to see if anyone trades out of next year, the early signs suggest a strong one after a very heavily compromised one.

My problem with the match and trade route is that right now St. Kilda have nothing of value to trade. They will have to engage a 3rd party to find a draft pick suitable and that always gets tricky. I've looked through their list to see if they have any players under 23 that I'd be keen to include and my God, what a wasteland. Other than the King boy (who they will never give up), there is nothing there at all. Any trade offer that includes pick 15 as the jewel should be thrown out immediately.
I just don't see how St. Kilda find a suitable trade. They must know this and so if they really want him they will have to find a way to make sure it is Band 1 compensation.
You wouldn't do their 2021 1st (with some mayo)? Even if they make the 8 again, all the talk is that the 1st round is where you want be next year.

You wouldn't do their 2021 1st (with some mayo)? Even if they make the 8 again, all the talk is that the 1st round is where you want be next year.
Which is why they won't trade it

It will be a surprise to see if anyone trades out of next year, the early signs suggest a strong one after a very heavily compromised one.
Plus a lot of this year's Vic players that will be overlooked because of no form line to assess whether they had come on as expected leaving doubts in recruiters minds. Every year there's bolters especially from Victoria. If Clayton Oliver or Sam Sturt were in this year's draft having not played in their top age year I'd be confident neither would have been drafted.

I agree, but the saints just might. Their trading strategy seems to be aimed at contending in next few years. Hill, Ryder, Hanneberry aren’t kids.
I couldn't handle another death riding thread

You're ******* joking of course...Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield are both absolute young guns and 100 miles in front of our 1st round pick in that draft performance wise....perhaps if your statement said that might be obtainable it might have had some credibility because sure as sh*t the Saints aren't giving them up..

Yep Good call on Clark and Coffield.

I guess I was looking more at players we might have a remote chance of St. Kilda being willing to give up. Both Clark and Coffield sit on the level of King - utterly untouchable.
I was looking more for that high draft pick that hasn't quite been a top 15 player in their side (a bit like a Hately). I just couldn't find one I'd want.

I wouldn't mind Jade Gresham.
Think he wants midfield minutes, and with Crouch in, he'll be pushed down the pecking order.

Yep Good call on Clark and Coffield.

I guess I was looking more at players we might have a remote chance of St. Kilda being willing to give up. Both Clark and Coffield sit on the level of King - utterly untouchable.
I was looking more for that high draft pick that hasn't quite been a top 15 player in their side (a bit like a Hately). I just couldn't find one I'd want.
Ben Patton is decent also but not really a list need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he wants midfield minutes, and with Crouch in, he'll be pushed down the pecking order.
Imagine that.

"Another small midfielder !!!"

Me either but he said under 23 so I didn't want him coming back at me with that...

Gresham also fits Nicks' versatility mantra,

McDonald pick 1.
Totally owns his possessions and has composure with ball in hand.
Excellent sign to have a young key forward with those qualities, gives the rest of the team huge confidence knowing your getting it into a bloke that owns his position and has the confidence to nail it.

I agree, but I think that's partly what would convince us to take it.

Equitable in quality to a top 10 pick this year - which you'd accept? Surely you look at the quality of the kid available, rather than the draft pick attached to it. 2003 come on down.
I'm at the point I want a top 5 pick for B Crouch in this years draft. Given that, a late teens pick in next years (supposed) strong draft that will end up around pick 20 by the time it is actually taken? No thanks.
Maybe I'm unrealistic when it comes to the return for Crouch, but that is what I'd want.

Me either but he said under 23 so I didn't want him coming back at me with that...

Gresham also fits Nicks' versatility mantra,
A good player, but has red flags for me.
1. We don't need another small mid.
2. He's already 23. Age wise I guess that isn't a complete barrier - he would be around 27-28 by the time we are competing again so thats probably ok
3. He's had back stress fractures this year. That would worry me a lot.

I'm at the point I want a top 5 pick for B Crouch in this years draft. Given that, a late teens pick in next years (supposed) strong draft that will end up around pick 20 by the time it is actually taken? No thanks.
Maybe I'm unrealistic when it comes to the return for Crouch, but that is what I'd want.
Ahhhh....yup. :p

McDonald pick 1.
Totally owns his possessions and has composure with ball in hand.
Excellent sign to have a young key forward with those qualities, gives the rest of the team huge confidence knowing your getting it into a bloke that owns his position and has the confidence to nail it.
If crows don’t get pick 2, pick 1 will be hollands. They will attempt to move up and get Thilthorpe at 4 or 5.

Hey, I'm very hopeful no one would solve my "artist formerly known as" clue ...

Oh *, you're Kristoff? I thought you were one of the many Alex accounts floating around.

Disagree. You’re assuming that Berg will be good enough to build a fwd line around, when he might end up only at Ken McGregor levels. Secondly, you’re assuming you know exactly the kind of roles that Tilthorpe and McDonald will be best used in, when they’re still kids and none of us have seen much of them. Thirdly, based on what have been told, McDonald has endurance as a strength, so you might think he’d be the kind of fwd who covers a lot ground, just like Berg. Just because thilthorpe is thought to have prospects as a second ruck doesn’t mean theres no place for him as primary a deep contested marking player in our future fwd line. There is so much uncertainty that you just pick based on 1. talent and 2. Worries about go home (and I don’t know if there are any fears about mcd on that front).
Ken McGregor level is good enough if you have Nick Riewoldt and Taylor Walker on the next line (McDonald and Fogarty).

Firstly, I would be very concerned if the so called “Go home factor” played any role in our drafting. Build a culture players want to stick around for ala Brisbane.
It has always formed a part in our drafting - that's why most of our Victorian draftees are from Vic Country, not Vic Metro. It's also why we didn't even bother having a WA talent scout for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back