Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
That is actually a damn fine idea.

That said, I wouldn't remove them from the first 2 rounds - I'd just limit clubs to taking 1x NGA or F/S player in the first 2 rounds.
I just don't like the idea of NGA or FS. I think it's old school Vic biased, and has little relevance to AFL. See Borlase as the prime example.

The draft is one of the best things we have to even the comp, so we shouldn't compromise it.

I just don't like the idea of NGA or FS. I think it's old school Vic biased, and has little relevance to AFL. See Borlase as the prime example.

The draft is one of the best things we have to even the comp, so we shouldn't compromise it.
I don't have a problem with it at all. It adds a sentimental touch, which is otherwise missing from the game.

As for the Vic bias, that will decrease over time. We've been in the competition for 30 years now, which is almost long enough for us to be generating as many F/S options as the Victorian clubs. There was a definite bias against us with the initial SANFL F/S rule, but that rule becomes less and less relevant with every passing year.

Borlase is a true exception - a kid born to a footballing family, who just happened to be living overseas at the time of his birth. You don't change rules just because of truly exceptional outliers, such as Borlase.

Gee having 1 2 & 8 in the draft

The VFL media will tell us, that’s being greedy, it’s unpresidented

No one’s had three single digit picks since

*checks notes*

Freo last year
Hmm, Geelong this year, runner up in the GF, 3 first round picks.

I don't have a problem with it at all. It adds a sentimental touch, which is otherwise missing from the game.

As for the Vic bias, that will decrease over time. We've been in the competition for 30 years now, which is almost long enough for us to be generating as many F/S options as the Victorian clubs. There was a definite bias against us with the initial SANFL F/S rule, but that rule becomes less and less relevant with every passing year.

Borlase is a true exception - a kid born to a footballing family, who just happened to be living overseas at the time of his birth. You don't change rules just because of truly exceptional outliers, such as Borlase.
At least not until after we benefit from it!

At least not until after we benefit from it!

barret Silvagni again saying crouch not worth pick two, rendell says 800 x 5 vic media says if true still not pick 2 goes on b and f all Australian, rated top ten player. Then rendell says if that so buddy pick 19. Vic media go hmmm yea but..... bloody bias now irrespective of contract now know contract worth pick 2. First no way get contract that big now know may be true. Use other means to diminish brad credibility for pic 2. Give up it’s not vfl anymore. Hmmm maybe still is but we will get pick tooo.

barret Silvagni again saying crouch not worth pick two, rendell says 800 x 5 vic media says if true still not pick 2 goes on b and f all Australian, rated top ten player. Then rendell says if that so buddy pick 19. Vic media go hmmm yea but..... bloody bias now irrespective of contract now know contract worth pick 2. First no way get contract that big now know may be true. Use other means to diminish brad credibility for pic 2. Give up it’s not vfl anymore. Hmmm maybe still is but we will get pick tooo.

also rendel said threshold go down 10 percent making 800 x 5 shoe in 😁😁😁😁

Smoky...Love the fact the lad's got pro-active promoting himself with 12 highlight reels on HUDL

Old man Haydn went alright too playing games for Melbourne, Richmond and Woodville/West Torrens.

Another /defender/outside for considerationmid Mego Red ?

Last edited:

If it was sentimental than both the player and the club should be banned from trading for the rest of their players careers.

Plenty of Father/Son picks happy to go chasing the money and plenty of clubs willing to trade away their father/son players as well.

Sentimentality is an excuse and a poor one at that. It's all about keeping the strong clubs strong at the expense of an even playing field.

You are misrepresenting it a bit.

If you start with 1,2,9,20, they will likely become 1,2,12,24 with bids. Maybe even later for pick 20.

Instead we go 1,6,10,14,16,22
Then you conveniently forgot Hayward as well.

Is 1,2,12,24 actually better than 1,6,10,14,16, 25 (after bids)?
Ignoring the pick 20 or 22 etc...

It is 1,2,12

Or 1,6,10,14,16 + Hayward.

I take the latter, especially when pick 2 has an injury concern and we need talent everywhere!

Is there any comparison between Thilthorpe and the King twins? Both about the same height. How does Thilthorpe rate compared to those 2?

as a Victorian the kings r supreme. No argument they will be awesome but I don’t think tilthorpe is not to dissimilar. I actually think tilthorpe has more tricks and may be better than both. For his size his athelitisism his skill below his knees His tank can play forward ruck even wing. He will be amazing for us bleed the crows jumper

Interesting idea from SOS, if bid on NGA and it's matched, you should get the points difference between (say 1 and 2) added to your next pick.

e.g. we bid at 1 (3000), he is matched, so our pick goes to 2 (2517), or -483 points.

We then get 483 to be added to our next pick 20 (912) taking it to pick 10 (1395).

Probably the best thing I have heard from him. I actually like it. However, remove NGA and FS from the first 2 rounds (or all together) and it's not an issue.
It would encourage more clubs to bid and therefore keep other clubs honest as if you bid and they don't match you get the player but if you bid and they match you move your later picks up in the draft.

Is there any comparison between Thilthorpe and the King twins? Both about the same height. How does Thilthorpe rate compared to those 2?
King boys are a bit more athletic and have a more natural higher jump to their game.

Thilthorpe is still agile though for a big man but tends to be more contested in his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting idea from SOS, if bid on NGA and it's matched, you should get the points difference between (say 1 and 2) added to your next pick.

e.g. we bid at 1 (3000), he is matched, so our pick goes to 2 (2517), or -483 points.

We then get 483 to be added to our next pick 20 (912) taking it to pick 10 (1395).

Probably the best thing I have heard from him. I actually like it. However, remove NGA and FS from the first 2 rounds (or all together) and it's not an issue.
Thinking about it some more... it's not just the bidding club's pick which decreases in value, it's every pick between the bid pick and the matching club's next pick. Potentially that could be 30+ picks which decrease in value, and by rights all affected clubs should be compensated. That could get really messy, really quickly.

It's also possible that other picks, later in the draft, will move up - increasing in value. Do we subsequently deduct value from picks as well?

Here's a hypothetical for you...

Let's say that the Bulldogs trade us their pick #12, and at the end of the trading period their 1st remaining pick is #33. Adelaide places a bid for JUH at #1, which the Bulldogs match. Pick #33 moves up to pick #1, pick #1 becomes pick #2, and so forth, until pick #32 becomes pick #33. Potentially that's 32 picks which need to be compensated...

In addition to pick #33, they are also forced to burn picks #39 and #44, which move to the end of the draft. As a result, picks #40-43 move up 1 position in the draft, and every pick after #45 moves up 2 positions. These picks have all increased in value, so a negative compensation should be applied as well.

It's not hard to see how this could open a massive can of worms.

** Pick numbers are chosen purely for illustrative purposes.

Last edited:
First step should be to make it so that clubs pay full value for the first two rounds, no discounts.

Bit too harsh for my liking including the second round. Especially mid to late 2nd gets speculative.

I'd probably solve it as:
Pick 1-5 would be open access (I.e. the team with the NGA talent cannot match a bid)

Pick 6-end of round 1: Bid can be matched with a 10% discount

Other: Full 20% discount.

Should be also can only match with first pick within 10 of the nomination pick.

So if we go the Dogs kids with pick 1, they need at least pick 11.
That could be fun... Club X bids at pick A. Club Y wants to match, but their next pick isn't until A+12. They need to initiate a Live Trade, in order to move A+12 up by at least 2 positions. The AFL wants the excitement of Live Trades, this definitely has the potential to force things to happen!

as a Victorian the kings r supreme. No argument they will be awesome but I don’t think tilthorpe is not to dissimilar. I actually think tilthorpe has more tricks and may be better than both. For his size his athelitisism his skill below his knees His tank can play forward ruck even wing. He will be amazing for us bleed the crows jumper
More tricks than Max King in particular....I don't think so!

If we're drafting Thilthorpe it will be as a KPF at front of mind.

Both King lads have in spades the one thing that Thilthorpe probably lacks...genuine speed and most certainly speed off the mark which is a great asset for a KPD. Thilthorpe isn't slow but he's not in the King's league in that regard.

4.52 sec mark of the tape.

Both King lads have in spades the one thing that Thilthorpe probably lacks...genuine speed and most certainly speed off the mark which is a great asset for a KPD. Thilthorpe isn't slow but he's not in the King's league in that regard.

we r allowed different opinion but I think tilthorpe not guaranteed but big chance be as good as kings, even better through diversity play different roles. Just because kings Victorian yjey get more hype don’t be mistaken

Who is the better contested Mark, set shot and general football intelligence?

I get pace is good for that explosiveness but it’s a trait your willing your key forward to be average in if they’re elite in kicking or marking instead

That's not specifically SOS's thinking, that was mentioned in several articles as being mooted by the AFL months ago.

Last edited:

I get pace is good for that explosiveness but it’s a trait your willing your key forward to be average in if they’re elite in kicking or marking instead
Thilthorpe is probably the better contested mark but give me a forward that can get serious separation from his defender over that every day personally.

They're both decent talents and I'm happy enough to have either on our list.

Thanks for that. Very surprised to see Daw beat Charlie.

Should have placed a bag of money at the finish line. Charlie would have creamed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back