Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
A question to the draft gurus out there, just thinking about McDonald's season and how it compares to other potential highly rated key forwards in previous years. Has there been any other draftees that have gone pick 1 (or in the top 5) that have had such an impressive season against men in a senior competition? Or have they generally been in the under 18 competitions where they have mainly played?

It is hard to gauge his season against previous years draftees as there has been no U18 national carnival this year.
Most KPFs who go early get selected from Vic U18s

I see it as clearly between Hollands and McDonald.

Ruckmen just aren't that important in the modern game.

Look at O'Brien. Eminently serviceable and from the rookie draft.

Thrilthorpe's year wasn't amazing and I reckon if the Vic kids had played and anyone other than us had pick 1 he would be 6-12 territory.
* me.. the lad is not a ******* ruckman.. hes a forward that can ruck and was forced to do a lot of ruck work for westies this year due to injuries to their main ruck..

why the hell are you blatantly pushing this lie?..

A question to the draft gurus out there, just thinking about McDonald's season and how it compares to other potential highly rated key forwards in previous years. Has there been any other draftees that have gone pick 1 (or in the top 5) that have had such an impressive season against men in a senior competition? Or have they generally been in the under 18 competitions where they have mainly played?

It is hard to gauge his season against previous years draftees as there has been no U18 national carnival this year.
Well that immediately debars the Victorian draftees where the a goodly percentage of the best talls originate from.

I think this played against "the men" gets largely overblown especially on this board.

Your last sentence contains the answer.

fu** me.. the lad is not a ******* ruckman.. hes a forward that can ruck and was forced to do a lot of ruck work for westies this year due to injuries to their main ruck..

why the hell are you blatantly pushing this lie?..
Are you ok?

Are you ok?
im fine... im not the one pushing bullshit lies..

your infatuation with writing off thilthorpe is just becoming hysterical. we get it.. you dont want them to pick him and thats fine but theres no need to write absolutely unfounded nonsense desperately trying to make it sound like thilthorpes a ruckman and nothing else when its clearly not the case.

lever was meant to be top 3 in his draft year.. we got him in the teens
kemp was meant to go top 10 last year.. slid
king is about the only player that had knee issues that didnt slide.. but he did spend his recon recovery with stkilda so they knew exactly where it was all at.. and they still weren't certain the should grab him, from all reports Rozee was very nearly a saint.
i’m sure theres plenty of other examples if you dig deeper.

kids with knees nearly always slide..

will hollands?.. only time will tell.

what we do know is that the teams with the first 4 picks all need a kpf.. so all this talk in here of thilthorpe sliding to maybe pick 6 is a pure fantasy. some even laughably suggesting he makes it to 9 past essendon‘s 3 picks.. i mean, its not like essendon need a new forward right!..

if we dont pick him with pick 1 he’ll be gone by pick 4.. in fact if we take Mcdonald with pick 1 i fully expect norf to take thilthorpe with 2.. they desperately need a kpf.

if there‘s a player that slides it will be hollands.. not thilthorpe.

I think that’s what the crows are banking on. Maybe he may make it to 9, may have trade up a few spots, but I still think gettable.

im fine... im not the one pushing bullshit lies..

your infatuation with writing off thilthorpe is just becoming hysterical. we get it.. you dont want them to pick him and thats fine but theres no need to write absolutely unfounded nonsense desperately trying to make it sound like thilthorpes a ruckman and nothing else when its clearly not the case.
Lolza ok

Personally still think we are taking LM at 1.
No way we risk Hollands at 1
If we had pick 1 and 2 I think it would have been LM and Hollands.
I think hollands will slide, as may be same risk for any of top five picks,BUT does he last to 9, no way, more chance RT sliding. I think he will be at Essendon though, unless we get really lucky.
KPD last year, KPF this year, go hard on mids 2021, makes sense.

i like RT but we would all feel better categorically knowing if he is a ruck or forward, or even a roaming utility.This is why we r sceptical about him, not that he doesn’t have talent in spades, we know he does.

anyway that’s my take.
This is the issue of not having a strong under 18s comp like the Victorians. Westies have done him no favours, but if he slides it could work out ok

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Thilthorpe
2. McDonald
3. DGB (Seems to be popular opinion)

4 is key; as much is made from Hawks getting players healthy, equally it hasn't worked. Do they really want to take a risk on another injured player?

4. Phillips
5. Chapman? (I actually have no idea here)

Hollands can slide very easily, then offer Essendon to one pick slide for pick 21, for a knee recon'd forward/mid?

This is the deal we need to work on, if I understand correctly though, leadership will be the most prized attribute this year for Essendon.

But they also will hold great value on players 'ready to play' as they can't admit/ not ready for a rebuild just yet.

1. Thilthorpe
2. McDonald

4 is key; as much is made from Hawks getting players healthy, equally it hasn't worked. Do they really want to take a risk on another injured player?

4. Phillips

Hollands can slide very easily, then offer Essendon to one pick slide for pick 21, for a knee recon'd forward/mid?

This is the deal we need to work on, if I understand correctly though, leadership will be the most prized attribute this year for Essendon.

But they also will hold great value on players 'ready to play' as they can't admit/ not ready for a rebuild just yet.

If Hollands or Tilthorpe slip to Essendon they are licking their lips to take either and then have 2 more successive picks .

They are not going to hand over the good fortune for one more pick in the early 20's .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Thilthorpe
2. McDonald

4. Phillips

Thilthorpe won't go at pick 1. The only way I see that happening is due to the fact he's from SA but I don't see that being a factor. If we take McDonald then North have a very big decision. Do they take Thilthorpe, Phillips or Hollands? I see them going Phillips or Thilthorpe. Will likely come down to who they think will have a better career and who has the best leadership qualities. I think North may go Phillips at 2 but they could just as easily go Thilthorpe. Lock DGB in for Swans as they desperately need a KPB. Hawks take either Hollands or whoever North don't take out of Phillips or Thilthorpe. If North don't take Thilthorpe i see the Hawks taking him. They need a KPF after Roughie retiring and Patton not working out. If Hollands is available at 5 GC will take him.
I think it might land:
1. JUH wb
2. McDonald adl
3.Phillips nm
4.DGB sw
5. Thilthorpe haw
6.Hollands gc

Do the crows make a play for Hollands at 6 if gc is more interested in next year and doesn't want to take a risk on his ACL? It's a possibility. GC may also have their eye on on a Perkins, Henry or Macrae.

Last edited:
Thilthorpe won't go at pick 1. The only way I see that happening is due to the fact he's from SA but I don't see that being a factor. If we take McDonald then North have a very big decision. Do they take Thilthorpe, Phillips or Hollands? I see them going Phillips or Thilthorpe. Will likely come down to who they think will have a better career and who has the best leadership qualities. I think North may go Phillips at 2 but they could just as easily go Thilthorpe. Lock DGB in for Swans as they desperately need a KPB. Hawks take either Hollands or whoever North don't take out of Phillips or Thilthorpe. If North don't take Thilthorpe i see the Hawks taking him. They need a KPF after Roughie retiring and Patton not working out. If Hollands is available at 5 GC will take him.
I think it might land:
1. JUH wb
2. McDonald adl
3.Phillips nm
4.DGB sw
5. Thilthorpe haw
6.Hollands gc

Do the crows make a play for Hollands at 6 if gc is more interested in next year and doesn't want to take a risk on his ACL? It's a possibility.

We may not even want Hollands. If 6 other clubs pass on him, we could too.

would you say he's a pick 1 option if he wasnt from SA but mcdonald was? I havent seen anyone say thilthorpe is a pick 1 option apart from a few on adelaides bf section. everywhere on twitter its mcdonald.
i keep hearing its OP that Thilthorpe has not just run of mill groin strain. That would weigh on anyone w pick1.

i keep hearing its OP that Thilthorpe has not just run of mill groin strain. That would weigh on anyone w pick1.
ostio pubis is wad Brouch had, hmm if so that put a lot clubs of including us. May be a reason he slides.

If he slides which is likely if it's OP would Essendon take the risk on another potentially injury prone KPF? I don't know if they would tbh. Thilthorpe could slide to North at pick 11.

ostio pubis is wad Brouch had, hmm if so that put a lot clubs of including us. May be a reason he slides.
Doubt it. Im sure it is another name for groin strain and RT has several months to get over but still element of concern for someone with a high pick. Just meant its diagnosed and have seen other players struggle with this over long periods of time. I should have said run of mill groin soreness.

Last edited:
If he slides which is likely if it's OP would Essendon take the risk on another potentially injury prone KPF? I don't know if they would tbh. Thilthorpe could slide to North at pick 11.

not sure why your opinion of RT is so bad but that comment is ridiculous. Zero chance he gets past us at 9 and extremely strong chance he goes at one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

not sure why your opinion of RT is so bad but that comment is ridiculous. Zero chance he gets past us at 9 and extremely strong chance he goes at one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we take McDonald at 1 it's highly unlikely we would take another KPF at 9. If we do I would be disappointed as we need a Mid along with a KPF. I don't have a low opinion of Thilthorpe but he isn't a pick 1 in my and most experts eyes. Just because I don't see him as a number 1 pick doesn't mean I don't rate him.

If he has injury concerns it's likely he will slide. How low he slides I have no idea but I feel the hawks will probably take him at pick 4(5). If they don't then Essendon likely will take him although they have been burnt by Daniher and this could influence their decision making. That leaves us which as stated above I don't see us doubling up on 2 KPF's. Next in line is the Bulldogs who do need a forward/ruck especially with English doing very little but if they didn't take him it would be North with pick 11 who do need a KPF.

I see Thilthorpe going anywhere from pick 2 to pick 11. I just hope we don't take him at pick 1 and especially if he has OP.

Last edited:
Why would they need to 'soften up the masses'? I would say most casual supporters would already be hoping we take the local boy. In fact, there will probably be an outcry if we don't take Thilthorpe.
You might be right about the casual supporters.

But they know there are a core of knowledgeable supporters as well. And generally the knowledgeable supporters turn out right. See Burton etc.

This thread before the poll turned to Godzilla v Jesus was like 70% Hollands.

They know there is a core of paid up hard core supporters who don't want a SA ruckman at pick 1 just because he's SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back