2020 Draft Points Deficit

Remove this Banner Ad

Hob07

Rookie
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey guys I’ve seen a bit mentioned about Freo’s point deficit going into the 2020 draft and Freo loosing pick 1 even if we finish last.
I could be wrong but I believe Freo keep pick 1 if we finish last.
Pick 1 = 3000 points minus Freo’s 265 point deficit = 2735 points.
Pick 2 is valued at 2517 points, Freo’s 2735 points comes in higher than that number thus we keep pick 1, same story with pick 2, however my calculations show pick 3 dropping to pick 4 all the way through to pick 18 becoming pick 26 (we should be so lucky).
Can anyone clear this up for me, cheers.

I believe the AFL has ruled previously that you move down with a deficit regardless of the actual points value. So in the hypothetical where we get pick 1, we get moved down to pick 2 due to the deficit, with the gap in points value becoming a surplus for us (i.e. in that case our 265 point deficit becomes a 218 point surplus)

Hob07

Rookie
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I believe the AFL has ruled previously that you move down with a deficit regardless of the actual points value. So in the hypothetical where we get pick 1, we get moved down to pick 2 due to the deficit, with the gap in points value becoming a surplus for us (i.e. in that case our 265 point deficit becomes a 218 point surplus)
Thanks for the response, damn not what I wanted to hear.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks for the response, damn not what I wanted to hear.
It’s pretty simple really. You need 3000 points for pick 1. Not 2999 or anything less it isn’t like a mulligan/gimme in golf. So unless you have the full allotment of points for that pick then down you slide and you carry over surplus to offset future deficit. I’m sure a tax accountant came up with the process because it is very much like capital gains and capital loss.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a really good question and I’m yet to see a definitive answer to it. There are also lots of complications that are unclear. If brad crouch leaves Adelaide and they get band 1 compo pick, will it push us back before or after the deficit is applied? I think the deficit is applied before trade week but not 100% sure. Can we only use the excess points after the deficit is applied on a first round future bid, or could they be used to match a bid for Western or Walker later in the draft?

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a really good question and I’m yet to see a definitive answer to it. There are also lots of complications that are unclear. If brad crouch leaves Adelaide and they get band 1 compo pick, will it push us back before or after the deficit is applied? I think the deficit is applied before trade week but not 100% sure. Can we only use the excess points after the deficit is applied on a first round future bid, or could they be used to match a bid for Western or Walker later in the draft?
The surplus is carried over for future draft deficit. So in the case of Henry deficit we had 265 pts or whatever is the deficit. Say we had a surplus of 200 this now makes the deficit only 65.

GWS seem to be the only club who had a deficit reduced by a surplus relating to Hopper Academy Pick (2015) and after the surplus (carried over from 2015) reduced the deficit from 2018 (Briggs) the smaller pts deficit resulted in 55 dropping down to 57 (in 2019 AFL draft). This pick 57 pushed down to 60 due to compensation picks.

Also the application of draft deficit/surplus is done prior to the trade period. Then after the trade period where AFL awards FA compo picks and/or clubs trade picks the draft order is re-done. Then on draft night/day the order may change again due to bids and pick trading.

Jun 4, 2008
Kardinya
AFL Club
Fremantle
So does that same rule apply if we finish second last? (ie: Pick 2 becomes Pick 3)
What happens if we finish a bit higher, at say, 13th? (ie: Pick 6 = 1,751 pts)
If they dropped us down only one selection to pick 7 (1,644 pts), we would only be paying back 107 pts (1,751 - 1,644);
Or would they drop us down 2 selections to pick 8 (1,329 pts), we'd be paying 422 pts

The draft has become so complicated.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
So does that same rule apply if we finish second last? (ie: Pick 2 becomes Pick 3)

What happens if we finish a bit higher, at say, 13th? (ie: Pick 6 = 1,751 pts)
If they dropped us down only one selection to pick 7 (1,644 pts), we would only be paying back 107 pts (1,751 - 1,644);
Or would they drop us down 2 selections to pick 8 (1,329 pts), we'd be paying 422 pts

The draft has become so complicated.
It's just a straight calculation. You take the deficit off the value of whatever pick the ladder says we should have and we get the next highest pick we have the full quota of points for.

I know it is
1->2
2->3
3->5
and I think
4->7

The lower we finish, the lower the penalty in terms of pure draft position.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's just a straight calculation. You take the deficit off the value of whatever pick the ladder says we should have and we get the next highest pick we have the full quota of points for.

I know it is
1->2
2->3
3->5
and I think
4->7

The lower we finish, the lower the penalty in terms of pure draft position.
Far out so we can finish bottom 4 and end up with nothing better than 7? That is some penalty. Thanks Carlton you weasels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Far out so we can finish bottom 4 and end up with nothing better than 7? That is some penalty. Thanks Carlton you weasels
If we get pick 4 it will slide back to 6, not 7. Pick 5 would slide back to 8 though, and pick 6 to 9.
pick 1 - back to pick 2
Pick 2 - back to pick 3
Pick 3 - back to pick 5
if we only won one or two games and finished dead last we might get a priority pick in addition to our own pick. Highly unlikely though.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
If we get pick 4 it will slide back to 6, not 7. Pick 5 would slide back to 8 though, and pick 6 to 9.
pick 1 - back to pick 2
Pick 2 - back to pick 3
Pick 3 - back to pick 5
if we only won one or two games and finished dead last we might get a priority pick in addition to our own pick. Highly unlikely though.
Given the choice....

I rather finish 2nd bottom and have pick 3 then trade that with our 2021 3rd rounder for picks 6, 24 and 42.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m still not certain what will actually happen. There is a lot of conflicting info flying around on BF about how points deficit is applied and no evidence from any official source.
the likeliest outcome? The AFL will just make it up as they go along!

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Afl must have so much staff at hq that they could piss around enough to come up with such a convoluted experiment as this peice of crap.
And they are so bloated with employees they will keep ******* with it next year sucking more life out of our once great game..

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
We had 2 first round picks and used some later picks and a point deficit to get a 3rd first round pick. So what if we drop a pick or 2 this year, the 2019draft was worth it

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m furious that the club didn’t have enough points in the first place.

Port screwed us in trading out our future second. We put ourselves into a corner.

Better to have trade out the future second round pick before the draft.
This is true. We became a desperate buyer. Belly was wearing his Beer goggles.

There were a number of trades that were ok but not in our favour. I agree there were opportunities for us pre-draft to get a better look at points by trading out a future 2nd. That and biding on Green pushing back Carlton to pick 10 would have left a negligible points differential.

Back