2020 Draft summary and thoughts

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The little I've seen of Borlase I think he will find his niche as a defender.
He reads the ball well and has that defenders mentality like Talia of being in the right position to block their forward.
He's a good size to create a contest and not be out bodied by the taller forwards.
He looks a disciplined footballer and I think this gives him a real chance to become a regular in the team.
His father was a hard working effective forward/follower so Borlase has the pedigree to perhaps move up the ground with game experience.
He's played in defence for Sturt and I think that trend will continue with us.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
We did well at the draft. Newchurch could end up being the pick of the bunch if he develops well.
Agreed. Very high ceiling. Just hope he is able to really apply himself.

I'm also really high on Pedlar. I think he's going to be a fan favourite very quickly.

Meanwhile, Hately will play 200+ games as a clean-hands inside mid with no fuss at all.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t have any issue with any of the picks. We’ve addressed a few issues with speed, grunt and natural goal kicking sense/accuracy. However, I would love to see any of them get some game time, to have a better judgment.
The recent loss of Gooch and Polhoke is a stark reminder that AFL is a tough gig. You can have the potential but it doesn’t guarantee a fully-fledged AFL longterm player. Hard work with a sprinkle of luck is needed.

From the footages, I like the look of RT, Pedlar and Cook. Think they will be serviceable in the least. Hately is a very solid player who looks capable of playing longterm for us.

One thing I think we need to recognise is that, once again, Ogilvie has correctly assessed the NGA and father/Son players. Despite a lot of us panicking and wanting players on the main list, he has read the situation well.
Enabled us to maximise the young talent brought into our list by getting them as category B.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We did really well in this draft, lots of talent for SA being a bonus. Thilthorpe will develop into a star as I think Cook will as well. I hoped to get both as they are the only 2 I’ve seen live and was impressed with both.

Coowill be a half forward/ wingman with a touch of class. He has time that others don’t seem to have.

I don’t know much about Pedler but I like his profile, a hard nutthat likes to kick goals. We’ve sadly missed some goal kicking midfielders since Danger left. Hope Berry turns out similar

Rowe look a good call now considering Stengle will be gone soon. Newchurch and Borlase are 50/50 but could turn out to bargains. I hope they get a few indigenous boys to help Newchurch out as they need a bit more guidance and help to stay out of trouble, if so he could be a star

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
We are really starting to boost the number of SA lads on our list now..and I will add, it seems all are there on merit
And that last point is really important part. They are there on their merits.

Thilthorpe is the underage star that fills a need for us.

Pedlar also fills that need on having a grunt midfielders.

Cook is the X factor is the forward line that can push to the wing.

Borlase and Newchurch are free hits.

Schoenberg also filled a need for us last year with some strength around the ball and some break away ability.

Jimmy Rowe is a ready made small forward that just might have been an insurance policy for us given what has transpired since the draft.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed. Very high ceiling. Just hope he is able to really apply himself.

I'm also really high on Pedlar. I think he's going to be a fan favourite very quickly.

Meanwhile, Hately will play 200+ games as a clean-hands inside mid with no fuss at all.
I am hoping with newchurch that an AFL system with top end training facilities, dietary programs and coaching structures that he can get his application up to the required level. If he can then he could be a real jack in the box for us across half forward in coming seasons

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I am hoping with newchurch that an AFL system with top end training facilities, dietary programs and coaching structures that he can get his application up to the required level. If he can then he could be a real jack in the box for us across half forward in coming seasons
He could be anything. He has been given an opportunity, what level he reaches is fully up to him and his desire now.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
After being critical of Hamish in past especially from day 1 with the Jones McHenry picks it certainly seems that him Reid etc really played the draft and trading well getting Hately for nothing and the NGA on cat B rookie list .
But after reading the AFL rundown of how the draft picks went and discussions to try to get who they wanted it seems both Pedlar and Cook were in big demand and we did well to get.
Whilst didn't understand getting another inside mid in Berry from reading posters obvious he can offer a bit more than the dour inside mid.
Like many surprised with the Rowe pick with lot more highly rated players still there but events since explain why.
Some real talent at club now over last 2 years and new coaching structure the future looks bright amongst the gloom of 2020.

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
After being critical of Hamish in past especially from day 1 with the Jones McHenry picks it certainly seems that him Reid etc really played the draft and trading well getting Hately for nothing and the NGA on cat B rookie list .
But after reading the AFL rundown of how the draft picks went and discussions to try to get who they wanted it seems both Pedlar and Cook were in big demand and we did well to get.
Whilst didn't understand getting another inside mid in Berry from reading posters obvious he can offer a bit more than the dour inside mid.
Like many surprised with the Rowe pick with lot more highly rated players still there but events since explain why.
Some real talent at club now over last 2 years and new coaching structure the future looks bright amongst the gloom of 2020.
Don't know about the Pedlar demand story. Not saying he's not worth it, but legend has it we needed to use (original) pick 9 as GWS or Freo would get him if not.

Watching the GWS feed they clearly didn't have him on their radar for any of their first 3 picks.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg

Even happier with our draft performance after reading this. I'm glad we pulled the trigger on Pedlar as it sounds like he would have been gone by Fremantle's pick. Cook seems to be an absolute steal, a fair few clubs interested in him a lot higher up the draft order than he went.
Some of the info out of GWS seems like rubbish. Apparently they were happy Cox and Perkins got picked up by Essendon because they were much further down the talent order for GWS? Have they seen Cox play?

It seems like a rather safe draft for the most part. Berry and Pedlar look like the types who should end up playing a lot of games being super aggressive inside midfielders. Thilthorpe looks like a good forward prospect and Cook looks like the high ceiling forward/mid Adelaide have been missing since Dangerfield decided to become a superstar midfielder instead. We'll certainly get value out of the Rowe pick now as well, though we've probably replaced Stengle with a Stengle who doesn't have the off-field issues. Safe, but a very needed draft noting our inside issues and also for Nicks to start getting players that'll mesh with what he wants to do, which Pedlar and Berry will do.

Getting Hately in PSD is an absolute gift.

Rookie draft wise. Borlase looks like a likely delist in 3-6 years, though considering McPherson and Doedee had issues staying healthy in the past few years (as well as injuries will happen to others), James will certainly get games at some point to nail down a spot. Newchurch will either win an AA at some point, or delisted without playing a game in 2-3 years, but if he figures it out, he'll be icing (and the end of Lachlan Murphys AFL career). Considering both are Cat Bs, I'm pretty happy with both.

Last edited:

Even happier with our draft performance after reading this. I'm glad we pulled the trigger on Pedlar as it sounds like he would have been gone by Fremantle's pick. Cook seems to be an absolute steal, a fair few clubs interested in him a lot higher up the draft order than he went.
Some of the info out of GWS seems like rubbish. Apparently they were happy Cox and Perkins got picked up by Essendon because they were much further down the talent order for GWS? Have they seen Cox play?

" They set a high price: this year's top pick, a future first-rounder and a player – in the case of the Swans, Dylan Stephens"

Dodoro would be proud (though, that's exactly what you do if someone wants to upgrade pick 1).

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Absolutely..fascinating how it all played out. I also forgot that as we traded up 2 places for Cook, it then made him a late 1st round pick so we had 3 x 1st round picks in this draft.

What is also interesting is how each club gets a feel for what another club may do and then look to try and get in ahead of that club to snare a player

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
" They set a high price: this year's top pick, a future first-rounder and a player – in the case of the Swans, Dylan Stephens"

Dodoro would be proud (though, that's exactly what you do if someone wants to upgrade pick 1).
So maybe Faith was right..we did want Stephens in the end hahaha

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

The worst they can do is say no.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

And some people around here wanted us to give up pick #1 for a top-4 pick in 2020 and a future 2nd. Idiots...

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

And it also debunks the line several on here were pushing that the GWS were heavily into Pedlar....If Twomey is to be believed of course.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nope, no way...... we traded down expressly to take McAsey, no way we do that if we wanted Stephens at that point in time.
491853_235e187bec7f162e21a64b9ca4822a67.gif
... he's tying to get his bottle of wine.

So maybe Faith was right..we did want Stephens in the end hahaha

Faiths contact is a timelord!

Which means we're trading Thilthorpe for pick 9 in 2021 :'(

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'm pretty bullish on Thilthorpe, Pedlar and Berry. You can't overlook a decent KPF/Ruck prospect who happens to be local so I'm happy we used our first pick on Thilthorpe. Pedlar and Berry look like the exact sort of midfielders we need right now. Big bodies who impose themselves on the contest and a bit of mongrel. I don't think it will be long before those boys are getting games.

I'm not confident about the rest of our draftees. Rowe was a big fish in a small pond playing in the SANFL and I'm wondering whether that form translates to the AFL. I feel that Newchurch could be anything from a superstar to a complete dud. Borlase I can't really comment on as there seems to be bugger all footage of the guy going around. He's a big unit for his age though.

Back