List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez you’re pretty tough to please if your not stoked with this haul. All these kids to come through together should leave a lot of fans extremely hopeful about our imminent future!!
To be fair there are still plenty of fans who would vividly recall Grundy/Broomhead/Kennedy and Scharenberg/Freeman as being recent false dawns for the club.

We need these selections to yield difference-making players.

It's sad but he's got a good head on his shoulder and I think he'll keep his name in the conversation over the next few years, he's a smart kid with a dream

I think it's clear that clubs aren't excited about his lack of athleticism and he's a bit overweight at 194cm / 100kg, given that he doesn't appear to have an AFL standard rig at that weight. Unfortunately the current situation with list sizes contracting over the next couple of years doesn't lend itself well to listing a player for at least 2 years who may not be able to get their fitness and athleticism up to the standard expected of an AFL KPF for another year or maybe even two.

There might still be a chance for him via the supplemental draft if he's willing to really bust his arse and get into AFL-standard shape over the preseason. A club like ours should certainly be taking a swing by inviting a another KPP or two down to the club to do a pre-season, so hopefully we do look at inviting him up to the Holden Centre for a few months to see if he is willing to get himself into AFL shape.

To be fair there are still plenty of fans who would vividly recall Grundy/Broomhead/Kennedy and Scharenberg/Freeman as being recent false dawns for the club.

We need these selections to yield difference-making players.

Completely agree.

Surface level, big tick for the club last night - all that talk about wanting to ‘get into the draft’ came through with 5 picks in 31.

But we’ve all heard how Nathan Murphy was a steal, Rantall & Bianco were sliders. It’s early days for all 3 but they haven’t played and we were lauding their arrivals.

- Kennedy, Broomhead - Shaz, Freeman

Hopefully we look back and this was similar to Geelongs 1999 draft;
Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Ling, Enright.

No guarantees any of these kids will make it but I think the Club has done well and I have no issues with any of the selections and how we went about it.

Still a long time until round 1

A quick analysis of our National 'LEVER' Draft.

We started with Pick 14, Pick 16, Pick 65, Pick 66, Pick 68, Pick 75, Pick 91, Pick 105, Pick 116 and Pick 122.

Our first two picks:
Pick 14 became Oliver Henry. TICK.
Pick 16 became Finlay Macrae. TICK.

Then:
OUT
Future Rd 1 - Based on 2020 ladder that is 1,329 points.
Future Rd 2 - Based on 2020 ladder that is 653 points.
Future Rd 4 - Based on 2020 ladder that is 90 points.
Remaining 2020 picks (various pick swaps)

IN
Reef McInnes
Caleb Poulter
Liam McMahon
Beau McCreery
Future Rd 3 (Adelaide) - Based on 2020 ladder that is 483 points.
Future Rd 3 (Fremantle) - Based on 2020 ladder that is 378 points.
Future Rd 4 (GWS) - Based on 2020 ladder that is 112 points.

The club had a plan and went out and pulled at every 'lever' they saw after a disastrous trade period. Clearly any Daicos bid next year will eat up early picks. Hence our approach into trading into the early parts of this draft and the later parts of next years draft for Daicos points.

Estimating based off the 2020 ladder, we gave up 1,099 points (Pick 16 roughly). But that deficit + our very late picks in these years draft have netted us four very exciting prospects!

The real success of this draft won't be known for a numbers of years of course and although I wanted a few other players (ala Cox), the club has no doubt done a exceptional job given our initial draft hand. This is where you make your money off data analysts! An astute trade period by Hine.

By the sounds of it, we've drated some very likely kids, but I reckon we got smashed in those pick trades.

I think we already had enough Reef poings, so unless I'm missing something the wash up of all those trades was:

OUT:
future first
future second

IN:
pick 30,31,44
future 3rd
future 3rd
future 4th

And a couple of the picks were used on blokes we may not have needed to trade in order to draft. We may have sold future first and future second for Poulter and 3 picks in above 55.

I actually thought the same. It reminded me of the Riccardi highlights. But athleticism just has to be the issue, otherwise surely someone would have picked him.

Could be they're scared of man child syndrome.
But id counter that with he performed well vs tas state adults and also Sydney Swans 2nds vs bigger bodies anyway.

By the sounds of it, we've drated some very likely kids, but I reckon we got smashed in those pick trades.

I think we already had enough Reef poings, so unless I'm missing something the wash up of all those trades was:

OUT:
future first
future second

IN:
pick 30,31,44
future 3rd
future 3rd
future 4th

And a couple of the picks were used on blokes we may not have needed to trade in order to draft. We may have sold future first and future second for Poulter and 3 picks in above 55.

It really was a lot to give up for picks 30 and beyond. I know we don't need the future 1st next year, but it still would've been a very strong bargaining chip from a trade perspective.

The future 2nd made sense to snare the points for Reef. Fair bit riding on Poulter and McMahon now to pay off for the investment. We've been hit and miss with these picks around the 30 mark. We did well with Maynard at 30, and Poulter is a very similar mould i reckon. So if he turns out anywhere near as good it will be worth it. I think we'll also need to snare a FA next year so that we don't require any first round picks for a trade.

It really was a lot to give up for picks 30 and beyond. I know we don't need the future 1st next year, but it still would've been a very strong bargaining chip from a trade perspective.

The future 2nd made sense to snare the points for Reef. Fair bit riding on Poulter and McMahon now to pay off for the investment. We've been hit and miss with these picks around the 30 mark. We did well with Maynard at 30, and Poulter is a very similar mould i reckon. So if he turns out anywhere near as good it will be worth it. I think we'll also need to snare a FA next year so that we don't require any first round picks for a trade.

We already had the points for Reef., as a result of the trade with Brisbane last week.

How many of these guys will be in our round 1 team?
I can see Henry, Macrae and possibly even Reef in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it gives a feeling that the club is trying to walk two timelines at once. There's still a few older heads that would be looking to compete and a lot of younger guys which indicates a rebuild of sorts. Not a lot of guys in that 23-28 bracket that is usually indicative of contending teams.

I also wonder what effect this approach has on the coach. Adding a bunch of young guys is unlikely to translate to a rise up the ladder. Is the intention to contend next year? Is the intention for Nathan to play kids and rebuild again?
Apex36

Still would've been in significant deficit though wouldn't have we? And at the time of making the trade, we probably didn't know how late he'd go.
we were never going to be in much of a deficit. Supposedly, we had enough to cover an early 20s pick. And if he got bid on before our picks it would've come off our early picks.

I think some Kudos to the team for dusting themselves off after a month of huge criticism, and getting the job done last night.

It really was a disaster of a trade period, both for the fact we lost quality players due to salary cap issues, but also for the terrible return we got for them. But sometimes you just have to suck it up, accept the mistake, do what you have to do to fix the problem, and start rebuilding.

I think that's what we did. It was better to take a few blows but repair the cap problems, than again push it all to one side for another year, delaying the inevitable. At the end of the day, our list has been unchanged for about 3 years, so the fresh faces are going to add some energy for sure. I'd definitely prefer this outcome than having done absolutely nothing all off-season from a recruiting standpoint.

A lot of questions need to be asked as to how we found ourselves in this position....but hopefully now we've steadied the ship and can approach next year without the cap burdens that have plagued us for years.

OSITION: Outside Midfielder/Defender
DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Chugg is a well balanced player who can pull the trigger on runs or mow down opposition players.” – Peter Williams
Isaac Chugg is a Tasmanian prospect who is rare in the sense that he has a lot of strengths, but also a lot to improve on. The Launceston talent has no issues whatsoever when it comes to the athletic aspects of football; with elite speed, agility and vertical leap which makes him a difficult player to contain when he gets going. He uses the ball well, reads it soundly when in flight and can take off from half-back or provide defensive support to slow down attacking players. The question marks come over his consistency and endurance, which go hand-in-hand with each other. Furthermore, he does not rack up a heap of the ball, and he would be more damaging if he did, while also having room to build a greater inside game. Overall, he has a lot of pluses that would have earned him a late call-up to the AFL Draft Combine.
STRENGTHS:
  • Speed
  • Vertical leap
  • Agility
  • Disposal
  • Reading the play
  • Offensive/defensive balance
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Endurance
  • Consistency
  • Accumulation
Chugg is an eye-catching player, there is no doubt about that. He is one of those players that could have half a dozen disposals in a game but you leave remembering him for what he did. Often it might be a three or four-bounce run from half-back along the wing, or a hard-fought run-down tackle to stop an opponent in his tracks. Either way, Chugg has that nice blend of offensive and defensive traits, which make him a two-way runner. Speaking of running, Chugg is a national representative, competing at the Australian All Schools Championships last year in the 400m. Not only does he have the middle distance speed, but he has that acceleration over 20m, notching a time of 2.93 seconds in the preseason and 2.95 seconds at the recent Draft Combine.
The Launceston talent did well to play nine TSL games this year, mixed with five in the TSL Development League. The Blues ended up winning the premiership which Chugg was a part of, and the large reason was a switch in position. As a winger, Chugg showed some signs, but was not consistent enough, then being thrown to half-back he took up the challenge and shone. There was still a lot to work on, but with his vertical leap, agility and speed, Chugg added reading of the play to his strengths because of his ability to sit at half-back, read it well in flight and intercept mark, then take off again. He still did not win a heap of the ball, but he was still adding more strings to his bow.
His accumulation could certainly rise, averaging 12 touches for the Tasmania Devils last year in the NAB League, though he did win more contested ball than in the TSL where he would play purely outside roles. Chugg has added some size in the past 12 months, going from 72kg at the start of 2019 to 81kg just under 18 months later. This will help him compete with stronger, senior bodies in the future – be it at TSL level or at a different standard altogether. Once he can increase his endurance, Chugg will no doubt be able to impact for longer periods of time, and that will help him gain a more consistent all-round performance.
DRAFT PROJECTION: Rookie
Overall, Chugg is a perfect rookie prospect as a player who is still raw in terms of having a number of areas to work on, but he has a lot of natural ability both from an athletic standpoint and his footy IQ and skills. He can make mistakes from time to time and is not always consistent, but as he gains greater experience at senior level, expect him to improve and be one to watch in the coming years.
NAB League Boys
You’d back an AFL program to get him fit.

I think some Kudos to the team for dusting themselves off after a month of huge criticism, and getting the job done last night.

It really was a disaster of a trade period, both for the fact we lost quality players due to salary cap issues, but also for the terrible return we got for them. But sometimes you just have to suck it up, accept the mistake, do what you have to do to fix the problem, and start rebuilding.

I think that's what we did. It was better to take a few blows but repair the cap problems, than again push it all to one side for another year, delaying the inevitable. At the end of the day, our list has been unchanged for about 3 years, so the fresh faces are going to add some energy for sure. I'd definitely prefer this outcome than having done absolutely nothing all off-season from a recruiting standpoint.

A lot of questions need to be asked as to how we found ourselves in this position....but hopefully now we've steadied the ship and can approach next year without the cap burdens that have plagued us for years.
Sometimes a bit of well aimed criticism can slap you into shape

Still would've been in significant deficit though wouldn't have we? And at the time of making the trade, we probably didn't know how late he'd go.
No, we had enough points to cover him with a bid at that stage I think.

I think it's clear that clubs aren't excited about his lack of athleticism and he's a bit overweight at 194cm / 100kg, given that he doesn't appear to have an AFL standard rig at that weight. Unfortunately the current situation with list sizes contracting over the next couple of years doesn't lend itself well to listing a player for at least 2 years who may not be able to get their fitness and athleticism up to the standard expected of an AFL KPF for another year or maybe even two.

There might still be a chance for him via the supplemental draft if he's willing to really bust his arse and get into AFL-standard shape over the preseason. A club like ours should certainly be taking a swing by inviting a another KPP or two down to the club to do a pre-season, so hopefully we do look at inviting him up to the Holden Centre for a few months to see if he is willing to get himself into AFL shape.

Dont know what Callow your talking about. Unless you think all AFL players should be skegs...
20201210_162840.jpg

Hes just afl ready not even that big imo. #25

Athletically tested very similar to most our players we picked btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back